• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Disc Four

1. Jerry Lawler vs. Bill Dundee (Loser Leaves Town) (6/6/83) [EWY-6]

2. Fabulous Ones vs. The Moondogs (Stretcher Match) (5/2/83) [EWY-4]

3. Fabulous Ones vs. Moondogs (6/13/83) [EWY-7]

4. Jerry Lawler vs. Randy Savage (Cage Match) (12/12/83) [EWY-16]

5. Austin Idol vs. Stan Hansen (Texas Bullrope Match) (10/3/83) [EWY-11]

6. Dutch Mantell, Steve O & The Fabulous Ones vs. Adrian Street, Jesse Barr & The Sheepherders (Stipulations Match) (3/28/83) [EWY-1]

7. Fabulous Ones vs. Bobby Eaton & Duke Myers (Hair vs. Titles) (5/16/83) [EWY-5]

8. Fabulous Ones vs. The Moondogs (4/4/83) [EWY-3]

9. Austin Idol vs. Stan Hansen (Bunkhouse Match) (10/10/83) [EWY-12]

10. Koko Ware vs. Tommy Rogers (10/24/83) [EWY-13]

11. Bill Dundee vs. Assassin #1 (9/25/83) [EWY-9]

12. Bill Dundee vs. Tommy Rogers (11/7/83) [EWY-14]

13. Rock N Roll Express & Bobby Eaton vs. The Moondogs & Jimmy Hart (7/25/83) [EWY-8]

14. Jerry Lawler & Cowboy Lang vs. Plowboy Frazier & Little Tokyo (12/24/83) [EWY-17]

15. Jerry Lawler & Austin Idol vs. Jesse Ventura & Stan Hansen (9/25/83) [EWY-10]

16. Dutch Mantel, Koko Ware, Bobby Eaton & Jaguar vs. The Grapplers & Bruise Brothers (12/10/83) [EWY-15]

17. Bill Dundee vs. Terry Taylor (4/4/83) [EWY-2]

Another really tough disc to rank. Lawler-Dundee was the runaway winner on this disk and is neck and neck for number one overall with Lawler-Mantel barbed wire. Just an awesome match with two guys leaving nothing on the table. I really love when they do the "both guys are exhausted and go for that home run move" finishes. It really just sells how important and tough the match is.

The Fabs-Moondog war is fantastic. I couldn't say a bad thing about any of their matches...anytime the two teams are in the ring, I'm watching.

Even though the finishes stunk, I loved seeing Hansen in Memphis. Not to mention (and I'm sure I'll get ridiculed for this, as I often do), I'm a big fan of IDOLMANIA DARLIN'! :) I love me some Austin Idol.

I have the promos leading up to the Dundee-Rogers and Rogers-Ware matches on some other Memphis disc and it really gave me the perspective on these two matches and brought the enjoyment level up. When Dundee slaps Rogers during an interview, you just want to punch him (Dundee) yourself. He comes off like such an asshole!

The mixed tag was fun and a lot better than I was expecting. Cowboy Lang and Little Tokyo could actually go.

1.Jerry Lawler vs. Bill Dundee (Loser Leaves Town) (6/6/83) [EWY-6]

2.Jerry Lawler vs. Randy Savage (Cage Match) (12/12/83) [EWY-16]

3.Fabulous Ones vs. Moondogs (6/13/83) [EWY-7]

4.Fabulous Ones vs. The Moondogs (Stretcher Match) (5/2/83) [EWY-4]

5.Austin Idol vs. Stan Hansen (Bunkhouse Match) (10/10/83) [EWY-12]

6.Fabulous Ones vs. The Moondogs (4/4/83) [EWY-3]

7.Koko Ware vs. Tommy Rogers (10/24/83) [EWY-13]

8.Bill Dundee vs. Tommy Rogers (11/7/83) [EWY-14]

9.Bill Dundee vs. Terry Taylor (4/4/83) [EWY-2]

10.Dutch Mantel, Koko Ware, Bobby Eaton & Jaguar vs. The Grapplers & Bruise Brothers (12/10/83) [EWY-15]

11.Dutch Mantell, Steve O & The Fabulous Ones vs. Adrian Street, Jesse Barr & The Sheepherders (Stipulations Match) (3/28/83) [EWY-1]

12.Fabulous Ones vs. Bobby Eaton & Duke Myers (Hair vs. Titles) (5/16/83) [EWY-5]

13.Austin Idol vs. Stan Hansen (Texas Bullrope Match) (10/3/83) [EWY-11]

14.Bill Dundee vs. Assassin #1 (9/25/83) [EWY-9]

15.Rock N Roll Express & Bobby Eaton vs. The Moondogs & Jimmy Hart (7/25/83) [EWY-8]

16.Jerry Lawler & Cowboy Lang vs. Plowboy Frazier & Little Tokyo (12/24/83) [EWY-17]

17.Jerry Lawler & Austin Idol vs. Jesse Ventura & Stan Hansen (9/25/83) [EWY-10]

My disc 4 rankings. Some thoughts:

-The ventura match was real bad. So far it's in last place on my overall list. I just couldn't get over Ventura's shitiness.

- That two minute match 10 minute Brawl between the Fabs and the Moondogs was SO awesome. Great, great feud that was.

- I loved both Rogers matches. Especially the Koko Ware one who is really the Mr. Olympia of this set. I've seen some of his heel work in 1993 USWA but man he's awesome here. Bumping like a freak, pissing people off. It's a shame he wasn't like this in WWE.

- I need to see more Heel Bruise Brothers. God they were awesome, especially Porkchop Cash. Why wasn't he like this in Mid South during that shitty Eddie Gilbert tag?

I'm with SLL on the greatness of the Lawler-Bock series. All three matches could end up in my top 20, and I wouldn't feel bad about it, because they're three very different matches. People seem to be rating the middle one lowest, but I loved Lawler's rapid-fire punchfest so much. I'm not sure he ever showed more handspeed. The No DQ was the most "like a fight." The first one was just a great wrestling match that built into something more heated. Great, great series. Will, I'm surprised none of them cracked the top of your list.

I'm with SLL on the greatness of the Lawler-Bock series. All three matches could end up in my top 20, and I wouldn't feel bad about it, because they're three very different matches. People seem to be rating the middle one lowest, but I loved Lawler's rapid-fire punchfest so much. I'm not sure he ever showed more handspeed. The No DQ was the most "like a fight." The first one was just a great wrestling match that built into something more heated. Great, great series. Will, I'm surprised none of them cracked the top of your list.

I actually had the middle one at number one for that disc. I agree that Lawler flurry was just awesome to behold. I actually liked the No DQ the least of the three...but again, that's like saying I like Chocolate the least as an ice cream flavor out of Strawberry, Chocolate and Vanilla. I'm thrilled with any of them :)

I think this thread has evolved into me talking to myself :D What did you think of this match, John? Well, John, I enjoyed it very much...

My rankings for disc five (which was a disc chalk full of tag team excellence)

1. Tommy Rich & Eddie Gilbert vs. Pretty Young Things (Falls Count Anywhere) (5/18/84) [THRILL-7]

2. Jerry Lawler & Randy Savage vs. King Kong Bundy & Rick Rude (9/10/84) [THRILL-15]

3. Rock N Roll Express vs. Lanny Poffo & Randy Savage (7/9/84) [THRILL-11]

4. Jerry Lawler vs. Randy Savage (4/9/84) [THRILL-3]

5. Dirty White Boys vs. Randy Savage & Mark Batten (10/13/84) [THRILL-18]

6. The Fabulous Ones vs. Pretty Young Things (6/25/84) [THRILL-8]

7. Rock N Roll Express vs. Lanny Poffo & Randy Savage (6/25/84) [THRILL-10]

8. Randy Savage vs. Austin Idol (5/7/84) [THRILL-5]

9, Eddie Gilbert & Tommy Rich vs. Pretty Young Things (4/12/84) [THRILL-4]

10. Tommy Rich & Eddie Gilbert vs. Phil Hickerson & The Spoiler (Tennessee Street Fight) (6/25/84) [THRILL-9]

11. Jimmy Valiant vs. The Assassin (Hair vs. Mask) (4/2/84) [THRILL-2]

12. Fabulous Ones vs. The Moondogs (1/9/84) [THRILL-1]

13. Jerry Lawler & Randy Savage vs. King Kong Bundy & Rick Rude (No DQ) (9/17/84) [THRILL-16]

14. Jerry Lawler vs. King Kong Bundy ($10,000 Challenge) (7/16/84) [THRILL-13]

15. Dutch Mantell vs. Eddie Gilbert (9/17/84) [THRILL-17]

16. Randy Savage vs. Rick Rude (9/3/84) [THRILL-14]

17. Randy Savage vs. Austin Idol (5/14/84) [THRILL-6]

18. Tommy Rich vs. Masao Ito (7/9/84) [THRILL-12]

Thoughts:

** As I mentioned above, just full of fantastic tag matches. I really enjoyed the New Fabs vs. PYT feud and the Falls Count Anywhere was a great tag match that evolved into a great brawl. The finish was a little "eh" with the Falls Count Anywhere stip but still, it was never actually mention it was No DQ...just falls counting anywhere, so I can rationalize and live with it. It's almost a shame that Gilbert and Rich didn't just team as Gilber and Rich and do their own thing as they were a top notch babyface team. At first I was a little "where the hell is this going" on Rich's promo about his Mom's boyfriends...but as he went on it became clear and it truly was a great promo. One I hadn't seen before.

** I'm a big fan of the RnR Xpress vs. Poffomania matches. I liked the second one even more than the first because they did a nice job of playing off that match. Savage was a MANIAC...always in constant motion. I love him sneaking around the ring and kicking Morton in the back. Why doesn't a wrestler today adopt this kind of persona? The "movement" in these matches really stands out against a stale, overproduced product today where everyone acts and moves the same.

** I agree with Will in the first Savage/Lawler teaming seemed more epic than the rematch and I think it was a better match overall.

** Loved the actual Lawler-Savage match and it had some great wrestling in it. The finish let me down a little with Lawler popping back up from the piledriver and winning via schoolboy. Morton's slow count didn't help. Still, the action was solid and enjoyable.

** Old Fabs vs. PYTs was just a lot of fun. Some great comedy spots.

** Savage and Idol in the ring together and my ticket is bought and paid for. Two favorites.

Overall a really strong disc. Tough to rank past 3 or 4. It even had a very strong Jimmy Valiant match! The Valiant PWI from when I was growing up where he speaks out in an "Open letter to the fans: It's time for you to boogie woogie" cracks me up still today :)

1.Jerry Lawler vs. Randy Savage (4/9/84) [THRILL-3]

2.Tommy Rich & Eddie Gilbert vs. Pretty Young Things (Falls Count Anywhere) (5/18/84) [THRILL-7]

3.Tommy Rich & Eddie Gilbert vs. Phil Hickerson & The Spoiler (Tennessee Street Fight) (6/25/84) [THRILL-9]

4.Fabulous Ones vs. The Moondogs (1/9/84) [THRILL-1]

5.Jerry Lawler & Randy Savage vs. King Kong Bundy & Rick Rude (9/10/84) [THRILL-15]

6.Jerry Lawler & Randy Savage vs. King Kong Bundy & Rick Rude (No DQ) (9/17/84) [THRILL-16]

7.Rock N Roll Express vs. Lanny Poffo & Randy Savage (6/25/84) [THRILL-10]

8.Randy Savage vs. Austin Idol (5/7/84) [THRILL-5]

9.The Fabulous Ones vs. Pretty Young Things (6/25/84) [THRILL-8]

10.Randy Savage vs. Rick Rude (9/3/84) [THRILL-14]

11.Jerry Lawler vs. King Kong Bundy ($10,000 Challenge) (7/16/84) [THRILL-13]

12.Jimmy Valiant vs. The Assassin (Hair vs. Mask) (4/2/84) [THRILL-2]

13.Eddie Gilbert & Tommy Rich vs. Pretty Young Things (4/12/84) [THRILL-4]

14.Rock N Roll Express vs. Lanny Poffo & Randy Savage (7/9/84) [THRILL-11]

15.Dirty White Boys vs. Randy Savage & Mark Batten (10/13/84) [THRILL-18]

16.Tommy Rich vs. Masao Ito (7/9/84) [THRILL-12]

17.Dutch Mantell vs. Eddie Gilbert (9/17/84) [THRILL-17

This was the Randy Savage disc. After finishing it, I've come to the conclusion that Randy Savage is probably my favorite wrestler ever. He was great as a heel but he was outstanding as a babyface. Especially in the Rude match and the tag matches with Lawler. That streetfight with Rich and Gilbert I feel will be underrated for this poll. It such a great brawl.

I've had the Memphis disks since day one but have been busy. :angry:

Luckily I have time now! :P

Just finished Disk #1. Looking at you guys picks mine or a bit different:

Floyd - Memphis Disk #1:

1. Jerry Lawler vs. Terry Funk (Empty Arena) (4/6/81) [bADNEWS-11] - Funk gets Lawler one-on-one in an empty arena! No ref, no rules, no way for Lawler to weasel out.

2. Jerry Lawler vs. Terry Funk (No DQ) (3/23/81) [bADNEWS-9] - Great main event match with Funk doing his usual scthick to a hot Memphis crowd.

3. Jerry Lawler vs. Dory Funk Jr. (3/30/81) [bADNEWS-10] - A week after and Terry's big brother comes to Memphis. A completely opposite match but a good one. Dory keeps it on but the fans give Lawler the strength for the comeback.

4. Bill Dundee vs. Wayne Farris & Tojo Yamamoto (3/7/81) [bADNEWS-6] - Was scheduled to be Dundee & Tommy Rich defending the titles but Rich didn't make it. So now Dundee's defending the belt in a handicap match. Can he make it to the time limit for a draw?

5. Ricky Morton vs. Sonny King (4/26/80) [bADNEWS-2] - I can see people thinking this is a boring load o' crap but I actually dug it. it reminded me of my wrestling high school days. Wrestling exhibition between two fan favorites, not a brawl but aggressive.

6. Bill Dundee & Tony Boyles vs. Wayne Farris & Larry Latham (6/7/80) [bADNEWS-4]

7. Bill Dundee vs. Tommy Rich (8/23/80) [bADNEWS-5]

8. Bill Dundee & Tommy Rich vs. Dutch Mantell & Austin Idol (3/12/81) [bADNEWS-7]

9. Bill Dundee vs. Larry Latham (4/19/80) [bADNEWS-1]

10. Jerry Lawler vs. Crusher Blackwell (5/4/81) [bADNEWS-13]

11. Dutch Mantell vs. Kevin Sullivan (5/9/81) [bADNEWS-14]

12. Bill Dundee & Dream Machine vs. Dutch Mantell & Wayne Farris (3/14/81) [bADNEWS-8]

13. Bill Dundee & Dream Machine vs. Kevin Sullivan & Wayne Farris (5/2/81) [bADNEWS-12]

14. Bill Dundee vs. Paul Ellering (5/24/80) [bADNEWS-3]

I'll probably be one of the higher ranks of Morton/King, Dory/Lawler and B. Bombers/Dundee & Boyles, but they seem to be in the right place for me.

On to Disk #2!

Disc 6:

1.Jerry Lawler vs. Randy Savage (Loser Leaves Town) (6/3/85) [WARMACH-14]

2.Fabulous Ones vs. The Sheepherders (Cage Match) (8/6/85) [WARMACH-17]

3.Rock N Roll Express vs. The Nightmares (1/13/85) [WARMACH-4]

4.Fabulous Ones vs. Pretty Young Things (4/22/85) [WARMACH-10]

5.Dirty White Boys vs. The Interns (1/14/85) [WARMACH-5]

6.Jerry Lawler & Austin Idol vs. Michael Hayes & Terry Gordy (8/5/85) [WARMACH-16]

7.Randy Savage vs. Jerry Oski (5/7/85) [WARMACH-11]

8.Fabulous Ones vs. The Sheepherders (Boyd & Morgan) (6/22/85) [WARMACH-15

9.Ted Oates & Rip Rogers vs. Lightning Express (11/10/84) [WARMACH-1]

10.Randy Savage vs. Adrian Street (1/28/85) [WARMACH-6]

11.Tommy Rich vs. Moondog Rex (4/22/85) [WARMACH-9]

12.Lanny Poffo vs. Jerry Oski (5/18/85) [WARMACH-12]

13.Ronnie Garvin vs. Eddie Gilbert (11/17/84) [WARMACH-2]

14.Jerry Lawler vs. Bruiser Brody (5/20/85) [WARMACH-13

15.Nightmares vs. Batten Brothers (12/29/84) [WARMACH-3]

16.Pretty Young Things vs. The Daydreamers (Texas Tornado) (3/25/85) [WARMACH-8]

17.Randy Savage, Lanny Poffo & Joe Lightfoot vs. Mr. Wrestling, Eddie Gilbert & Adrian Street (3/4/85) [WARMACH-7]

This disc had some really good tag matches I thought. The Fabs continue to impress me in the feud with the Sheephearders. That tag match was just insane. Lawler/Savage is in my top 5 right now. Just a great match all around.

Here's my Disc Six:

Disc Six

1. Jerry Lawler vs. Randy Savage (Loser Leaves Town) (6/3/85) [WARMACH-14]

2. Fabulous Ones vs. The Sheepherders (Cage Match) (8/6/85) [WARMACH-17]

3. Randy Savage vs. Jerry Oski (5/7/85) [WARMACH-11]

4. Fabulous Ones vs. Pretty Young Things (4/22/85) [WARMACH-10]

5. Rock N Roll Express vs. The Nightmares (1/13/85) [WARMACH-4]

6. Jerry Lawler & Austin Idol vs. Michael Hayes & Terry Gordy (8/5/85) [WARMACH-16]

7. Randy Savage vs. Adrian Street (1/28/85) [WARMACH-6]

8. Dirty White Boys vs. The Interns (1/14/85) [WARMACH-5]

9. Tommy Rich vs. Moondog Rex (4/22/85) [WARMACH-9]

10. Fabulous Ones vs. The Sheepherders (Boyd & Morgan) (6/22/85) [WARMACH-15]

11. Ted Oates & Rip Rogers vs. Lightning Express (11/10/84) [WARMACH-1]

12. Lanny Poffo vs. Jerry Oski (5/18/85) [WARMACH-12]

13. Pretty Young Things vs. The Daydreamers (Texas Tornado) (3/25/85) [WARMACH-8]

14. Jerry Lawler vs. Bruiser Brody (5/20/85) [WARMACH-13]

15. Nightmares vs. Batten Brothers (12/29/84) [WARMACH-3]

16. Randy Savage, Lanny Poffo & Joe Lightfoot vs. Mr. Wrestling, Eddie Gilbert & Adrian Street (3/4/85) [WARMACH-7]

17. Ronnie Garvin vs. Eddie Gilbert (11/17/84) [WARMACH-2]

** Both the Savage-Lawler and Savage-Oski matches were awesome. Even with as much missing from the matches as there were. I can't imagine how high they would have ranked overall in completion.

** I loved the wild Fabs-Sheepherders cage match. Just rampant insanity and the torn down cage wall and crazy ending added to it.

** Rock & Rolls vs. Nightmares was old school tag teaming at it's best. Great double team and comedy spots. I truly love Southern territory era tag team wrestling. I think it's a style all it's own.

** It was great hearing Lance and Gordon calling matches together. What was the story behind that? Also, I've been meaning to mention this and always neglect to...It's really astounding how clear the commentary is on the Mid South Coliseum matches. .. especially considering Lance (or Randy) is just using a standard, corded hand mike. The fact that they come across so clearly and don't get messed up is really a testament to the announcing.

My rankings for disc #8:

1. Jerry Lawler vs. Bam Bam Bigelow (Texas Death Match--9/7/1986)

2. Jerry Lawler vs. Curt Hennig (Title vs. Retirement--5/9/1988)

3. Nick Bockwinkel vs. Jeff Jarrett (5/4/1987)

4. Jerry Lawler vs. Austin Idol (Hair vs. Hair Steel Cage Match--4/27/1987) Which shows you how awesome this set is, as this was one of my favorite matches ever for years)

5. Jerry Lawler/Bam Bam Bigelow vs. Austin Idol/Tommy Rich (Texas Death Match--3/23/1987)

6. Jerry Lawler vs. Eddie Gilbert (no DQ--3/28/1988)

7. Jerry Lawler/Bam Bam Bigelow vs. Austin Idol/Tommy Rich (Double Jeopardy Match--3/16/1987)

8. Jeff Jarrett/Tracy Smothers/Billy Travis vs. Badd Company/Carl Fergie (8/29/1987)

9. Eddie Marlin vs. Tommy Gilbert (Cowboy Boot Match--4/4/1988)

The bottom two actively bored me, but everything else is good to fantastic.

I'm about halfway through disc seven but HOLY CRAP was Flair-Koko an awesome match. I may like it even more than the Lawler-Dundee LLT/Hair match on the same disc (only because of what seems to be a huge chunk clipped out in the middle from seeing the highlights. I would have liked to see Lawler regain the advantage rather than have it come back with him in control outside the ring).

These two will need rewatching. Great stuff!

I'm half way through disc 6, but I figured I should start posting my lists. Take into account that I've never been much of a "rating matches" type guy, and my choices are based totally on what entertained me the most, usually after getting tight.

Disc One:

1.Jerry Lawler vs. Terry Funk (Empty Arena) (4/6/81)

2.Jerry Lawler vs. Terry Funk (No DQ) (3/23/81)

3.Jerry Lawler vs. Crusher Blackwell (5/4/81)

4.Bill Dundee & Dream Machine vs. Kevin Sullivan & Wayne Farris (5/2/81)

5.Bill Dundee vs. Wayne Farris & Tojo Yamamoto (3/7/81)

6.Bill Dundee & Dream Machine vs. Dutch Mantell & Wayne Farris (3/14/81)

7.Bill Dundee vs. Tommy Rich (8/23/80)

8.Bill Dundee & Tommy Rich vs. Dutch Mantell & Austin Idol (3/12/81)

9.Bill Dundee vs. Larry Latham (4/19/80)

10.Ricky Morton vs. Sonny King (4/26/80)

11.Bill Dundee & Tony Boyles vs. Wayne Farris & Larry Latham

12.Dutch Mantell vs. Kevin Sullivan (5/9/81)

13.Jerry Lawler vs. Dory Funk Jr. (3/30/81)

14.Bill Dundee vs. Paul Ellering (5/24/80)

Disc 2:

1.Ricky Morton & Eddie Gilbert vs. Masa Fuchi & Atsushi Onita (Tupelo Concession Stand Brawl) (9/4/81)

2.Jerry Lawler vs. Dutch Mantell (Barbed Wire Match) (3/29/82)

3.Bobby Eaton & Sweet Brown Sugar vs. Dutch Mantell & King Cobra (7/19/82)

4.Jerry Lawler vs. Ric Flair (8/14/82)

5.Jerry Lawler vs. Dutch Mantell (No DQ) (3/22/82)

6.Bill Dundee vs. Bobby Eaton (7/24/82)

7.Jerry Lawler vs. Dutch Mantell (Loser Leaves Town) (3/27/82)

8.Bill Dundee vs. Sweet Brown Sugar (2/3 falls, Scaffold Match) (6/21/82)

9.Bill Dundee, Steve Keirn, Rick & Robert Gibson vs. Dream Machine, Nightmare #1 & Heartbreakers (7/25/81)

10.Jerry Lawler & Bill Dundee vs. Masa Fuchi & Atsushi Onita (8/1/81)

11.Masa Fuchi, Atsushi Onita & Tojo Yamamoto vs. Roy Rogers, Rick & Robert Gibson (9/5/81)

12.Stan Lane & Koko Ware vs. Eddie Gilbert & Ricky Morton (No DQ, 2/3 Falls) (10/81)

Disc 3:

1.Jerry Lawler vs. Nick Bockwinkel (No DQ) (11/8/82)

2.Jerry Lawler vs. Nick Bockwinkel (10/18/82)

3.Bill Dundee & Bobby Fulton vs. Bobby Eaton & Sweet Brown Sugar (11/15/82)

4.Jackie Fargo vs. Jimmy Hart (11/8/82)

5.Jerry Lawler vs. Nick Bockwinkel (10/25/82)

6.Jerry Lawler, Bill Dundee, Dutch Mantell & Terry Taylor vs. Bobby Eaton, Sweet Brown Sugar, Rick McGraw & Sabu (12/4/82)

7.Ronnie Garvin vs. Randy Savage (Cage Match) (ICW 1982/83)

8.Fabulous Ones vs. The New York Dolls (2/3 Falls) (11/13/82)

9.New York Dolls vs. Steve Regal & Spike Huber (10/4/82)

10.Bill Dundee vs. Adrian Street, Miss Linda & Jim Cornette (Lumberjack Strap Match) (2/6/83)

11.Ronnie Garvin vs. Lanny Poffo (ICW 1982/83)

12.Bill Dundee & Jerry Lawler vs. Adrian Street & Apocalypse (11/27/82

13.Bobby Eaton & Sweet Brown Sugar vs. Jacques Rougeau & Terry Taylor (1/1/83)

Disc 4:

1.Jerry Lawler vs. Bill Dundee (Loser Leaves Town) (6/6/83)

2.Fabulous Ones vs. The Moondogs (Stretcher Match) (5/2/83)

3.Fabulous Ones vs. Moondogs (6/13/83)

4.Fabulous Ones vs. The Moondogs (4/4/83)

5.Fabulous Ones vs. Bobby Eaton & Duke Myers (Hair vs. Titles) (5/16/83)

6.Rock N Roll Express & Bobby Eaton vs. The Moondogs & Jimmy Hart (7/25/83)

7.Jerry Lawler vs. Randy Savage (Cage Match) (12/12/83)

8.Bill Dundee vs. Assassin #1 (9/25/83)

9.Koko Ware vs. Tommy Rogers (10/24/83)

10.Dutch Mantel, Koko Ware, Bobby Eaton & Jaguar vs. The Grapplers & Bruise Brothers (12/10/83)

11.Jerry Lawler & Cowboy Lang vs. Plowboy Frazier & Little Tokyo (12/24/83)

12.Bill Dundee vs. Tommy Rogers (11/7/83)

13.Dutch Mantell, Steve O & The Fabulous Ones vs. Adrian Street, Jesse Barr & The Sheepherders (Stipulations Match) (3/28/83)

14.Austin Idol vs. Stan Hansen (Bunkhouse Match) (10/10/83)

15.Austin Idol vs. Stan Hansen (Texas Bullrope Match) (10/3/83)

16.Bill Dundee vs. Terry Taylor (4/4/83)

17.Jerry Lawler & Austin Idol vs. Jesse Ventura & Stan Hansen (9/25/83)

Disc 5:

1.Tommy Rich & Eddie Gilbert vs. Phil Hickerson & The Spoiler (Tennessee Street Fight) (6/25/84)

2.Tommy Rich & Eddie Gilbert vs. Pretty Young Things (Falls Count Anywhere) (5/18/84)

3.Jerry Lawler vs. King Kong Bundy ($10,000 Challenge) (7/16/84)

4.Fabulous Ones vs. The Moondogs (1/9/84)

5.Rock N Roll Express vs. Lanny Poffo & Randy Savage (6/25/84)

6.Jerry Lawler & Randy Savage vs. King Kong Bundy & Rick Rude (9/10/84)

7.Jerry Lawler & Randy Savage vs. King Kong Bundy & Rick Rude (No DQ) (9/17/84)

8.Jimmy Valiant vs. The Assassin (Hair vs. Mask) (4/2/84)

9.Dutch Mantell vs. Eddie Gilbert (9/17/84)

10. Rock N Roll Express vs. Lanny Poffo & Randy Savage (7/9/84)

11.Jerry Lawler vs. Randy Savage (4/9/84)

12.Randy Savage vs. Rick Rude (9/3/84)

13.The Fabulous Ones vs. Pretty Young Things (6/25/84)

14.Eddie Gilbert & Tommy Rich vs. Pretty Young Things (4/12/84)

15.Randy Savage vs. Austin Idol (5/14/84)

16.Tommy Rich vs. Masao Ito (7/9/84)

17.Randy Savage vs. Austin Idol (5/7/84)

18.Dirty White Boys vs. Randy Savage & Mark Batten (10/13/84)

I'll be changing shit a bunch I'd imagine.

• 2 weeks later...

My Disc Seven rankings:

1. Jerry Lawler vs. Bill Dundee (No DQ, Loser Leaves Town) (12/30/85)

2. Koko Ware vs. Ric Flair (11/18/85)

3. Jerry Lawler vs. Bill Dundee (No DQ, Loser Leaves Town) (7/14/86)

4. Jerry Lawler & Dutch Mantel vs. Bill Dundee & Buddy Landel (3/10/86)

5. Jerry Lawler vs. Bill Dundee (10/19/85)

6. Jerry Lawler & Austin Idol vs. Michael Hayes & Terry Gordy (Badstreet Match) (8/12/85)

7. Jerry Lawler vs. Rick Martel (Nashville 10/12/85)

8. Rock N Roll Express vs. Ivan Koloff & Krusher Khrushchev (9/30/85)

9. Jerry Lawler, Dusty Rhodes & Magnum T.A. vs. Ole Anderson, Arn Anderson & Tully Blanchard (11/18/85)

10. The Nightmares vs. Fire and Flame (7/12/86)

11. Koko Ware vs. Masked Superstar (Jerry Stubbs) (10/26/85)

12. The Nightmares vs. Mod Squad (Wear a Dress vs. Make-up Session) (7/21/86)

13. Jerry Lawler & Bill Dundee vs. Tom Pritchard & Pat Rose (10/12/85)

14. Bill Dundee & Sherri Martel vs. Koko Ware & Candi Divine (10/26/85)

Thoughts:

** The Dundee-Lawler and Koko-Flair were neck and neck the whole way with me. I would really tie them both for number as far as how much I enjoyed both. I went with DvL as #1 though, due to the fact that if there wasn't any clipping, I would have ranked it there. Both matches are two of my favorites on the set.

** I really love the whole Lawler/Dutch/Buddy/Dundee saga and the top of my listings represents that pretty well. The 3/10 tag is fantastic.

** I enjoyed the Martel-Lawler match a lot and really liked seeing Martel's "pre-Model" heel streak come out.

** Was disappointed in the Koko-Masked Superstar match as Stubbs has grown into a favorite since I've been watching the old MSW TV shows. Plus the original MS is one of my all time favorites.

** Randy Hales' "JESUS CHRIST" call on the Nightmares tope spot cracked me up. I "rewound" it about 3 times and laughed everytime.

** I thought the mixed tag was actually fun (kind of in the same way as the mixed midget tag was). Not something I'd rate highly but also not something I was bored watching by any stretch.

Jerry Lawler vs. Bill Dundee (No DQ, Loser Leaves Town) (12/30/85) [EYETIGER-10]

Koko Ware vs. Ric Flair (11/18/85) [EYETIGER-9]

Jerry Lawler & Dutch Mantel vs. Bill Dundee & Buddy Landel (3/10/86) [EYETIGER-11]

Jerry Lawler, Dusty Rhodes & Magnum T.A. vs. Ole Anderson, Arn Anderson & Tully Blanchard (11/18/85) [EYETIGER-8]

Jerry Lawler vs. Bill Dundee (No DQ, Loser Leaves Town) (7/14/86) [EYETIGER-13]

Jerry Lawler vs. Rick Martel (Nashville 10/12/85) [EYETIGER-4]

Jerry Lawler & Austin Idol vs. Michael Hayes & Terry Gordy (Badstreet Match) (8/12/85) [EYETIGER-1]

Koko Ware vs. Masked Superstar (Jerry Stubbs) (10/26/85) [EYETIGER-6]

Bill Dundee & Sherri Martel vs. Koko Ware & Candi Divine (10/26/85) [EYETIGER-7]

The Nightmares vs. Mod Squad (Wear a Dress vs. Make-up Session) (7/21/86) [EYETIGER-14]

Rock N Roll Express vs. Ivan Koloff & Krusher Khrushchev (9/30/85) [EYETIGER-2]

Jerry Lawler & Bill Dundee vs. Tom Pritchard & Pat Rose (10/12/85) [EYETIGER-3]

Lawler/Dundee is my number 1 right now. This disc had some awesome matches and some real shitty ones like the Pritchard/Rose match. I'm about 4 matches in Disc 8 and all 4 matches are in my top 20 right now. Just a great disc so far.

• 2 weeks later...

My Disc 6 Rankings

1.Jerry Lawler vs. Randy Savage (Loser Leaves Town) (6/3/85)

2.Fabulous Ones vs. Pretty Young Things (4/22/85)

3.Rock N Roll Express vs. The Nightmares (1/13/85)

4.Fabulous Ones vs. The Sheepherders (Cage Match) (8/6/85)

5.Jerry Lawler & Austin Idol vs. Michael Hayes & Terry Gordy (8/5/85)

6.Randy Savage vs. Jerry Oski (5/7/85)

7.Dirty White Boys vs. The Interns (1/14/85)

8.Tommy Rich vs. Moondog Rex (4/22/85)

9.Jerry Lawler vs. Bruiser Brody (5/20/85)

10.Randy Savage vs. Adrian Street (1/28/85)

11.Pretty Young Things vs. The Daydreamers (Texas Tornado) (3/25/85)

12.Fabulous Ones vs. The Sheepherders (Boyd & Morgan) (6/22/85)

13.Ted Oates & Rip Rogers vs. Lightning Express (11/10/84)

14.Randy Savage, Lanny Poffo & Joe Lightfoot vs. Mr. Wrestling, Eddie Gilbert & Adrian Street (3/4/85)

15.Nightmares vs. Batten Brothers (12/29/84)

16.Ronnie Garvin vs. Eddie Gilbert (11/17/84)

17. Lanny Poffo vs. Jerry Oski (5/18/85)

Yeah, so... am I the only one that really doesn't dig the Lawler/Savage LLT match from 6/3/85 that much? I mean, I did enjoy it, don't get me wrong, but I definitely don't have it as the number one match from disc 6. I intend to re-watch this as soon as I get done with the set on the first run-through, though, because I went in with expectations that were probably too high considering I'm a massive fan of both guys.

What's also strange is that I didn't dig the Savage/Oski match all that much either. Hell, my number one for disc 6 is the Lanny Poffo v Jerry Oski match, which I loved much, much more than I anticipated.

Actually, here's my rankings for disc 6:

1. Lanny Poffo vs. Jerry Oski (5/18/85) [WARMACH-12]

2. Jerry Lawler vs. Randy Savage (Loser Leaves Town) (6/3/85) [WARMACH-14]

3. Fabulous Ones vs. The Sheepherders (Cage Match) (8/6/85) [WARMACH-17]

4. Fabulous Ones vs. Pretty Young Things (4/22/85) [WARMACH-10]

5. Fabulous Ones vs. The Sheepherders (Boyd & Morgan) (6/22/85) [WARMACH-15]

6. Randy Savage vs. Jerry Oski (5/7/85) [WARMACH-11]

7. Tommy Rich vs. Moondog Rex (4/22/85) [WARMACH-9]

8. Dirty White Boys vs. The Interns (1/14/85) [WARMACH-5]

9. Jerry Lawler & Austin Idol vs. Michael Hayes & Terry Gordy (8/5/85) [WARMACH-16]

10. Pretty Young Things vs. The Daydreamers (Texas Tornado) (3/25/85) [WARMACH-8]

11. Ronnie Garvin vs. Eddie Gilbert (11/17/84) [WARMACH-2]

12. Rock N Roll Express vs. The Nightmares (1/13/85) [WARMACH-4]

13. Randy Savage, Lanny Poffo & Joe Lightfoot vs. Mr. Wrestling, Eddie Gilbert & Adrian Street (3/4/85) [WARMACH-7]

14. Nightmares vs. Batten Brothers (12/29/84) [WARMACH-3]

15. Randy Savage vs. Adrian Street (1/28/85) [WARMACH-6]

16. Jerry Lawler vs. Bruiser Brody (5/20/85) [WARMACH-13]

17. Ted Oates & Rip Rogers vs. Lightning Express (11/10/84) [WARMACH-1]

Looking back on this now, despite only being a few matches short of finishing disc 7, it seems like there's a lot of stuff I need to revisit... because that seems like a pretty crazy order :).

My Disc 7 rankings

1.Jerry Lawler vs. Bill Dundee (No DQ, Loser Leaves Town) (12/30/85)

2.Koko Ware vs. Ric Flair (11/18/85)

3.Jerry Lawler & Dutch Mantel vs. Bill Dundee & Buddy Landel (3/10/86)

4.Jerry Lawler vs. Bill Dundee (No DQ, Loser Leaves Town) (7/14/86)

5.Jerry Lawler vs. Bill Dundee (10/19/85)

6.Jerry Lawler vs. Rick Martel (Nashville 10/12/85)

7.Jerry Lawler & Austin Idol vs. Michael Hayes & Terry Gordy (Badstreet Match) (8/12/85)

8.The Nightmares vs. Mod Squad (Wear a Dress vs. Make-up Session) (7/21/86)

9.Jerry Lawler, Dusty Rhodes & Magnum T.A. vs. Ole Anderson, Arn Anderson & Tully Blanchard (11/18/85)

10.Jerry Lawler & Bill Dundee vs. Tom Pritchard & Pat Rose (10/12/85)

11.The Nightmares vs. Fire and Flame (7/12/86)

12.Koko Ware vs. Masked Superstar (Jerry Stubbs) (10/26/85)

13.Rock N Roll Express vs. Ivan Koloff & Krusher Khrushchev (9/30/85)

14.Bill Dundee & Sherri Martel vs. Koko Ware & Candi Divine (10/26/85)

Just a comment related to the Memphis set. I've been going through some of old the audio shoot files in the multi-media section, and I'm on Terry Funk's shoot as we speak. One of the matches that is in there is the Funk/Lalwer empty arena match.

It's really something, that even as just an audio file, with all you have to listen to being Lance Russell's set up when he's alone in the arena waiting for them to show up, Funk's manic crazy awesome mic work, and then Russel calling the match, it's still amazing. The pictures are almost unneccessary, the story is told so well. Just as nothing but the audio it's still incredible. It's like... some sort of surreal radio broadast. The most aweome radio broadcast ever.

Funk is my favourite interview ever, and Lance Russel is seriously fucking amazing on that match. Between just the two of them, the visuals are almost 100% irrelvant.

My Disc Eight rankings...one more to go!

1. Jerry Lawler vs. Austin Idol (Hair vs. Hair, Steel Cage Match) (4/27/87)

2. Jerry Lawler vs. Curt Hennig (Title vs. Retirement) (5/9/88)

3. Jerry Lawler vs. Bam Bam Bigelow (Texas Death) (9/7/86)

4. Jerry Lawler & Bam Bam Bigelow vs. Austin Idol & Tommy Rich (Texas Death Match) (3/23/87)

5. Nick Bockwinkel vs. Jeff Jarrett (5/4/87)

6. Jerry Lawler & Bam Bam Bigelow vs. Austin Idol & Tommy Rich (Double Jeopardy Match) (3/16/87)

7. Jerry Lawler vs. Eddie Gilbert (No DQ) (3/28/88)

8. Jeff Jarrett, Tracy Smothers, & Billy Travis vs. Badd Company & King Carl Fergie (8/29/87)

9. Eddie Marlin vs. Tommy Gilbert (Cowboy Boot Match) (4/4/88)

** I'm a huge fan of the Lawler vs. Idol/Rich feud. I remember following that feud in Pro Wrestling Illustrated when I was a kid and it was great to see the match here. Great intensity and ingenuity with Rich under the ring.

** Lawler's title win, after years and years chasing it was just so emotional that it brought the entire match up a notch. In a set filled with great stories to sell the matches, what could beat this story?

** Bigelow was at his monstrous best in Memphis and the matches with and against Lawler are a blast.

My Disc 8

1.Jerry Lawler vs. Austin Idol (Hair vs. Hair, Steel Cage Match)

2. Jerry Lawler vs. Bam Bam Bigelow (Texas Death)

3.Jerry Lawler vs. Curt Hennig (Title vs. Retirement)

4. Jerry Lawler & Bam Bam Bigelow vs. Austin Idol & Tommy Rich (Texas Death Match)

5. Nick Bockwinkel vs. Jeff Jarrett

6. Jerry Lawler & Bam Bam Bigelow vs. Austin Idol & Tommy Rich (Double Jeopardy Match)

7.Eddie Marlin vs. Tommy Gilbert (Cowboy Boot Match)

8.Jerry Lawler vs. Eddie Gilbert (No DQ)

9.Jeff Jarrett, Tracy Smothers, & Billy Travis vs. Badd Company & King Carl Fergie

• 3 weeks later...

My Disc 9 rankings.

1.Jerry Lawler vs. Dutch Mantell (5/29/88)

2.Jerry Lawler vs. Kerry Von Erich (9/17/88)

3.Dutch Mantell vs. Jeff Jarrett (1/28/89)

4.Jerry Lawler vs. Kerry Von Erich (6/27/88)

5.Shogun & Samurai vs. Mason Dixon Connection (3/25/89)

6.Bill Dundee & Brickhouse Brown vs. Jimmy Golden & Robert Fuller (9/18/88)

7.Bill Dundee, Jeff Jarrett & Jimmy Valiant vs. Robert Fuller, Jimmy Golden & Tommy Rich (9/17/88)

8.Dutch Mantell vs. Jeff Jarrett (Orchestra Match) (Late 1988)

9.Robert Fuller & Jimmy Golden vs. Jed Grundy & Scott Steiner (2/18/89)

10.Buddy Landel vs. Freddy (8/12/89)

11.Jerry Lawler, Jeff Jarrett & Freddy vs. Dutch Mantell, Master of Pain & Ronnie Gossett (7/10/89)

• 3 weeks later...

As it stands right now, at this very moment...here are my top 25* for the ballot:

1. Jerry Lawler vs. Dutch Mantell (Barbed Wire Match) (3/29/82) [bLUESKIES-8]

2. Jerry Lawler vs. Bill Dundee (Loser Leaves Town) (6/6/83) [EWY-6]

3. Jerry Lawler vs. Dutch Mantell (No DQ) (3/22/82) [bLUESKIES-6]

4. Jerry Lawler vs. Bill Dundee (No DQ, Loser Leaves Town) (12/30/85) [EYETIGER-10]

5. Koko Ware vs. Ric Flair (11/18/85) [EYETIGER-9]

6. Jerry Lawler vs. Austin Idol (Hair vs. Hair, Steel Cage Match) (4/27/87) [MEMPTENN-4]

7. Jerry Lawler vs. Terry Funk (No DQ) (3/23/81) [bADNEWS-9]

8. Jerry Lawler & Dutch Mantel vs. Bill Dundee & Buddy Landel (3/10/86) [EYETIGER-11]

9. Tommy Rich & Eddie Gilbert vs. Pretty Young Things (Falls Count Anywhere) (5/18/84) [THRILL-7]

10. Ronnie Garvin vs. Randy Savage (Cage Match) (ICW 1982/83) [WINNING-11]

11. Fabulous Ones vs. The Moondogs (Stretcher Match) (5/2/83) [EWY-4]

12. Jerry Lawler vs. Randy Savage (Loser Leaves Town) (6/3/85) [WARMACH-14]

13. Jerry Lawler vs. Bam Bam Bigelow (Texas Death) (9/7/86) [MEMPTENN-1]

14. Jerry Lawler vs. Ric Flair (8/14/82) [bLUESKIES-12]

15. Jerry Lawler vs. Curt Hennig (Title vs. Retirement) (5/9/88) [MEMPTENN-9]

16. Jerry Lawler vs. Bill Dundee (No DQ, Loser Leaves Town) (7/14/86) [EYETIGER-13]

17. Bobby Eaton & Sweet Brown Sugar vs. Dutch Mantell & King Cobra (7/19/82) [bLUESKIES-10]

18. Fabulous Ones vs. Moondogs (6/13/83) [EWY-7]

19. Jerry Lawler vs. Terry Funk (Empty Arena) (4/6/81) [bADNEWS-11]

20. Jerry Lawler & Randy Savage vs. King Kong Bundy & Rick Rude (9/10/84) [THRILL-15]

21. Jerry Lawler & Bam Bam Bigelow vs. Austin Idol & Tommy Rich (Texas Death Match) (3/23/87) [MEMPTENN-3]

22. Jerry Lawler vs. Bill Dundee (10/19/85) [EYETIGER-5]

23. Bill Dundee vs. Sweet Brown Sugar (2/3 falls, Scaffold Match) (6/21/82) [bLUESKIES-9]

24. Jerry Lawler vs. Dutch Mantell (5/29/88) [TROUB-1]

25. Jerry Lawler vs. Randy Savage (4/9/84) [THRILL-3]

*Card subject to change :)