Pro Wrestling Only

Thoughts on the DVDVR Memphis set

Tim Evans

I just watched the Ware/Lane vs. Gilbert/Morton and I have to say I really enjoyed it. It was a great, classic tag match and we even got to see the first signs of Morton "playing Ricky Morton". I loved the comedy and one upsmanship at the beginning and thought the match was a lot of fun as it progressed.

I'm right up to the Lawler-Mantel matches now. I have these two (and the one before it that leads into the No DQ match) on a Memphis Arena Matches disc that I got a few months ago and they are among my favorite Memphis matches. I have never seen the Loser Leaves Town one though so I'm looking forward to it.

For me, I do factor in the angles as they really put the matches in context for me and get me hyped up about it. I've always been a fan of seeing the build around the match and have always had a hard time when it's just match-match-match. I like to get the whole flavor.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember absoulutely loving that Ware/Lane tag, haven't rewatched it again, but I am sort of baffled by your response to it

I dunno. Every match I've watched so far has had something really stand out to me on it. Something really cool in every match that jumps out and grabs me, even in the lesser matches. I didn't think this was bad, and pretty sure there was at least one thing in this match I really liked, but honestly can't remember what it was. It felt like the most unremarkable match I'd seen so far. It just didn't click with me.

Here are my rankings for Disc Two:

1. Jerry Lawler vs. Dutch Mantell (Barbed Wire Match) (3/29/82) [bLUESKIES-8]

2. Jerry Lawler vs. Dutch Mantell (No DQ) (3/22/82) [bLUESKIES-6]

3. Bobby Eaton & Sweet Brown Sugar vs. Dutch Mantell & King Cobra (7/19/82) [bLUESKIES-10]

4. Jerry Lawler vs. Ric Flair (8/14/82) [bLUESKIES-12]

5. Stan Lane & Koko Ware vs. Eddie Gilbert & Ricky Morton (No DQ, 2/3 Falls) (10/81) [bLUESKIES-5]

6. Jerry Lawler vs. Dutch Mantell (Loser Leaves Town) (3/27/82) [bLUESKIES-7]

7. Bill Dundee vs. Sweet Brown Sugar (2/3 falls, Scaffold Match) (6/21/82) [bLUESKIES-9]

8. Ricky Morton & Eddie Gilbert vs. Masa Fuchi & Atsushi Onita (Tupelo Concession Stand Brawl) (9/4/81) [bLUESKIES-3]

9. Bill Dundee vs. Bobby Eaton (7/24/82) [bLUESKIES-11]

10. Jerry Lawler & Bill Dundee vs. Masa Fuchi & Atsushi Onita (8/1/81) [bLUESKIES-2]

11. Bill Dundee, Steve Keirn, Rick & Robert Gibson vs. Dream Machine, Nightmare #1 & Heartbreakers (7/25/81) [bLUESKIES-1]

12. Masa Fuchi, Atsushi Onita & Tojo Yamamoto vs. Roy Rogers, Rick & Robert Gibson (9/5/81) [bLUESKIES-4]

Some thoughts:

...I loved the Barbed Wire match and this is probably the third time I've watched it. Really good psychology and Lance's commentary is a treat. I love how the barbed wire is important but it's not the WHOLE story of the match. The Lawler-Mantel series from this time remains a favorite. This would be my number one match for the two discs. The Loser Leaves Town TV match is one I hadn't seen yet. Memphis really did refine the "fake face turn".

...I loved the angle and promos surrounding the Flair-Lawler match and I would have put it at 3 or even 2 but I had a problem with the 10 minute match. It didn't seem urgent enough. I would have liked to see Lawler be more aggressive and trying to get the win quickly. The overall story, though, is a blast. What a way to use a visiting wrestler to spark storylines.

...I'm not a fan of scaffold matches but this was definitely the best one I've ever seen. I can't believe they made the guys had to fall off TWICE for a finish.

...LOVED the heat for the Sugar/Eaton vs. Mantel/Cobra match. Some great chickenshit heel stuff and I laugh every time someone does the "heel hugs his manager" spot. One of my favorites. The hot tag to Mantel was electric.

...I actually liked the Louisville Brawl even more than the Tupelo Concession brawl that was in the voting here on this disc. It seemed much more intense and wild to me.

A great disc. Again, I find it so hard to rank past one or two because if something is ranked at the bottom of the list, it doesn't mean I didn't like it.

I've gotten through three discs, and what I love about the set is what I also hate about the set:

Most everything is good-great, but nothing is so much greater than anything else that it's standing out.

Going to have to move to disc 4 tonight.

Hell yeah, Moondogs greatness ahead.

edit: Yeah, disc 4 so far is the fucking bomb. Between the awesome Fabs/ Moondogs fued and the absolutely incredible Lawler/ Dundee Loser Leaves Town match this is just the best shit ever.

I'm 6 matches in and is there anyone better in studio matches than Bill Dundee? My god he's been amazing. Especially in that handicap match.

Dundee is definitly the king of the studio, there were a bunch of Dundee studio stuff that didn't make the set too for some reason which ruled as well. His heel run in 86 with Buddy was awesome shit, as he was just brutalizing jobbers. There is a hideous beating of Billy Joe Travis which I almost nominated even though it was completely one sided

Was Dundee ever regarded as a masterful worker until recently? I just watched his run of matches from Disc 1 and it's amazing the range of skills encompassed in those performances. Great puncher and brawler, smooth as anybody on the mat, flashy moves for his era, excellent bumper and seller, incredibly creative in gimmick matches, master of the little nuances that distinguish a performance, good on the stick, top-notch tag wrestler, equally comfortable as a face or heel. I mean, I know I'm preaching to the choir here, but his versatility is just staggering. And yet I've never gotten any sense that he's widely viewed as an all-time great.

I'm just curious from veterans of internet wrestling discussion how his rep has stood over the years? Was he just sort of forgotten because he never had a big run in WWF, Crockett or Japan?

I might have made a mistake and not adjusted the time of the song. If I forget to adjust the song time, it loops every 15 seconds.

Would you be kind enough give a track list of the songs you used for the menus?

Thanks

1- Bad News (sung by Jerry Lawler)

2- Blue Skies

3- Winning (by Santana)

4- Everybody Wants You

5- Thriller

6- War Machine

7- Eye of the Tiger

8- Memphis Tennessee (sung by Jerry Lawler)

9- Trouble (sung by Jerry Lawler)

My rankings through Disc 1:

1.Jerry Lawler vs. Terry Funk (No DQ) (3/23/81) [bADNEWS-9]

2.Jerry Lawler vs. Terry Funk (Empty Arena) (4/6/81) [bADNEWS-11]

3.Bill Dundee vs. Tommy Rich (8/23/80) [bADNEWS-5]

4.Bill Dundee vs. Wayne Farris & Tojo Yamamoto (3/7/81) [bADNEWS-6]

5.Bill Dundee & Tommy Rich vs. Dutch Mantell & Austin Idol (3/12/81) [bADNEWS-7]

6.Jerry Lawler vs. Crusher Blackwell (5/4/81) [bADNEWS-13]

7.Dutch Mantell vs. Kevin Sullivan (5/9/81) [bADNEWS-14]

8.Bill Dundee & Tony Boyles vs. Wayne Farris & Larry Latham (6/7/80) [bADNEWS-4]

9.Bill Dundee vs. Larry Latham (4/19/80) [bADNEWS-1]

10.Bill Dundee & Dream Machine vs. Dutch Mantell & Wayne Farris (3/14/81) [bADNEWS-8]

11.Bill Dundee & Dream Machine vs. Kevin Sullivan & Wayne Farris (5/2/81) [bADNEWS-12]

12.Jerry Lawler vs. Dory Funk Jr. (3/30/81) [bADNEWS-10]

13.Ricky Morton vs. Sonny King (4/26/80) [bADNEWS-2]

14.Bill Dundee vs. Paul Ellering (5/24/80) [bADNEWS-3]

I already love this set more than the Mid-south set. The guy i'm most impressed with besides Dundee is probably Wayne Farris. He's pretty good and I love the angle with the Bombers destroying the Gibsons at the end of Disc 1.

My Disc 3 rankings:

1. Jerry Lawler vs. Nick Bockwinkel (No DQ) (11/8/82)

2. Jerry Lawler vs. Nick Bockwinkel (10/18/82)

3. Ronnie Garvin vs. Randy Savage (Cage Match) (ICW 1982/83)

4. Ronnie Garvin vs. Lanny Poffo (ICW 1982/83)

5. Jerry Lawler vs. Nick Bockwinkel (10/25/82)

6. Bill Dundee & Bobby Fulton vs. Bobby Eaton & Sweet Brown Sugar (11/15/82)

7. Jerry Lawler, Bill Dundee, Dutch Mantell & Terry Taylor vs. Bobby Eaton, Sweet Brown Sugar, Rick McGraw & Sabu (12/4/82)

8. Fabulous Ones vs. The New York Dolls (2/3 Falls) (11/13/82)

9. Bill Dundee & Jerry Lawler vs. Adrian Street & Apocalypse (11/27/82)

10. Jackie Fargo vs. Jimmy Hart (11/8/82)

11. New York Dolls vs. Steve Regal & Spike Huber (10/4/82)

12. Bobby Eaton & Sweet Brown Sugar vs. Jacques Rougeau & Terry Taylor (1/1/83)

13. Bill Dundee vs. Adrian Street, Miss Linda & Jim Cornette (Lumberjack Strap Match) (2/6/83)

Loved the Lawler/Bockwinkel feud. The No DQ match is my new working #1. The ICW stuff was pretty great, too. The lumberjack strap match is the first match on the set that I've actively disliked. I'm all for zany and unorthodox, but this never seemed to click for me.

I know I'm a little late, but I finished disc 1 today:

Jerry Lawler vs. Terry Funk (Empty Arena) (4/6/81) [bADNEWS-11]

Jerry Lawler vs. Terry Funk (No DQ) (3/23/81) [bADNEWS-9]

Bill Dundee vs. Wayne Farris & Tojo Yamamoto (3/7/81) [bADNEWS-6]

Bill Dundee vs. Tommy Rich (8/23/80) [bADNEWS-5]

Bill Dundee & Tony Boyles vs. Wayne Farris & Larry Latham (6/7/80) [bADNEWS-4]

Jerry Lawler vs. Crusher Blackwell (5/4/81) [bADNEWS-13]

Bill Dundee vs. Paul Ellering (5/24/80) [bADNEWS-3]

Dutch Mantell vs. Kevin Sullivan (5/9/81) [bADNEWS-14]

Bill Dundee & Tommy Rich v Dutch Mantell & Austin Idol (3/12/81) [bADNEWS-7]

Bill Dundee vs. Larry Latham (4/19/80) [bADNEWS-1]

Jerry Lawler vs. Dory Funk Jr. (3/30/81) [bADNEWS-10]

Bill Dundee & Dream Machine vs. Kevin Sullivan & Wayne Farris (5/2/81) [bADNEWS-12]

Ricky Morton vs. Sonny King (4/26/80) [bADNEWS-2]

Bill Dundee & Dream Machine vs. Dutch Mantell & Wayne Farris (3/14/81) [bADNEWS-8]

Super quick thoughts:

Dundee is awesome. Lawler is awesome. Farris shocked me since he was pretty much piss poor in the WWF.

Here's my Disc Three rankings. I had a really hard time with this disc...there were no runaway winners for me:

Jerry Lawler vs. Nick Bockwinkel (10/25/82) [WINNING-3]

Ronnie Garvin vs. Randy Savage (Cage Match) (ICW 1982/83) [WINNING-11]

Jerry Lawler vs. Nick Bockwinkel (10/18/82) [WINNING-2]

Ronnie Garvin vs. Lanny Poffo (ICW 1982/83) [WINNING-10]

Bill Dundee & Bobby Fulton vs. Bobby Eaton & Sweet Brown Sugar (11/15/82) [WINNING-7]

Jerry Lawler, Bill Dundee, Dutch Mantell & Terry Taylor vs. Bobby Eaton, Sweet Brown Sugar, Rick McGraw & Sabu (12/4/82) [WINNING-9]

Jerry Lawler vs. Nick Bockwinkel (No DQ) (11/8/82) [WINNING-4]

Jackie Fargo vs. Jimmy Hart (11/8/82) [WINNING-5]

Fabulous Ones vs. The New York Dolls (2/3 Falls) (11/13/82) [WINNING-6]

Bill Dundee vs. Adrian Street, Miss Linda & Jim Cornette (Lumberjack Strap Match) (2/6/83) [WINNING-13]

Bill Dundee & Jerry Lawler vs. Adrian Street & Apocalypse (11/27/82) [WINNING-8]

Bobby Eaton & Sweet Brown Sugar vs. Jacques Rougeau & Terry Taylor (1/1/83) [WINNING-12]

New York Dolls vs. Steve Regal & Spike Huber (10/4/82) [WINNING-1]

I'm with S.L.L. in that I'm a big fan of the Lawler-Bock feud. I love Bock on the mic and enjoy his smoothness in the ring. Just really good solid action all the way through this disc and it was a really difficult one to rank. I'm not sure if any of these will make my overall top 10. Lawler-Mantel Barbed Wire is still holding on strong to #1.

Also, Poffo's "minimalist" style of commentary cracked me up.

Since I had seen these matches before, I only had to re-watch a couple of them for final placement so I have sent in my final list. What really stands out to me is that there are only about 15 matches total where I thought to myself "these don't belong". Really great set to put together and to watch.

Here are my Top 25...

1. Jerry Lawler vs. Bill Dundee (Loser Leaves Town) (6/6/83) [EWY-6]

2. Jerry Lawler vs. Bill Dundee (No DQ, Loser Leaves Town) (12/30/85) [EYETIGER-10]

3. Tommy Rich & Eddie Gilbert vs. Pretty Young Things (Falls Count Anywhere) (5/18/84) [THRILL-7]

4. Jerry Lawler vs. Dutch Mantell (Barbed Wire Match) (3/29/82) [bLUESKIES-8]

5. Jerry Lawler vs. Dutch Mantell (No DQ) (3/22/82) [bLUESKIES-6]

6. Jerry Lawler & Dutch Mantel vs. Bill Dundee & Buddy Landel (3/10/86) [EYETIGER-11]

7. Jerry Lawler vs. Bam Bam Bigelow (Texas Death) (9/7/86) [MEMPTENN-1]

8. Jerry Lawler vs. Bill Dundee (No DQ, Loser Leaves Town) (7/14/86) [EYETIGER-13]

9. Jerry Lawler vs. Austin Idol (Hair vs. Hair, Steel Cage Match) (4/27/87) [MEMPTENN-4]

10. Fabulous Ones vs. Moondogs (6/13/83) [EWY-7]

11. Bobby Eaton & Sweet Brown Sugar vs. Dutch Mantell & King Cobra (7/19/82) [bLUESKIES-10]

12. Jerry Lawler & Bam Bam Bigelow vs. Austin Idol & Tommy Rich (Double Jeopardy) (3/16/87) [MEMPTENN-2]

13. Jerry Lawler vs. Terry Funk (No DQ) (3/23/81) [bADNEWS-9]

14. Jerry Lawler vs. Dutch Mantell (5/29/88) [TROUB-1]

15. Bill Dundee vs. Wayne Farris & Tojo Yamamoto (3/7/81) [bADNEWS-6]

16. Ronnie Garvin vs. Randy Savage (Cage Match) (ICW 1982/83) [WINNING-11]

17. Jerry Lawler vs. Ric Flair (8/14/82) [bLUESKIES-12]

18. Jerry Lawler vs. Curt Hennig (Title vs. Retirement) (5/9/88) [MEMPTENN-9]

19. Jerry Lawler & Randy Savage vs. King Kong Bundy & Rick Rude (9/10/84) [THRILL-15]

20. Pretty Young Things vs. The Daydreamers (Texas Tornado) (3/25/85) [WARMACH-8]

21. Koko Ware vs. Ric Flair (11/18/85) [EYETIGER-9]

22. Bill Dundee vs. Sweet Brown Sugar (2/3 falls, Scaffold Match) (6/21/82) [bLUESKIES-9]

23. Jerry Lawler vs. Dutch Mantell (Loser Leaves Town) (3/27/82) [bLUESKIES-7]

24. Fabulous Ones vs. The Moondogs (Stretcher Match) (5/2/83) [EWY-4]

25. Austin Idol vs. Stan Hansen (Texas Bullrope Match) (10/3/83) [EWY-11]

And my bottom 5...

121. Bill Dundee vs. Terry Taylor (4/4/83) [EWY-2]

122. Eddie Marlin vs. Tommy Gilbert (Cowboy Boot Match) (4/4/88) [MEMPTENN-8]

123. Jerry Lawler, Dusty Rhodes & Magnum T.A. vs. Ole Anderson, Arn Anderson & Tully Blanchard (11/18/85) [EYETIGER-8]

124. Tommy Rich vs. Masao Ito (7/9/84) [THRILL-12]

125. Buddy Landel vs. Freddy (8/12/89) [TROUB-11]

For my overall, as it stands right now only halfway through the 4th disc, the Lawler-Mantel (barbed wire) just eeks out over Lawler-Dundee (LLT 83) as my number one. Something about the Mantel match that just really hit me on a gut level the first time I saw it. I had heard so much about the Dundee match over the years but the Mantel one I just happened to see on this Arena Bouts disc I traded for and it was like an undiscovered gem for me.