Pro Wrestling Only

Thoughts on the DVDVR Memphis set

Tim Evans

I didn't see a topic about this. Anyone get this set? I know Loss and company did. I hope to have the money in sometime next week. Looking very forward to this as I hope it's not as hard to watch and rank as the Mid South set was, I don't mean that as a bad thing, it's just that there were so many matches and they blended together. The response over at DVDVR seems to be positve. What do you guys think? Feel free to use this as a discussion topic.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are only a couple of matches which go over 30, and nothing like the 40-60 minute matches on the Mid-South set. Also a pretty wide variety of kooky shit which should easy to rank. You will either love Freddy v. Buddy Landell or you will be the kind of joyless sack of shit who doesn't think it should have made it

Itching to get on this, but unfortunately, I don't see it arriving within the next couple days... around which time I'll go insane.

And speaking of the Mid-South set, if that's still available in some form then I'm definitely picking it up after I get through the Memphis set.

There are only a couple of matches which go over 30, and nothing like the 40-60 minute matches on the Mid-South set. Also a pretty wide variety of kooky shit which should easy to rank. You will either love Freddy v. Buddy Landell or you will be the kind of joyless sack of shit who doesn't think it should have made it

That type of person also hates puppies and kittens and freedom.

Obviously directed at me but I would rather be a joyless sack of shit than pretend to like a match that is too clever for its own good and should be an extra in support of the much more superior Freddy music video.

I started watching a bit of it last night and am having a blast. I'm thrilled that angles and promos are included on the match discs as it really gives a sense of context. Some nice, solid meat and potatoes wrestling in the first few matches. I got as far as the Tommy Rich-Dundee match and the angle that follows it was a blast to watch.

Keeping most of my thoughts actually on the DVDVR board, but the best part of the set so far is the fact that everybody is arguing over which matches are better than others to watch and different people are agreeing on every match.

The set's going to be a pain to rank, and with the diverging opinions, the rankings might surprise some people.

Loss and I had this talk last night. With WWF, he was pretty confident that Sarge-Sheik would be #1. With Mid South, I knew in my gut that the Stips cage would be #1. This set has no clear cut #1. You would think that the Loser LEave Town matches would take the top spot but they may be hurt by clips and splitting the vote. There are just so many good matches and nothing that stands clear above the pack.

Just finished the first disc and those Terry Funk promos are KILLER. This is how I rank the first disk:

1. Jerry Lawler vs. Terry Funk (No DQ) (3/23/81) [bADNEWS-9]

2. Jerry Lawler vs. Terry Funk (Empty Arena) (4/6/81) [bADNEWS-11]

3. Bill Dundee vs. Wayne Farris & Tojo Yamamoto (3/7/81) [bADNEWS-6]

4. Bill Dundee vs. Tommy Rich (8/23/80) [bADNEWS-5]

5. Dutch Mantell vs. Kevin Sullivan (5/9/81) [bADNEWS-14]

6. Bill Dundee & Tommy Rich vs. Dutch Mantell & Austin Idol (3/12/81) [bADNEWS-7]

7. Jerry Lawler vs. Dory Funk Jr. (3/30/81) [bADNEWS-10]

8. Bill Dundee vs. Larry Latham (4/19/80) [bADNEWS-1]

9. Bill Dundee & Dream Machine vs. Kevin Sullivan & Wayne Farris (5/2/81) [bADNEWS-12]

10. Ricky Morton vs. Sonny King (4/26/80) [bADNEWS-2]

11. Bill Dundee & Dream Machine vs. Dutch Mantell & Wayne Farris (3/14/81) [bADNEWS-8]

12. Jerry Lawler vs. Crusher Blackwell (5/4/81) [bADNEWS-13]

13. Bill Dundee & Tony Boyles vs. Wayne Farris & Larry Latham (6/7/80) [bADNEWS-4]

14. Bill Dundee vs. Paul Ellering (5/24/80) [bADNEWS-3]

My disc one rankings:

1. Jerry Lawler vs. Terry Funk (Empty Arena) (4/6/81)

2. Jerry Lawler vs. Terry Funk (No DQ) (3/23/81)

3. Bill Dundee vs. Wayne Farris & Tojo Yamamoto (3/7/81)

4. Jerry Lawler vs. Crusher Blackwell (5/4/81)

5. Bill Dundee & Dream Machine vs. Kevin Sullivan & Wayne Farris (5/2/81)

6. Bill Dundee vs. Tommy Rich (8/23/80)

7. Bill Dundee vs. Paul Ellering (5/24/80)

8. Bill Dundee vs. Larry Latham (4/19/80)

9. Bill Dundee & Dream Machine vs. Dutch Mantell & Wayne Farris (3/14/81)

10. Dutch Mantell vs. Kevin Sullivan (5/9/81)

11. Ricky Morton vs. Sonny King (4/26/80)

12. Bill Dundee & Tony Boyles vs. Wayne Farris & Larry Latham

13. Jerry Lawler vs. Dory Funk Jr. (3/30/81)

14. Bill Dundee & Tommy Rich vs. Dutch Mantell & Austin Idol (3/12/81)

Can't speak for JKeats, but while I liked Morton/King, it felt a bit too much like an exhibition to rank too highly for me. There was a bit of a story there, but they didn't really go anywhere with it. It was still pretty neat, it just doesn't really compare favorably to a lot of the bigger matches here.

Can't speak for JKeats, but while I liked Morton/King, it felt a bit too much like an exhibition to rank too highly for me. There was a bit of a story there, but they didn't really go anywhere with it. It was still pretty neat, it just doesn't really compare favorably to a lot of the bigger matches here.

No, it's ok, you spoke for me :) That's pretty much the vibe I had on it. It's not like it was bad or anything, I just didn't enjoy it as much as I enjoyed the other stuff. It was a good solid match and in hindsight or upon rewatching may rank a little higher on the first disc. This was all my one watch first impression of what stuck with me. Actually, it should be ranked higher than the Dundee-Ellering match at least.

I liked the Blackwell match and had seen it before...but the finish fell really flat for me. For some reason, and I can't put my finger on it exactly, I really dug the Dundee-Latham match. Something about it I just really enjoyed and connected with.

EDIT: I think I'll have to go back and rewatch the Dundee-Yamamoto/Farris handicap match seeing as how high you guys rated it. I think I watched that on Friday night right before going to sleep so I may have to give it a second watch.

I got a chance to rewatch both King vs. Morton and Dundee vs. Yamamoto/Farris and would change their rankings somewhat. I would move King-Morton to 10. It was a realistic match and the work was top notch but I felt like it was in second gear the whole time and never advanced into third. I forgot about Dundee checking the time and using the clock against his opponents in his handicap match. This was actually one of the only handicap matches that was actually wrestled like a guy with a disadvantage. For that alone it deserved higher. I would put this at #3.

Apparently, I do crack sometimes. I'll edit the OP to reflect it (the change, not the crack).

This is my deficiency with ranking stuff...other than the top stuff the rest always fall into "I enjoyed that" or "I didn't like that". :)

Watched the first 5 matches from disc 1 last night.

Bill Dundee v Larry Latham (4/19/80)

Fun way to start the set! Really liked Latham going after the leg, even if it wasn't anything overly special or vigorous. Dundee sold it really well too, I thought. I also love how Lance Russell is always quick to point out the hair pulls and dirty tactics in every match. Obviously that's nothing new in itself (if it was, then I wouldn't have seen much wrestling), but he just seems to make everything seem more legit, if that actually makes sense. Really good fun, although I have absolutely no idea how this will place on my final ballot at this stage, due to being a complete newb to Memphis :)

Ricky Morton v Sonny King (4/26/80)

I plan on giving this a re-watch later, but I didn't enjoy this that much on first watch. I was getting the "power struggle" vibe throughout (forced home by Russell :)), but - I'll probably get crucified for this - I wasn't quite buying the whole size difference thing not making, well, a difference. Which surprised me since I never felt any Angle/Lesnar match was awkward while watching them go on the mat. Eh, I dunno. One thing I did like was King almost heeling when they grappled close to the ropes. Obviously not to the extent where he actually looks like a heel, but I just got the idea that he was like "I really want to squash this little fucker". Like I said, I'll re-watch this later, but at this point I don''t see it placing high even as a contender for one of the best matches on disc 1, never mind the entire set.

Back later with some more thoughts.

My disc 2 rankings:

1. Jerry Lawler vs. Dutch Mantell (Barbed Wire Match) (3/29/82)

2. Jerry Lawler vs. Dutch Mantell (No DQ) (3/22/82)

3. Jerry Lawler vs. Ric Flair (8/14/82)

4. Bobby Eaton & Sweet Brown Sugar vs. Dutch Mantell & King Cobra (7/19/82)

5. Bill Dundee vs. Sweet Brown Sugar (2/3 falls, Scaffold Match) (6/21/82)

6. Jerry Lawler vs. Dutch Mantell (Loser Leaves Town) (3/27/82)

7. Jerry Lawler & Bill Dundee vs. Masa Fuchi & Atsushi Onita (8/1/81)

8. Ricky Morton & Eddie Gilbert vs. Masa Fuchi & Atsushi Onita (Tupelo Concession Stand Brawl) (9/4/81)

9. Bill Dundee vs. Bobby Eaton (7/24/82)

10. Masa Fuchi, Atsushi Onita & Tojo Yamamoto vs. Roy Rogers, Rick & Robert Gibson (9/5/81)

11. Bill Dundee, Steve Keirn, Rick & Robert Gibson vs. Dream Machine, Nightmare #1 & Heartbreakers (7/25/81)

12. Stan Lane & Koko Ware vs. Eddie Gilbert & Ricky Morton (No DQ, 2/3 Falls) (10/81)

Lane/Ware vs. Morton/Gilbert might be the weakest match on the set so far, but everything else was fantastic. Really strong disc.

Bill Dundee v Paul Ellering (5/24/80)

I may be crazy, but I thought this was pretty great. Not in the sense that it'll end up being one of the highest I place from disc 1, but more because it was a ton of fun in that Dundee is awesome as hell, and Ellering is just staggeringly juiced. Really liked the arm sequences by Paul at the beginning, managing to keep a hold of Dundee's arm after a body slam, rolling through and working over it some more. It seemed like Bill was feeding it to him, which made it even better since it enforces the 'Bill Dundee is the man' theory. Another thing I thought was cool was how Dundee tried to sit up and dodge the legdrop, except it didn't quite come off right as Ellering's leg catches him on the head, so instead of firing back like I would assume he was intending on doing, he plays it off as if, well, he tried to dodge it and got caught because he was too slow. Absolutely nothing observation, but I liked since I get the feeling it would've been just brushed off nowadays. Ellering's post-match roid rage was great too, and Lance Russell continues to make me smile at how great he is.

Bill Dundee & Tony Boyles v Larry Latham & Wayne Ferris (6/7/80)

My favourite match on the set up to this point (4 matches...). Simple enough dynamic with the heels v veteran w/rookie, and it worked really well. Dundee's moveset is just a ton of fun; the sliding kick was cool as hell. Also really liked the Ferris attempted save spots at the beginning with Dundee having Latham in a cover, so Ferris repeatedly tries to break it by stomping Dundee, but Bill moves and Ferris constantly hits Latham instead. Dundee's really great at trying to interject himself, too. He does it as if he *really* wants to get in there, walking all the way around the apron and ringside, which makes a nice change from the guy on the apron lifting his arm or something like that, "distracting" the ref'. Finish is noticeably botched, but it honestly didn't bother me too much since it ended up looking like some bastardised version of a piledriver that Boyles sold fine anyway. Post match is a ton of fun with the beatdown.

Quick question to those that are further on in the set; when ranking the matches, do you tend to look at strictly what goes on from bell to bell, or do pre and post match angles have any effect on your placement of the matches in question (for example, the post match angle for the above match would probably keep it higher up my list come the end if I were to take that into account, as opposed to sticking to what happened only in the match itself)?