Pro Wrestling Only

WON Year-End Awards archive

JMFabianoRPL

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wrestling_Obs...wsletter_awards

Very interesting read, but I have to wonder where Meltzer came up with some of the descriptions he uses. Aside from the one in the topic description, he calls Shockmaster a "spaceman" (yes probably the original intent, but after the Great Fall of Ottman, not so much), "New" Goldust (1997...is this the family man GD or TAFKAG?) is a "rundown movie star critic" (again the original intent, but I didn't know him for acting like Roger Ebert or anything...and I am surprised Meltzer didn't call Black Reign a "schizophrenic rundown movie star critic"), and Rock was a "jock comedian" (Okaaaaaaaay...).

Also, what was so distasteful about Bob Backlund being WWF champion in 1982?

And the 1992 "Global Championship Wrestling" that was worst promotion. Did he mean the GWF?

Are you sure the descriptions are from Meltzer and not the Wikipedia editors?

Half of the "Most Disgusting Promotional Tactic" winners were just stupid booking ideas and not disgusting by any definition. The only reason the Pacman Jones thing won last year is because Dave was OFFENDED~! at all of it since the guy paralyzed in the shooting was a former job guy and therefore TNA was disrespecting THA BIZ by hiring him.

After reading the WON for the last 2 years it seems that Dave makes it clear what he expects to win all the awards, and for the most part they do. I guess it comes from being around wrestling for so long, but it's funny to see Dave doing a little "audience education" of his own.

I've still never come up with a decent explanation of his Backlund hate boner other than Dave just didn't like his style of wrestling (ironically he would love someone doing the All-American shooter gimmick now) and also the impression I get that he really thinks Backlund is shoot retarded.

Also having Hogan as Most Overrated in 85 and 86 really show the anti WWF bias he and other smart fans had until sometime in the late 80s early 90s. I guess it was around the time Turner bought out JCP that it was time to admit their beloved NWA wasn't going to win the war and it was time to accept the WWF style. The WONs Loss posts seem to bear that out, as you can tell Meltzer barely hiding his disgust as he details the bungling going on behind the scenes.

I don't know that I'd go so far as to say that Meltzer ever "accepted" the WWF style, so much that the WWF/E style morphed into something closer to what Meltzer liked. It's probably more accurate to say that sometime after the Crockett buyout, Meltzer realized that the Turner guys who ran WCW were too stupid to run the NWA style successfully nationally, and hated them as a result. I mean, the "MMA = pro wrestling" talking point is really about the NWA/St. Louis "wrestling as sport" style succeeding nationally, with Meltzer perhaps not realizing that the reason MMA can promote as real sport and WWE cannot is...well, because MMA IS a real sport and WWE isn't, and the mood of the US at this point is such that wrestling fans expect big, crazy gimmicks in their pro wrestling, and fans of MMA (or fans of regular sports who don't like wrestling for that matter) would never support that style of wrestling simply because they don't want to bother with "that fake stuff."

Not disagreeing with you in theory, but there was a pretty big gap between realizing that WCW was going to be run by a bunch of Turner corporate fuckups and WWF/E turning into something more in line with the style Dave likes. I'd wager he wasn't a real fan of their PRODUCT~! until around 2000-2001 since he certainly wasn't a fan of the early 90s cartoon era or of anything Russo is, was, or ever would be involved in.

At least in the mid 90s, with the singles pushes of Bret and Shawn, you were guaranteed a quality match or two on PPV. I'm also sure Meltzer was a big fan of Raw in '97 with the rise of Steve Austin as a mega babyface and Bret Hart's heel turn.

I've still never come up with a decent explanation of his Backlund hate boner other than Dave just didn't like his style of wrestling (ironically he would love someone doing the All-American shooter gimmick now) and also the impression I get that he really thinks Backlund is shoot retarded.

There are probably a few threads around. I think there's one on Classics in the WON forum. It's been talked about.

John