Pro Wrestling Only

Jim Cornette Suspended by WWE

Strummer

PWI:

According to one source, Jim Cornette has been suspended by WWE for six weeks due to several recent outbursts at Ohio Valley Wrestling, including most recently one at last week's TV taping where he cut a huge promo backstage on Kevin Fertig for wearing a baseball cap while working in the ring for a dark match. The word going around at the Raw taping last night was that Cornette was being disciplined by the company.

Edit: Apparently Tommy Dreamer will be taking over OVW booking

Yes, we can't have promoters yelling at developmental guys for doing stupid things on camera, but it's okay if Randy Orton takes a dump in Amy Weber's bag and gets the company tons of bad publicity. Give me a break.

I'm sure Keller will chime in now with something that's sensationalized, and he'll probably also try to use this to make the case that WWE has the power to shut down OVW again.

Guest The Man in Blak

Not to take this too far off track, but it's interesting that "cut a promo on ____" has replaced "verbally berating ____" and "bitched/chewed out ____" in the wrestling lexicon.

Cornette runs OVW, so technically, I don't think they could force this on him, but he probably knows that politically, it's in his best interests to go along to get along, because it's a lot easier to survive with the corporate giant feeding you talent and working with you than pulling out and working against you.

Guest Hunter's Torn Quad

WWE does business with OVW, but it has no authority over the operations of OVW. Danny Davis founded and owns OVW, and the only way OVW would ever shut down would be if he wanted it to. That was one small fact that that idiot Keller conveniently forgot to mention when he said that WWE was going to shut down OVW; WWE can't shut down shit. They can stop doing business with OVW, but they cannot shut it down because they do not have that power.

I like how PWI, which is just that piece of shit site 1pop-ups.con with a different coat of paint, credits this story to 'one source', and then says that 'word was going around'. Which is it boys ? One source ? Several ? Or did Scherer just read this in the dregs of the milkshake he had for lunch ?

Guest Hunter's Torn Quad

--Jim Cornette has been given a leave of absence for 5 weeks by WWE after being upset with things that took place and the overall quality of the last two week's of OVW TV tapings and the company felt he was hitting a wall. Al Snow, Tommy Dreamer, Danny Davis and Lance Storm will be handling his work load until he returns, including running the first Six Flags show of the summer on 6/3. We'll have full details on this in this coming week's Observer. Snow will work with Dean Hill on the announcing for the next few TV's. Bobby Heenan will be in for tonight's TV to do some sort of an angle with Kenny Bolin.

Credit - Meltzer

Keller:

-Jim Cornette has been suspended by WWE management from OVW for a month for what one source says was throwing tantrums behind the scenes including freaking out when Kevin Fertig wore a baseball hat backwards throughout one of his matches last week. John Laurenaitis made the call to have him suspended.

Guest Hunter's Torn Quad

It's interesting to see Keller and PWI refer to it as as suspension. I guess it could techincally be referred to as such, but to call it a suspension seems a bit over dramatic.

Guest teke184

I'm not exactly impartial on the subject of Cornette, as most of you know, but this seems more than slightly overblown.

This seems like it may be an extension of the somewhat antagonistic relationship between Cornette and Johnny Ace that was part of OVW storylines for quite a while. (I'm not sure if that was just a storyline or a way for Cornette to vent on everything he felt the WWF was doing to his guys.)

Guest Hunter's Torn Quad

(I'm not sure if that was just a storyline or a way for Cornette to vent on everything he felt the WWF was doing to his guys.)

It was just a storyline, but I'm sure Cornette enjoyed being able to verbalize what he and just about everyone was thinking, that the wrong guys were being called up to WWE, and when the right guys were called up, they were almost always mishandled.

Ironically, one of the best angles of 2003 involved a confrontation between Cornette and Laurenaitis, with them arguing over the calling up of talent from OVW.

Guest Some Guy

It's amazing that Cornette gets punished for being right. Why would anyone wear a ball cap during a match? Cornette is teh booker and as such he should be able to dictate what goes on in his ring.

He may very well be hitting a wall, but if you had to train guys in a style that you don't like and have shitty talent thrust on you wouldn't you be hitting a wall, too?

Furthermore, Cornette puts a lot of time and effort into creating gimmicks and personalities for the talent only for WWE to either ignore it completely or ruin it. I have not seen any OVW, but I tend to trust what Meltz says on subjects like this.

Guest Hunter's Torn Quad

I recommend starting from April 2001, when the Revolution-Machine/Doug Basham storyline started. It might seem like a slog, having to go through over two years worth of TV to get the tremendous Loser Leaves Town match, but it will so be worth it.

Guest teke184

I have a set of OVW masters that cover from January to April 2001. I also have the July 2000 and August 2000 tapes.

These masters were generated from OVW's master tapes, as they include commercials for OVW shows and for OVW sponsor products but still have dead commercial time to be filled by the stations.

Guest teke184

How much do the shows cost? 

I assume that OVW.com would be the place to start, correct?

$15 per month, IIRC. There are 4 to 5 1-hour shows each month, although certain periods in the year are "recap weeks".

"Recap weeks" typically involve showing partial footage from the latest OVW "special card." These are at Six Flags - Kentucky Kingdom these days but had been at the Louisville Garden before it closed.

There are other weeks where they'll do a Best Of OVW TV and show the best TV from the previous years, such as the lead-up to the Damaja-Machine "Loser Leaves Town" match one week then the show with the actual match and the fallout the next week.

The weeks listed above tend to be during the Christmas break period or when Cornette has to take a hiatus for various reasons (surgery, mother's death, etc.).

Guest teke184

Can either one of you do a few reviews, please?

A lot of what I have was actually covered on the Wrestling's Future Stars DVD released by the Wrestling Gold people.

It covered OVW from mid-2000 to early 2001, from the introduction of Leviathan (Batista) to the introduction of Machine (Doug Basham).

At least one review for this exists, but it was done by SK.

Can either one of you do a few reviews, please?

A lot of what I have was actually covered on the Wrestling's Future Stars DVD released by the Wrestling Gold people.

It covered OVW from mid-2000 to early 2001, from the introduction of Leviathan (Batista) to the introduction of Machine (Doug Basham).

At least one review for this exists, but it was done by SK.

This means we're not sure if a review exists or not now.

Guest Some Guy

I probably read SK's rant on it at some point, but I would prefer a review from someone who is familiar with the product.