Pro Wrestling Only

Vickie Guerrero quits WWE

Bix

Guest The 3H's

It's always funny watching wrestling fans "pull the high horse' card, while sitting on a flying unicorn.

I am pretty ignorant. What do you mean?

Saying WWE is assholes for making Vickie last month about the way she looks, and not because of the character she portrayed is kind of fucked up. If people think it is kind of overboard, they really shouldn't get beat over the head with the "Oh, you're taking it too seriously' stick. I really don't care, but I did look at it and think, this is kind of fucked up, but I don't think that is me "being on a high horse".

I had no problem with her being a character that fought over her dead Husband’s estate, marrying Edge, or any of the things they did with her. I did feel sending her out full of slop and calling her pig, was a tad too much. It wasn't her comeuppance for all the bullshit she did as a character; it was a barrage of insults of the way she looks.

Bischoff got comeuppance because he was a prick for 3 years and it all bit him in the ass at the end, by people he fucked over. Heyman was a prick and quit because he was drafted to Raw, and would have to work for Bischoff. A guy he has always "hated", and he rather be broke then work under the guy he believed killed his company. Both of those blow offs made sense and played to the characters both men played. Even Mike Adamle becoming fed up with the fucked up ways of wrestling and saying "Fuck You Steph, I'm out of here” made sense. But they really just pissed all over Vickie, and I think it was a little uncalled for.

I think WWE just takes personal affront to someone who decides for themselves when to leave rather than waiting to get endeavored/Wellness'd/released while cancer'd.

I think it's the same mindset we see with the potshots toward Rock for leaving to do movies. How dare Vickie decide something is more important than wrestling. We'll show her by spending her last month telling people how fat and ugly she is.

I think an important thing to keep in mind is that how well any wrestling personality is received depends on how they are booked.

With X-Pac, it wasn't so much his character that made fans frustrated as it was the booking was designed so he never really got his comeuppance. And Jingus raises a valid point that the way Vickie was booked didn't really make it seem like it was the proper way to establish true comeuppance. Case in point: Why is Edge the one who gets to humiliate her on the way out? The idea there should be to give Edge heel heat, but all it did was get people to cheer him. If you are going to have some wrestler humiliate her for a send off, just have John Cena chant "na na na hey hey goodbye" and at least it's better execution.

As far as jokes about someone being fat when they really aren't or other such attempts at comedy, it's not so much a case of making such a joke as it is delivering it in the proper context. I can remember some shows in which you would have kids make fat jokes about other kids who weren't really fat, but it was being done in the context of the type of jabs kids that age would make at each other in real life.

And most of the WWE writers just don't understand the concept of proper context when doing most of their jokes. They just base it on whether they are amused or whether Vince is amused, not whether anyone else will be.

Sek also raises a valid point about WWE's mindset. Somebody decides they want to leave and there is more than life to wrestling, so do whatever you can to cut that somebody down.

To be fair to tomk, even though the autopsy wasn't closed, she was clearly being paid to keep her mouth shut and spin the circumstances around Eddie's death to something more politically correct. Like Brian Pillman died of a broken heart, Eddie Guerrero died from training too hard.

• 3 weeks later...

I hope this pithy figure being leaked will finally stop people from harping on about how generous and benevolent WWE were to give her a job as a TV performer in the first place. Not surprised that no-one was outraged enough to say anything about Vickie's treatment on the way out of the door. These are the same guys that twiddled their thumbs when they had a heel wrestler say the highly religious Eddie ended up in hell to get cheap heat and spoofed Owen's and Eddie's ten bell salutes and tribute shows in the Vince goes boom angle.

I hope this pithy figure being leaked will finally stop people from harping on about how generous and benevolent WWE were to give her a job as a TV performer in the first place.

Oh God yes. Five hundred bucks per appearance, usually one appearance a week, paid her own road expenses, and classified as a self-employed independent contractor for tax purposes? Congratulations, Vickie took home less money per week than the guy handing you your Big Mac at the drivethru.

To be fair to WWE, she probably received DVD and PPV royalties that supplemented her per appearance pay, so it sounds worse than it actually is. However, the fact that they gave her such a low guarantee suggests that they were unlikely to be overly generous with these bonuses. It sounds like she was grossly underpaid, given that most former GMs like Ric Flair, Eric Bischoff, Steve Austin, Paul Heyman, etc, wouldn't even get out of bed for such a small amount.

It wouldn't shock me if it's true, but until a source greater than "rumors swirling around the locker room" mentions it, I'm hardly taking it at face value.

There was a rumour going around our workplace not long ago that I was leaving. Turns out it was someone that has the same first name. There's been similar rumours involving me or other coworkers of that nature too. I think I lost count on the number of times.

Again, not saying this story isn't true. But wacky rumours/stories pop up at normal office workplaces. Can't imagine the types of stories that exist in wrestling locker rooms that are hearsay at best.

On one hand, it's certainly possible the rumor is just a rumor.

On the other hand, it wouldn't surprise me if Vickie was grossly underpaid to begin with. She was brought in originally to be a plot device for the short term and they could very well have thought nothing about paying her the same low amount she originally got for her initial apperances when the company kept her for the long term.