Pro Wrestling Only

Vickie Guerrero quits WWE

Bix

Well, at least we know now why things got so mean-spirited on TV recently.

"How dare she quit WWE when Vince was generous enough to give her a job after her husband died and embarrassed the company! She should have apologized for Eddy's death embarrassing WWE like Hector did..."

Guest MarkGotch

Good news. *applauds* *throws roses*

I think it would be nice if they let a show go without a GM for a while... "inmates running the asylum" type of thing.

You'd think they'd be pleased they wouldn't have to pay her anymore. Really, I'm amazed she lasted this long given all the travel, exploitative storylines, bitchy remarks and general wrestling insanity that she had to endure.

I've been saying from day one that there was absolutely zero reason for this woman to be on television. "But she gets great heat, Jingus!" So did Adamle. "But it's so nice of Vince to give her this job, Jingus!" And he could've paid her the exact same amount of money to stay home. I'm glad that she'll no longer be wasting time on my television with her uselessness, and also glad that this poor woman just decided to stay the fuck home rather than be further humiliated on national tv for no apparant reason.

Vickie got the most heel heat of anyone in WWE of the last 10 years not named McMahon. To think otherwise is almost being willfully ignorant.

Not to throw Jingus under the bus, but I think his reaction is typical of today's fan since everyone is so used to cool heels. If someone makes you actually hate them, that's what a heel is supposed to be doing.

Vickie got the most heel heat of anyone in WWE of the last 10 years not named McMahon. To think otherwise is almost being willfully ignorant.

Not to throw Jingus under the bus, but I think his reaction is typical of today's fan since everyone is so used to cool heels. If someone makes you actually hate them, that's what a heel is supposed to be doing.

Only if they make you hate them AND make you want to pay to see their comeuppance.

I've been saying from day one that there was absolutely zero reason for this woman to be on television. "But she gets great heat, Jingus!" So did Adamle. "But it's so nice of Vince to give her this job, Jingus!" And he could've paid her the exact same amount of money to stay home. I'm glad that she'll no longer be wasting time on my television with her uselessness, and also glad that this poor woman just decided to stay the fuck home rather than be further humiliated on national tv for no apparant reason.

Paying her to stay home treats her like a charity case. Giving her something to do to keep her busy is a good thing.

You can argue that maybe they could have found a role for her in the company that didn't involve her being on camera, but having Vickie Guerrero on camera for less than 10 minutes out of five hours of weekly TV is really not that big of a deal unless you are demanding to enjoy every single second of something you watch, which is quite honestly part of the mindset that killed her husband.

I completely 100% agree that the manner in which they've used her on television has been pretty disgusting, but I have no problem with WWE giving her an on-camera gig so they could employ and pay her. I would criticize the way they have used her, but not the fact that they have used her at all. It gives her something to do where she's serving a purpose instead of sitting at home collecting money and mourning her dead husband.

It's the equivalent of The Price Is Right ending with Bob Barker reminding you to help control the pet population by having your pet spayed or neutered. You may want to see more time given to the Showcase Showdown, but you understand why it's there, and it takes up a relatively small amount of time, and people benefit greatly from it, so you just accept it.

Let's not pretend that Vickie was some great performer who got heat because of her own unique talents. They took a pudgy middle-aged woman and made her be a screechy heel authority figure who treated the babyfaces in an emasculating manner and took up a lot of mic time speaking in a nasal whine. They could've done that with damn near anybody. Vickie just stood there and read her scripted lines in a wooden fashion. It was the booking that got her heat, not anything the woman herself specifically brought to the table.

Only if they make you hate them AND make you want to pay to see their comeuppance.

Another problem I've mentioned in the past. We're supposed to want to see the righteous babyface get their comeuppance. But whenever Vickie was punished for her actions, it always came off like she was a helpless woman being bullied. Why are we supposed to cheer the Undertaker giving the tombstone piledriver to Eddie Guerrero's freaking widow? I've grown sour on the Heel GM idea in general, but Vickie's was one of the worst. Especially since they made it pretty clear from day one that she was being manipulated by Edge and others like him, so she was a victim herself. Vickie a a heel doesn't make me hate her character. She makes me hate the company for using her in this way.

Paying her to stay home treats her like a charity case. Giving her something to do to keep her busy is a good thing.

I don't see the logic there at all, especially given that her named reason for quitting the company was staying home to spend more time with the kids. Obviously there's more to it than that, but still, obviously she wasn't happy there. How would be treating her like a charity case be bad? If you object to the language, just call it paying her a pension or long-term life insurance for her prematurely dead husband and father to her children.

Vickie Guerrero on camera for less than 10 minutes out of five hours of weekly TV

You're rather seriously underestimating the amount of time that she was on television. Especially during her Smackdown heyday, there were endless backstage segments devoted to her storylines.

It gives her something to do where she's serving a purpose instead of sitting at home collecting money and mourning her dead husband.

So it's a charity case to spend her money, but not a charity case to give her a job she has no experience or qualifications for? And why are you acting like if they didn't give her an on-air role on television that she would just sit in a dark locked room all day? There's all kinds of things they could've done which didn't involve making her leave her kids at home while she flies all over the country and consistently putting her in embarassing situations every single week on national television.

Guest The 3H's

Vickie was awesome and pretty much the best actress wrestling has ever seen. Which really is like being the best Criminal in Prison, but hey.

I always thought Vickie's role on WWE TV was sort of a feel-good story. Yeah, she started out as a charity case that wasn't comfortable on TV, but she turned into a pretty entertaining character that was important to her show.

And you can't underestimate the heat she got. It wasn't just go-away heat. It wasn't just heat that anyone in her position would have gotten. She got more heat than anyone since the heyday of the Mr. McMahon character has gotten, and there has to be a reason for it. When she would come out on the ramp and make a few announcements, the level of sustained noise from the fans that she would generate was unbelievable. You almost never see that type of heel heat anymore. I think she helped Edge. And the fans loved seeing her get what was coming to her. They went nuts last night when she announced she was quitting.

I thought it was nice that, four years after Eddie died, she still had to be making some really good money while only working a few days a month. She was a major part of the TV, so I'd figure she was making into six figures. She got to get the enjoyment of eliciting passionate reactions from major arenas of fans, which is something so enjoyable that most wrestlers are never able stop chasing it. Hopefully she made a bunch of money over the last few years and has the financial security to be able to sit at home with her kids for a while. That's a nice story by pro wrestling standards.

I wouldn't say that Vickie Guerrero had heat. I would say that Vickie Guerrero was unpopular. I would say that fans didn't like her and they certainly booed the crap out of her. But to say she has heat? Heat is when fans want to pay to see a heel get their comeuppence. I don't think fans cared if she got her comeuppance or not, they just didn't want to watch her. Maybe that's what the writers want in today's WWE, but I wouldn't call it heat.

I wouldn't say that Vickie Guerrero had heat. I would say that Vickie Guerrero was unpopular. I would say that fans didn't like her and they certainly booed the crap out of her. But to say she has heat? Heat is when fans want to pay to see a heel get their comeuppence. I don't think fans cared if she got her comeuppance or not, they just didn't want to watch her. Maybe that's what the writers want in today's WWE, but I wouldn't call it heat.

If fans didn't want to watch her, wouldn't they just head to the concession stands when she came out rather than make the most noise of the night? If I'm apathetic about something, I stop paying attention. Jillian Hall has a super-annoying gimmick, but you don't see her getting Vickie-type heat.

I wouldn't agree at all that Vickie had X-Pac heat. She was a really effective heel, and very entertaining with it, without crossing over into that accursed "cool" territory.

It's not as simple as someone saying to her "These are your lines". A lot of her best boos were received by her knowing when to throw in one of her Excuse me! interjections, rather than rigidly following a script.

I don't particularly enjoy what's presented on WWE TV lately, but Vickie was an entertaining exception and, as Sean Liska said, something as a feel-good story, where she grew to be good in her position, much moreso than any of the Amy Zidian types that we've been subjected to during her tenure (even if the latter can't get her head around why Vickie has a job in spite of not being "in shape").

I'm not sure I'd call Vickie Guerrero's run on WWE TV "a feel-good story", though I'd certainly say it was admirable that she took her role seriously and really tried hard to generate genuine heat. The story didn't have a fairy tale ending, as they started making fun of her weight on TV and then buried her on the way out the door when she had the gall to quit. Earlier on, they were certainly exploiting her loss and her grief in the storylines.

I think Sean's right though about Vickie helping Edge. Edge is one of the few heels in recent years who has been passionately disliked and people genuinely wanted to see get their comeuppance. In large part that's due to the heat his on-screen partners had, who tended to be more hated than he was on his own.

I'll miss her on TV. She started out so wooden and uncomfortable and became such a super heel who had a catchphrase that worked like Pavlov and his dogs. This whole, "Evil WWE doing these terrible things to the poor widder woman" talk just comes off dumb. The character ran it's course, and there ya go. And someday they can bring her back and the first time "Excuse me!" comes out over the house speakers the place will erupt.

If she makes a statement saying "I quit because I didn't like the character I was playing anymore because of fat jokes", then I'll give it to ya. But people jumping on a high horse proclaiming how "wrong" it was to have Saint Eddie's wife as a conniving heel bitch need to lighten up.

Not to get all "serious", but I just doubt that the character of Vickie Guerrerro was designed to "punish".

Liska put it better than I could.

Guest MarkGotch

She did have real heel heat with a lot of fans, but casual WWE fan-people aren't exactly society's best and brightest. In my attempts to watch WWE, I personally have never seen anything involving Vickie that didnt give me an uncontrollable urge to change the channel. I know some people for whatever reason enjoy the non-wrestling parts of a WWE show, but for me 99% of them are just pathetic. Vickie and her role on the show only contributed to what I dislike about WWE and I wont miss her. I honestly cannot imagine anything stupider, or less interesting than an Edge-Vickie-Big show love triangle.... the six most ridiculous words I have ever typed sum up a main event at wrestlemania.