Pro Wrestling Only

Does Screaming Enhance a Match?

Guest Kenta Batista

Guest Kenta Batista

I'm not sure if Melina Perez' screams are a shoot, but they are annoying. When I hear her scream and watch the match she does, it seems as though she (and the other Divas who do it[ though not as loud or as often as she does] ) is compensating for a below average match. Its the 4 pound of icing on the lopsided half baked cake. I began thinking about 'screaming' further and thought about all the AJPW classics and some of the other great Japanese wrestling and ROH "AJPW lite" spots over the past few years and think its very effective if used correctly. The 'fighting spirit' spots in matches gets the crowd to their feet and for a moment,though brief as it may be, wrestling is real( even if for a nano second) as everyone wants to see their favorite wrestler going into "I'm going to kiss you ass for real now!" mode.

I proposed this to some other people who think screaming has no place in a wrestling match(mainly they were referencing divas) and I was told of instances of how more often then not (in America at least) that the screams of a wrestler while delivering a move or series of moves is just sometimes comical. Does screaming enhance a match? Does a scream bring more or take away from move being done? When is too much TOO MUCH?

Guest Hail Sabin

She screamed alot in her match against McCool at Night of Champions. Outside of that match she mainly only screams when she hits her finisher. Screaming in wrestling doesn't bother me because I have gotten use to it and it is nowhere near as bad as grunting in women's tennis.

Ok so I don't watch diva matches and have no idea what her screaming is like in that context but as a manager, live I thought she timed her screaming well.

This is years ago but remember being real impressed by how she would sense crowd getting restless and either scream or "accidentally" expose her ass to get restless crowd's attention back into match. Scream when heels needed boos, expose ass when faces needed cheers. Do neither when match was working on its own.

A lot of people scream when they're in pain. Since wrestling matches tend to involve people causing each other pain, I can't be too shocked or bothered when people scream every now and then. Also, society seems to have established this idea that women scream more than men do, so can't be too shocked or bothered when women scream more often in their matches than men do.

All of this is really besides the point, though, as I don't think the problem exists to the extent that some people are claiming it does. I mean, screaming used to be a big part of Melina's gimmick (and something she pulled off well, as tomk pointed out), but not really something that she relies on much any more. There's a bit of it, but there's a bit of it for a lot of wrestlers, and I don't think it's that big of a deal. It's not like she's Manami Toyota or anything.

It can be very effective and add to a match, but very easily can be overdone.

I think less is more should be the general rule.

Three examples where the screaming thing works would be...

1) when it's part of the gimmick (MsChif or Sting)

2) when it indicates tremendous exertion or effort. Cena does this sometimes when he's in there with a super heavyweight, and I think it's very apt. Obviously it would take more strength to toss around the big fellas and who among us hasn't uttered at least a grunt or two lifting weights or, failing that, furniture?

3) Fighting spirit in VERY rare occasions. Example: Nigel with the big "COME ON!" during his match with Danielson at Unified. Always gives me goosebumps.

Oh, and happy to be here on another forum discussing men in tiny pants pretending to pummel one another.