From the Raw review:
Obviously writers have the right to review wrestling shows and offer criticism. But I think a writer treads into deep water when they start critiquing wrestlers at this level. It feels ripe for the "you've never wrestled" line of attack, and I think there's some validity to it.
NWA World Champion: Thesz. Established the credibility of the title at a time when it was crucially important to do so.
WWF World Champion: Hulk Hogan. Obvious.
Intercontinential Champion: Randy Savage. Drawing money, having great matches all over the place.
US Champion: Tully Blanchard. Gut feel.
NWA/ WCW World Tag Champs: Steiner Brothers. Midnight Express and Rock n Rolls were better teams but I can't quite remember what matches are part of their title reigns.
WWF World Tag Champs: Adonis/Murdoch. Every match I've seen is great.
NWA/ WCW World TV Champion: Lord Steven Regal
AJPW Triple Crown (take NWA International title before 1989): Misawa
IWGP Heavyweight Championship: Keiji Mutoh
AWA World Title: Verne Gagne. Taking a guess. Probably tremendous in the 1960s but we have no footage.
Here's a question for thought. Of the wrestler deaths, how many were caused by wrestlers hanging on too long? I can think of Misawa and Larry Latham. More often it seems like guys stop wrestling and then give out when they can't adjust to a non-athletic lifestyle (thinking guys like Johnny Grunge).
Thinking outside the box on this. Wrestlemania is a premier event at this point that draws a different crowd than the typical WWE audience (more nostalgia type fans). How many people would watch Wrestlemania if it were on a cable channel as opposed to PPV? 5x? 10x? Depending on ad rates they could lose some money on the show itself. But what if these shows on cable led to a revived interest in WWE/wrestling, with more fans watching who typically don't order PPVs? I've only ordered two PPVs in five years. But I'd damn sure watch Wrestlemania. And I can't be the only one.
Eddie Guerrero was a good choice. The WCW Monday Nitro dvd has the match where Guerrero wrestled Juventud Guerrera. Coming back from a devastating car wreck, Eddie got a sympathetic crowd to completely turn against him in the span of about ten minutes.
Heenan was absolutely a wrestler. He was a great bumper, but he was such a great manager and good heel that he would only get sent into the ring once a year by the 1980s. Check out this match though, against Sal Bellomo. Heenan at his heel best as a wrestler.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1JawspciTz8
Looking back a decade ago, Triple H was booked in an authority figure angle of his own. Sergeant Slaughter really did a fine job of coming off tough, standing up as the authority figure but still looking weak enough for the active wrestlers to appear a clear head above him. If that makes any sense.