Pro Wrestling Only

[1996-02-24-USWA-TV] Bill Dundee, PG-13 & Jerry Lawler

Loss

• 3 weeks later...

This is INCREDIBLE. This was Dundee's return after he was legit fired after a knife incident with Wolfie D. He comes out unexpected and says people keep coming up to him and asking him where he has been, so he wanted to explain. Lance Russell tries everything he can to get him to not talk about this on the air. Dundee starts throwing insults at Brian Christopher and then at PG-13, and JC Ice comes down to calm him down. They get in an argument over him not using the name Jamie Dundee, which leads to Dundee insulting Wolfie D. This brings Wolfie D out, and Dundee said he can't believe he got fired over just trying to solve a problem face-to-face, and Wolfie responds that it involved a lot more than just face to face and he knows it. But Wolfie says talking about it on TV is really inappropriate, and that if people want to know what happened, Dave Meltzer can tell everyone in the sheets! He encourages JC to just leave, and then Dundee is continuing to go on and on about it and finally, Lawler comes out to calm him down and gets him to come backstage and sit down. Lawler is awesome as mediator also. This definitely left me wanting more of all this. Great, great stuff.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

Whoa. I thought the firing thing was just an angle. What a suit being worn by Dundee. Bill with some more abuse for his son making jokes about how long it took for Jamie to get a drivers license. Tough dad. Need to read Meltzer to find out the back story! I do wonder how many of the fans knew the legit behind the scenes story.

• 1 year later...

A very dapper Bill Dundee is back out to explain where he's been over the past few months, and we get an incredible shoot angle, complete with Dave Meltzer's name being dropped on the air. Some of this may have gone over the audience's head but they didn't quite reach Brian Pillman levels, so this was awesome. I THINK Dundee was working for Bert Prentice's Ozark Wrestling outfit in his absence, so some of the local audience may have known legit that he was gone. Lawler manages to talk Dundee into going to the back and I'm waiting for Bill to jump him, but it doesn't happen. Anxious to see more of this. Even as the company is decaying in the face of the death of Monday night Coliseum wrestling, early '96 USWA has somehow managed to come off as a hot product.

• 1 month later...

Ok, I just posted in 1993 that Lawler vs. Savage was one of the best USWA segments of the 90's. This is up there too. Dundee and Wolfie have legit beef with each other and that comes across in spades. I loved the shooty aspects of this with it being stated that the viewers need to read Meltzer to get the entire scoop. Gripping stuff all around.

• 2 years later...
  • GSR changed the title to [1996-02-24-USWA-TV] Bill Dundee, PG-13 & Jerry Lawler