Pro Wrestling Only

[1996-04-20-USWA-TV] Jerry Lawler vs Jeff Jarrett

Loss

• 3 weeks later...

Tremendous match, one of the better Memphis studio matches you'll ever see. They kept the show wide open anticipating they would go long, since these two had a 60 minute draw the previous Monday night at Mid South Coliseum. The match probably goes about 30 minutes in real time, with about 18 minutes shown here with commercials edited out. Great finish, as referee Frank Morrell fakes a heart attack as Lawler is about to win the match! Lawler goes to check on him, Jeff schoolboys him, and suddenly he's fine and does a fast count, giving Jarrett the USWA title. Well worth seeing.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 years later...

There are better studio matches on the Yearbooks but this is a very good one--I loved Lance's little breakdown of just why Lawler's punches are so effective. Very Mid-South-ian set-up here, with the "special TV time" and "standby matches." The finish isn't quite as Mid-South-ian but pure Memphis instead, as longtime referee Frank Morrell starts a heel turn by helping Jarrett regain the Unified title with a conveniently timed heart attack.

• 1 month later...

I think this is the studio match of the 90's for me unless Im blanking on something. I loved the way they teased the whole hour and then we do get a bit of an upset with a pin at the halfway point of the show where it comes as a surprise but we still had a ton of match. Morell faking the heart attack was done well and the crowd bit on it big time. I love Memphis when it is like this. ***1/2

• 2 years later...

Really good match, total presentation even better. Great angle to play off the previous 60 minute draw. Both guys look good on the match, and they even work in one of the most cutting edge spots of 2017 wrestling: the countout tease! Good kind of screwy ending.

• GSR changed the title to [1996-04-20-USWA-TV] Jerry Lawler vs Jeff Jarrett