Pro Wrestling Only

[1996-05-05-FMW-7th Anniversary Show] Terry Funk & Mr Pogo vs Hayabusa & Masato Tanaka

Loss

• 3 weeks later...

Onita has the heart of a chicken, according to Funk's pre-match promo. The match looks like a movie scene most of the time. There is an awesome visual at one point of Masato Tanaka doing the spinning toehold on Funk while a siren goes off in the background, and the shots of everyone laying around after the explosion are great. The explosions are so over the top that it's hard for me to be too horrified at all of it. Toyota/Kudo was better, but this was fine.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 years later...

Funk's promo is sort of rambling and is a quasi-babyface promo to start, which is odd standing next to Pogo and Quinones--then he says Onita has the "heart of a chicken" and all is right. He went from kindly old grampa Terry to a psychotic to a disingenuous shit all in one interview.

Pogo does the all-time worst dramatic avoid-the-barbed-wire acting I have ever seen. He stands with his feet planted on the mat, flailing his arms like a jazz-hands routine in a pathetic attempt to look "off balance." Then Tanaka eats the barbed wire explosion instead. Funk brutalizes Hayabusa's leg with a chair before slapping on the spinning toe hold. Incongruous spinning toe holds in weird settings will never not be entertaining to me.

Oh, wait, Pogo after using his sickle is handed a BUTCHER'S KNIFE and he starts sawing Tanaka's back. You know what, fuck this shit. Pogo is such a horrible load that he can't even make me care about someone coming back to give him a taste of his own medicine, because it never fucking happens. Next chapter.

• 1 month later...

Pogo was the worst here but this was a damn good match too and overall this may be FMW strongest card with three different, distinct death matches on top and it is amazing to think that Onita wasn't a participate in any of these matches although he was critical to getting over Kudo vs. Toyodo and this match. This had some great visuals mixed in and Hayabusa took some hellacious damage. I loved his spot of him flying over the ring and the exploding pit. The spinning toe hold spot mentioned above was also memorable. A great capper to a great card. ****

• 2 years later...

I didn't think too much of this match at first. The tornado tag structure with them not being able to use the outside or even run the ropes made for a confined, disorganized match. But once the countdown hit 5 minutes it really took off. The action got a lot more intense and focused with the teams looking for the finish before the explosion. The spots for the explosion pads on the outside were good, as was Hayabusa's dive over one of them. I thought the big explosion came off well and the post-explosion selling was good.

• GSR changed the title to [1996-05-05-FMW-7th Anniversary Show] Terry Funk & Mr Pogo vs Hayabusa & Masato Tanaka