Pro Wrestling Only

Macho Madness Returns To WWE.....At Least The WWE All-Stars Game

KrisZ

Right. It's a bigger deal than the figure since that was to head off Jakks, but it's still not a deal with WWE that requires Vince or anyone else in the company to work with him.

I don't think it's the public association that was ever an issue. We wouldn't have ever gotten the DVD that way.

There's an article in the new Nintendo Power that pretty much gives away Hogan being in the game too, so that makes the current list of known legends

1. Rock

2. Savage

3. Andre

4. Hogan

5. Bret

Plus Howard Finkel announcing and JR and Lawler doing commentary.

In addition to Randy Savage, IGN has reported that John Cena, The Rock, Andre the Giant, Ricky Steamboat, Triple H, Bret Hart, Big Show, John Morrison, Rey Mysterio, Kofi Kingston and Sheamus are all confirmed names that will be in the WWE All-Star video game.

I'd love to have Hogan in the game, but I really doubt they'd put him in while hes working for TNA

That video even got picked up on game sites like Kotaku where it was framed as Savage and WWE making up after 16 years. What was more surprising is the overwhelming response of "I missed that guy, he was awesome" from their readership. If WWE was half as in tune to the pulse of the "WWE Universe" as they think they are, they'd bring him in for an appearance on Raw. I'd imagine the roof would blow off the place for a moment like that.

Today's Herb update mentioned that THQ not only insisted on Hogan being in the game, but that he'd be one of the guys on the cover.

Also:

Too bad the game looks terrible. Cool about Savage though.

Really? I mean, I'd like to hear more about the controls before passing judgment on it as a game, but to say it looks terrible doesn't seem accurate.

Really? I mean, I'd like to hear more about the controls before passing judgment on it as a game, but to say it looks terrible doesn't seem accurate.

It looks like NBA Jam meets wrestling, which is not what I'm personally looking for in a video game. I mean, shit, Savage did the Macho Elbow to a standing opponent. Plus, it looks really blocky to me. Like during Savage's entrance. He looks like the character models from Legends of Wrestling and that game, too, sucked.

Not my cup of tea, controls or not.

It looks like NBA Jam meets wrestling, which is not what I'm personally looking for in a video game. I mean, shit, Savage did the Macho Elbow to a standing opponent. Plus, it looks really blocky to me. Like during Savage's entrance. He looks like the character models from Legends of Wrestling and that game, too, sucked.

Not my cup of tea, controls or not.

Next you'll be saying that Savage never did tilt-a-whirl modified facebusters and John Woo missile dropkicks.

I can't tell if you're joking or not but who exactly is the audience for this game? I guess that's why they're putting random people like Kofi Kingston in it too so they can sell it to a younger audience. If it's featuring legends, like Savage, newer fans won't even know who they are. Are older fans going to want to play a wrestling video game that is more like Ultimate Muscle than it is WWF No Mercy?

It's hard to say, I guess...but I'm not.

I can see it appealing to people from roughly early-20s to mid-30s, which covers a fair amount of both the video game and WWE demographics. Savage was still a significant presence in late '90s WCW, and the gameplay doesn't look THAT outlandish to me relative to what's been around for the last decade.

And yes, that post was a joke.

If they're going to put out two WWE games in a year, this one is going to have to play differently from the Smackdown vs Raw series. I have no problems with the idea of an arcade-style wrestling game, but usually such things fail in execution. For example, this game is going to suck because it's made by the team that made the TNA game.

Guest Slickster

It's being produced by Sal DiVita, who did both Mortal Kombat AND NBA Jam. The ridiculously over-the-top gameplay looks like NFL Blitz for pro wrestling.

As long as people understand it's not supposed to be a realistic simulation I think it could definitely be a lot of fun.

For example, this game is going to suck because it's made by the team that made the TNA game.

I concur. That was literally the worst wrestling game that I have ever played. It felt like it was not finished. Like, not even close to being finished. An early developmental phase. About 30-40% complete game. It sure was pretty though!

It's being produced by Sal DiVita, who did both Mortal Kombat AND NBA Jam. The ridiculously over-the-top gameplay looks like NFL Blitz for pro wrestling.

As long as people understand it's not supposed to be a realistic simulation I think it could definitely be a lot of fun.

This was pretty much how I felt about it from watching the trailer. It felt like WWE: Jam. Which does not necessarily mean that it will not be fun. In fact, I think that would make a great XBL game. It's just that as a stand-alone release, with a retail full price, it'll be hard to justify picking the game up when it seems like it would only be fun for short periods of time with friends. Obviously it is way too early to tell if that is true or not, but I'm not a real optimistic person.

So it's the TNA iMPACT! engine, produced by the NBA Jam dude and looks like it'll play like Ultimate Muscle. That's not my cup of tea, so perhaps passing judgment on it early was a bit hasty, however as a first incarnation, I definitely hold to my premature opinion that this game is going to be awful. I want substance, not pretty, shiny graphics and hard-selling using famous people from my childhood. I think Savage is awesome but he can't make a bad game good.