Pro Wrestling Only

[1993-01-02-USWA-TV] Jerry Lawler and Mike Miller

Loss

• 3 weeks later...

Lawler does an interview saying he hopes 1993 is a great year for wrestling. Here here. He laments the loss of the territories, but hopes that both the WWF and WCW can improve in the coming year.

He says they asked him to come on TV because he's the most exciting guy in the country on TV.

Lawler mentions that he saw Randy Savage, Curt Hennig and Jimmy Hart in the WWF locker room, all guys who broke into the business in Memphis.

He then switches gears to cutting a promo on Mike Samples for costing him the win in a $10,000 battle royal, which he doesn't take lightly. They transition to a clip of the battle royal, and sure enough, Lawler is telling the truth -- Samples actually hit him with brass knucks. In wrestling of all things!

Mike Miller comes out and attacks Lawler mid-sentence by throwing a chair at his head and then jumps on him and starts throwing punches. The locker room clears to pull Miller off of Lawler, but now Lawler is geared up and ready to fight himself. They get pulled apart.

Gotta love Memphis.

Were getting the complete and accurate Lawler over at Seguda, Lawler is getting a little more GOAT push from his work this year, but I bet if the internet was around in the 80's he would have a top spot locked in. Lawler talks about the wrestling industry as a whole and how it will hurt fans, but hopes for the best. Then switches gears to his current beef and simply lays out why he is pissed with MIKE SAMPLES. Cheating-Chair throwing-brawl-match, pretty simple. Lawler is the best.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Lawler wanting 93 to be more about competition between the wrestlers and maybe the organizations can get along. Dundee on his way to WCW to help them out and Lawler brings up that he has popped up on TV in WWF. We start the whole Lawler a face in Memphis while a heel in WWF thing for 93. Lawler was able to take the chair shot to his back instead of head which is smart. I still think he should have been more fazed from the initial blow though.

• 3 months later...

Lawler is optimistic about the state of wrestling in 1993...yeah, that ain't happening, and you'll be one of the reasons why, Jerry. Lawler uses the WCW hiring of Dundee and his WWF television work to put over the USWA (and himself). Lawler brings up a Moondog Battle Royal and how Mike Samples cost him $10,000 (I was hoping he would add, "...and one Cadillac, you fuckin' shit," but nope). Quick film clip follows--THE CHRISTMAS CREATURE! All right! Lawler comes off a little whiny here, complaining about foreign object use in a Moondog Battle Royal. Mike Miller comes out of nowhere flinging a chair at Lawler's head. Hot pull-apart follows, with an implication that he and Lawler had gotten into a "real" fight away from the ring (Lawler brought up the facial injuries but danced around the cause).

Mike Miller and Mike Samples are quite the step down from when Gilbert, Embry, and the Moondogs were the USWA's top heels, but this was as effective of a use of them as one could come up with.

• 2 months later...

Lawler out talking about competition between companies rather than wrestlers. Talks about his role on WWF TV, but says he's not leaving the USWA. He then shows highlights of a Moondog Battle Royal where Mike Samples knocked him out and cost him $10K. Mike Miller out to throw a chair at Lawler and they brawl in the studio. Not a whole lot in Memphis is really doing it for me lately and this is no different. Not bad, just not particularly compelling.

• 10 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Miller throwing the chair at Lawler was a nice touch, and I was glad he was on target; if he'd missed it would have been one of the most embarrassing moments in Memphis wrestling history.

I guess a Moondog battle royal means that anything goes, in which case Lawler doesn't really have a beef, except that he's the King and how dare anyone cost him anything.

Miller and Samples are quite a step below what comes later in the year for Lawler in terms of feud partners, but they'll do on a temporary basis until the WWF exchange really gets going.

Was the USWA looking to possibly get some interpromotional stuff going with WCW through Dundee the way they did through the WWF with Lawler? I ask this because according to wrestlingdata.com, Bill made at least one more MSC appearance in March, and since that site is notoriously incomplete, there could certainly have been others, not to mention stops at other places around the Memphis loop. Unfortunately, even if there were such plans on the Memphis end, WCW didn't bite the way the WWF did.

• GSR changed the title to [1993-01-02-USWA-TV] Jerry Lawler and Mike Miller