Pro Wrestling Only

[1993-04-03-WWF-Superstars] Interview: Bret Hart

Loss

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

I kinda thought Bret gets a bit buried here. Since he does lose to Yoko. I wonder if they knew he was doing the honors for Yoko yet. Plus the focus was more on Savage than the champ. I did like how Bret entered and bumped Lawler out of the way.

• 7 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I'm surprised that Bret couldn't figure out the finish by himself. If someone as small as he is beats a guy Yoko's size, the guy who's Yoko's size becomes a laughingstock unless it's a longer match where the bigger guy gets visibly worn out. Vince didn't do non-pinfall finishes in Mania main events (Hogan-Sid being an obvious exception, and that's only because Hogan was leaving), so he should have guess that he was going down at least semi-clean. Whether he would have ever dreamed about Hogan taking the belt so soon and thus screwing him out of rematches (at least in the short term) is another matter.

Match the previous weekend or no, I found it odd that Randy got almost all the screen time with Bret here while Vince and Lawler got almost none. Had I been asked to guess which direction the company was going, I would have said that they were subtly setting up a Savage heel turn and a Savage-Hart feud, whether the title was involved or not.

Bret's actual promo was about what you'd expect. I was a little annoyed at Savage for constantly spelling "respect" instead of saying the word. Then again, he's always done that going back to his original WWF heel run, and he probably did it in Memphis and his dad's promotion too.

Lawler looked like a goof smiling at nothing while Bret was talking. I had no idea he was this bad this soon; if I didn't already know that this was the same guy who was the top babyface in Memphis, and was actually taken seriously in that role, I never would have guessed it from seeing this.

They're really pushing the toga idea; I can't wait to see how ridiculous guys like JR, Gino, and Heenan look in theirs. I also can't wait to see Savage's idea of a "Macho Toga".

• GSR changed the title to [1993-04-03-WWF-Superstars] Interview: Bret Hart