Pro Wrestling Only

[1993-06-12-WCW-Saturday Night] Vader and Sid vignette

Loss

• 2 months later...

In one of the many overly-produced mini movies, Cheatum the Evil Midget brings Vader and Sid (and their managers) to a podium in front of a bunch of rowdy fans. They announce that Vader and Sid are now a tag team called The Masters of the Powerbomb. Without the ridiculous fans who overreact to everything, this wouldn't be quite as terrible as it might be otherwise. The Colonel is pretty good in this setting, actually.

• 10 months later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

What the fuck is with the New Orleans big band music?! Cheetum is here, and he SPEAKS. This is a press conference held in front of a bunch of chanting, pro-Vader and pro-Sid construction worker types. And shot on film, which makes this look even odder. Sid and Vader are officially the Masters of the Power Bomb, and right on cue the attendants start chanting "POWER BOMB." These aren't bad promos on the part of Race or the Colonel, but this could just as easily have been done on the Saturday Night set instead of whatever the hell this was supposed to be. Thank God this should be the worst of the Beach Blast build-up.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

Don;t you get it, guys? How can Eric Bischoff show Hollywood producers that he's worthy of joining their ranks if he doesn't actually produce some cinematic content? Never mind that this stupid thing has no plot, is full of senseless screaming, and is about four minutes too long for its intended purpose. Also, the Dixieland band serves no purpose, all the "extras" look like they're identical twins of each other, and what the hell's this powerbomb nonsense anyway? Is Eric trying to scare the poor innocent moviegoing public with senseless warmongering?

Now that I've panned this thing as a movie, let me move on to the actual wrestling aspects. First, I thought I was going to dislike the Col. Parker character, and I was right. Robert Fuller, for all his bluster, is a legitimately scary dude. This joker is laughable. I thought we were going to get a takeoff on the real Col. Parker (Elvis' manager), which would have been a different hook for a wrestling character, especially since he wouldn't have an Elvis equivalent with him at this time. Instead, Fuller does a piss-poor Charles Durning.

Do any of you remember the '90s Burt Reynolds sitcom ​Evening Shade? ​If you do, this is Dr. Harlan Eldridge's twin brother dressed up in a stereotypical Southern plantation owners' outfit stolen right off the MGM back lot. We're supposed to fear this man why, exactly? He doesn't look one bit like an evil mastermind or talk like one either. Harley comes off like the brains of the outfit here, so why didn't he just bring Sid in himself be the Hughes to Vader's Luger? What do we need Fuller for? I could have even bought Harley selling Vader's contract to Fuller, which would have given Fuller instant credibility since he would now control the belt, plus have Sid to act as a roadblock for guys like Sting and Davey Boy. But that's me thinking like a booker, not a Hollywood producer. (Notice I said Fuller specifically; in my world, the Stud comes to WCW as himself. He doesn't have to wrestle if they don't want him to, but he talks the way and acts he always has.)

"Masters of the Powerbomb" sounds like an action figure line, not a tag team. Couldn't they have given them a more descriptive name, such as "Two Ugly, Tough Suckers?"

I'll give them credit for this: Willie B. is a much better name for an evil midget than Cheatum.

To sum up, instead of a legitimately scary promo featuring two of wrestling's toughest legends announcing a team for the ages that's looking to take WCW by storm and by force, we get something I'd dream up if I went to bed after eating three full pizzas with extra anchovies and hot peppers. Which is the "sports entertainment" company again?

• GSR changed the title to [1993-06-12-WCW-Saturday Night] Vader and Sid vignette