Pro Wrestling Only

Fit Finlay Fired

goodhelmet

I love how much the WWE loves to chant their "We're a family!" catchphrase, despite being totally willing to end someone's career at the drop of a hat if they might threaten the bottom line.

The WWE is a corporation. That is pretty much the norm as corporations go.

This sucks though I have to admit I really want to see Finlay work Chris Hero, TJP and Cabana.

It's not them acting like a typical corporation that bugs me; it's their usual hypocracy with claiming that they're not just a typical corporation. The WWE is far more shameless than most capitalistic organizations when it comes to lying about how much they love their employees or how they do all of this for their great fans.

It's not them acting like a typical corporation that bugs me; it's their usual hypocracy with claiming that they're not just a typical corporation. The WWE is far more shameless than most capitalistic organizations when it comes to lying about how much they love their employees or how they do all of this for their great fans.

They really aren't. Corporations are very much PR agencies, with managers and higher ups routinely lying about how they care about their "associates" or whatever buzzword of the week they are using to describe their employees. The big difference here is that because of the independent contractor scam the WWE is allowed to get away with shit that most employers would never be able to get away with.

It's not them acting like a typical corporation that bugs me; it's their usual hypocrisy with claiming that they're not just a typical corporation. The WWE is far more shameless than most capitalistic organizations when it comes to lying about how much they love their employees or how they do all of this for their great fans.

I worked for Radio Shack a couples years ago and got lectured by the regional, district, and store supervisors for answering a question wrong on one of the mandatory monthly training exercises.

I believe they used the John Doe example. In the question (written out like a story) it asked if John should be allowed to work another part-time job while employed by Radio Shack. This second job would actually pay him more and provide him the means to better support himself and/or his family. I instinctively answered yes to the question, and that's when the shit hit the fan. I was lectured that John's new job might interfere with his Radio Shack responsibilities. Being who I am, I naturally defended my position by stating something like, "Plenty of people have been able to work around having two work schedules." One of the higher managers responded with, "Again, it might create a problem with his employment here." Basically pointing out the obvious fact of they only care about the business and not the employee. There was a lot I wanted to say back to them, but chose to keep my job for another few months. Sometimes though, the silent majority need to speak.

They really aren't. Corporations are very much PR agencies, with managers and higher ups routinely lying about how they care about their "associates" or whatever buzzword of the week they are using to describe their employees. The big difference here is that because of the independent contractor scam the WWE is allowed to get away with shit that most employers would never be able to get away with.

My point is that the WWE is even worse about it than most other companies. The independent contractor bullshit, the absolutely insane hours and travel schedule, the relatively low salaries for most of their employees compared to the amount of effort required, the unbelievably tense and hostile work atmosphere with a million stupid unwritten rules, the deliberate practice of management to mentally (and sometimes physically) punish and torture their employees just to see "if they can take it", the barely-hidden racist and sexist practices, and the company's various flagrantly illegal activities all combine together into a perfect storm of Fuck This Job. Yet they probably spend more time, money, and effort in gloating about what a great company they are than most other similarly-sized corporations.

I worked for Radio Shack a couples years ago and got lectured by the regional, district, and store supervisors for answering a question wrong on one of the mandatory monthly training exercises.

Sorry it took you that long to get out. I only lasted a week and a half at Radio Shack before figuring out what coldblooded bastards they were and getting the fuck outta Dodge.

• 5 weeks later...

Fit Finlay's firing inspires Lance Storm to write a column entitled Too Sensitive where he wonders whether "in a World so worried about being politically correct, and not offending anyone, is it even possible to get heat anymore". My favourite part:

We bad mouthed the US and even “attempted” to burn the American flag in Madison Square Garden. Was this offensive? Of course it was but that was the whole point. It was meant to offend, so when “The American Bad Ass” the Undertaker, JBL, and other proud American’s took exception to it and stood up for their Country and made us stop, they were seen as heroes.

Trust Lance not to even consider the loss of kayfabe making cheap heat angles like this much less effective.

'Cheap heat' works purely because it is (at least in theory) 'offensive'. Using Lance's rationale, if more things than ever are construed as offensive, then there's more stuff to be used for cheap heat, rather than the reverse. Of course there has to be a line (and burning a flag is really nothing) but it's only an audience who don't get offended (and, say, laugh at the attempt) where cheap heat doesn't work. I don't remember precisely but were the Dudleys ever actually 'hated' for their spiels in ECW, or did the crowd not find it more amusing?

I don't think it's a 'loss of kayfabe' thing. I mean, supposed 'genuine' heat, sure, like a heel getting stabbed or shot, that isn't going to happen (thankfully). But no one goes to a wrestling show who isn't in the spirit of getting "into the show" anyway...

I cannot imagine thinking otherwise, honestly. There have been times where angles have supposedly been "unscripted", but that is another thing entirely.

I have been curious of this for some time now - since kayfabe is all but dinosaur fuel now, how does the WWE and other American wrestling companies keep things going - meaning angles. Clearly it is not real, is scripted, and no one ever dies at the end. For all of pro wrestling's faults, it is amazing that it has survived this long on an empty tank of reality. I would have thought that most wrestling companies would have gone back to their fundamental basics by now. That being, of course, purely athletic competitions won by out-wrestling one's opponent, but without the hokiest angles to support and now, more often than not, dominate the athletic portion of the match/feud.

I don't remember precisely but were the Dudleys ever actually 'hated' for their spiels in ECW, or did the crowd not find it more amusing?

There were certainly times where the Dudleys, Bubba especially, would nearly cause a riot with their heel antics. One thing ECW (and later ROH) would prove time and again is the "smarter" a crowd is the easier it is to work them up.

I cannot imagine thinking otherwise, honestly. There have been times where angles have supposedly been "unscripted", but that is another thing entirely.

I have been curious of this for some time now - since kayfabe is all but dinosaur fuel now, how does the WWE and other American wrestling companies keep things going - meaning angles. Clearly it is not real, is scripted, and no one ever dies at the end. For all of pro wrestling's faults, it is amazing that it has survived this long on an empty tank of reality. I would have thought that most wrestling companies would have gone back to their fundamental basics by now. That being, of course, purely athletic competitions won by out-wrestling one's opponent, but without the hokiest angles to support and now, more often than not, dominate the athletic portion of the match/feud.

Isn't that just MMA?