Pro Wrestling Only

Rivalries

JerryvonKramer

I've been a fan of this series from the beginning. At best it is insightful and illuminating, it's entertaining and provides a decent history lesson with the opportunity to see some footage from the vaults.

Yes, there are some annoying panelists. Mike Graham, for example, always has my eyes rolling and I don't really like Pat Patterson on it either.

Anyway, this one featured the debut of Bret Hart on this show and, my god, what an uptight son-of-bitch he is. He just seems to have a real chip on his shoulder about something.

That is not the purpose of this thread however. Usually on Legends of Wrestling they do a decent job of running the gamut on the subject, but this one was very very disappointing because instead of looking through all of the great rivalries they focused exclusively on just five:

Rock vs. Austin - because any time JR is on he'll spend 20 minutes at least talking about Austin.

Freebirds vs. the Von Erichs - which they talk about pretty much every time Michael Hayes is on, basically every episode.

Andre vs. Hogan - which they spent about 5 minutes on

The British Bulldogs vs. The Fabulous Rougeous - which is genuinely something I didn't know about before

Bret Hart vs. Shawn Michael - which they spent close to 40 minutes on

That was IT.

My question: what would you add to this list? I think Dusty vs. Flair is the biggest omission, but what else?

Flair v Steamboat

Rey v Eddie

Mcmahon v Austin

Heenan v Hogan

Mankind v Undertaker isn't something that people may want to watch in reflection but at a time where Undertaker was a guy who didn't have feuds (he had build to match followed by match) kind of showed how actual feud can do a lot to revive and add years to a guys career.

Rock vs. Austin - because any time JR is on he'll spend 20 minutes at least talking about Austin.

Freebirds vs. the Von Erichs - which they talk about pretty much every time Michael Hayes is on, basically every episode.

Andre vs. Hogan - which they spent about 5 minutes on

The British Bulldogs vs. The Fabulous Rougeous - which is genuinely something I didn't know about before

Bret Hart vs. Shawn Michael - which they spent close to 40 minutes on

You only really have room for five on that show (one for each panelist). Bulldogs/Rougeaus feels like an idiosyncratic pick, the WWE Roundtable equivalent of using a personal pick in the DVDVR 80's sets for something weird. The other four make sense, but aside from Von Erichs/Freebirds, pretty sure you could pick better feuds for each of the guys involved. Also, Khawk remembered correctly. There was a previous "Rivalries" episode. I've seen part of it, but I can't find it online on short notice and don't know the full lineup of what they talked about. Pretty sure I remember Snuka/Muraco and R'n'Rs/MX being brought up, but beyond that, can't say for sure. Still, it's a broad topic, and one they could probably revisit a lot.

Still, most picks aren't bad, but feel like they could be better. Austin/Rock feels like it could've easily been swapped out for Austin/McMahon, since that was really the bigger, more relevant feud. Likewise, Hogan/Andre could've been superseded by Hogan/Heenan, which would've covered Hogan/Andre and then some. I think the current WWE version of wrestling history has Bret/Michaels as being the biggest rivalry in the history of the ever ever, so kinda inevitable that that would be there and get the bulk of discussion, even if I'm not sure it really deserves to. Hart Foundation vs. America might be too broad. Bret vs. Owen would probably be my choice, and we could probably drop Bulldogs/Rougeaus for Michaels/Ramon if you want both Bret and Shawn represented. But overall, not a bad lineup.

I liked Bret shooting down the "no one was sure if Andre would do business/Hogan was afraid of a shoot" myth down. Patterson trying to sell that Andre was in the gym 6 days a week to be in shape for WM3 was pretty funny considering another tidbit revealed was that the famous motorized ring carts came about since it was doubtful Andre could walk that far to the ring.

Pretty sure they did a previous rivalries segment where they discussed ones other than these in greater detail. Pretty sure.

I can forgive the streamlining of the topic if they were broader first time out.

See I thought this, but it was one from ages and ages ago.

In fact, they spent two whole shows on it. It was the line-up with: Bischoff, Foley, Hayes and Lawler.

I might actually start re-watching some of these.

Ok, just did some digging around:

Greatest Rivalries 1 was: Austin/McMahon & Hennig/Bockwinkel

and Rivalries 2 was: Snuka/Muraco, Midnight Express/Rock n Roll Express & Flair/Rhodes

Do you know I can't recall either of these AT ALL. I thought I'd seen all of these but there's a slim possibility that I haven't because I have no recollection at all of Bischoff tackling the above issues. Actually, I thought the only Bischoff episode was the Monday Night Wars one. This is potentially awesome for because, for all it's failings, I love this show.