Pro Wrestling Only

2002 Recommendations

Loss

FWA

2/09/2002 Doug Williams vs Eddy Guerrero

2/09/2002 Doug Williams vs Jody Fleish

The following are nominations from a write up I wrote back in 2007 regarding the FWA 'British Uprising' show. I really enjoyed the matches at the time but haven't watched them in years.

10.13.02 Raj Ghosh vs Jack Xavier vs James Tighe

10.13.02 Jerry Lynn vs Doug Williams

10.13.02 AJ Styles vs Jonny Storm

The three way was the show opener, and I know got lots of plaudits at the time especially as all three were fairly young into their careers.

• 8 months later...

Is this all of the essential All Japan for 2002? And is everything really essential?

02/24/02 - Genichiro Tenryu vs Satoshi Kojima

02/24/02 - Keiji Muto vs Toshiaki Kawada

04/01/02 - Genichiro Tenryu vs Keiji Muto

04/13/02 - Arashi/Araya vs Nagai/Okumura

04/13/02 - Satoshi Kojima vs Taiyo Kea

04/13/02 - Genichiro Tenryu vs Keiji Muto

07/20/02 - Genichiro Tenryu vs Taiyo Kea

08/30/02 - Kaz Hayashi vs Jimmy Yang

08/30/02 - Keiji Muto vs Taiyo Kea

08/30/02 - Genichiro Tenryu vs Hiroshi Hase

08/31/02 - Maasaki Mochizuki, Dragon Kid & Jimmy Yang vs Magnum Tokyo, Yokosuka & Darkness

10/27/02 - Satoshi Kojima vs Hiroshi Hase

10/27/02 - Great Muta vs Genichiro Tenryu

12/06/02 - Satoshi Kojima & Taiyo Kea vs Shinjiro Otani & Masato Tanaka

Dates are in DD/MM/YY

Jerry Lynn vs Low Ki vs AJ Styles - 28/8/02 TNA

Low Ki vs Jerry Lynn vs AJ Styles - 7/8/02 TNA

AJ Styles vs Low Ki vs Jerry Lynn vs Psicosis - 26/6/02 TNA

AJ Styles vs Jerry Lynn - 2/10/02 TNA

Jerry Lynn vs AJ Styles - 6/11/02 TNA

Shawn Michaels vs Triple H - WWE - Summerslam 2002

Kurt Angle & Chris Benoit vs Edge & Rey Mysterio - WWE Smackdown 7/11/02

Kurt Angle vs Edge - WWE Smackdown 3/10/02

Eddie Guerrero vs Edge - WWE Smackdown 26/9/02

Eddie Guerrero vs Rob Van Dam - WWE RAW 27/5/02

Rey Mysterio vs Chris Benoit - WWE Smackdown 3/10/02

Edge vs Kurt Angle vs Chris Benoit vs Eddie Guerrero - WWE Smackdown 5/12/02

Akitoshi Saito & Jun Akiyama vs Kenta Kobashi & Kentaro Shiga - 19/10/02 NOAH

Low Ki vs AJ Styles - ROH Honor Invades Boston

Bryan Danielson vs Low Ki vs Christopher Daniels - ROH Era of Honor Begins

Michael Shane vs Paul London - ROH Unscripted

Low Ki vs Christopher Daniels vs Doug Williams vs Spanky - ROH Crowning A Champion

Jay Briscoe vs Mark Briscoe - ROH Honor Invades Boston

• 4 weeks later...

Been watching MLW shows. Nothing on thre is great, but there's some funnish and good sort of stuff:

Genesis 6/16/02:

-Jerry Lynn v La Parka is a pretty fun match. Goes maybe ten minutes.

-Steve Corino v Shane Douglas is a pretty recurring thing through the night. Corino cuts this really-bad-into-good promo in a bathroom or something where he says he needs to beat Douglas before retiring or something. His pre-match promo was totally weird. He says "THESE PEOPLE HERE ARE 'SMART'; THEY READ THE SHEETS: YOU'RE HERE TO PUT OVER TONIGHT ARENT'CHA?" Their match is OK, too.

-The whole night is basically an MLW Championship tournament, and the other semis become Taiyo Kea v Vampiro. Which was fucking bad. But THAT ends in a time limit draw, so instead of going X more minutes, finalist Shane Douglas pops out and wins the title in a three way in about 50 seconds. Shane then cuts a promo after the match where he says "fuck" more than any other promo ever. The Scarface of wrestling promos. Douglas plays off of his 94 promo (throws the belt down and talks about some greats), and talks about not giving a (FUCKING) shit about the Title he just won, but John Finnegan says if he doesn't defend it he will be banned from wrestling in Pennsylvania. Ironically this was Douglas' only MLW show ever. If there's any interest including this on the set, I'd recommend using maybe the last minute of the Vampiro/Kea, and then everything else after that. Takes up like eight minutes altogether, me thinks.

-----------

Reload 9/26/02:

This is my favourite show so far, and I just finished Summer Apocalypse (August 03). Really fun event:

-Opener is a fun Super Crazy v Fuergo Guerrero. Red looked good, Crazy looked good (and apparently cursed in Spanish); overall this would have made a really cool WCW Thunder cruiser match.

-La Parka v Shocker is about as fun and WCW-Thunder-Cruiser as Crazy/Fuergo. Except it has LA PARKA (!!!)

-Funk v Candido I watched a while ago (so I skipped it on the show), but I remember it being good. Might have gone too long and I'm not really a Candido advocate, but it was good. Sunny looked kind of chunky.

-Main event is crowning a new Champ since Douglas went wherever. It's Lynn v Kojima. Didn't really dig it that much, but IDK how much you're going have the room for on the set and which companies you think are important enough to have the Title changes of on. Could only show the finish of this if nothing else.

-----------

King of Kings 12/26/02

I don't remember much about this show- likely because it isn't great and it went too long. STILL, couple of good things:

-Sabu v La Parka was pretty insane. I'm surprised Sabu looked this good. Parka bled like a total motherfucker after Sabu grates his head with a pair of scissors. Pretty ridiculous match. Sometime after the match Fonzie drops water on Parka in appreciation, but when talking about a re-match in a promo outside of the arena- Parka kills him. Drops trash cans on him and shit. Then he cuts a promo in Mexican. lafuckingparka.

-Funk v Dusty v Corino is cool, and it leads to the Corino/CW Anderson/Simon Diamond Extreme Horsemen formation. I fucking loathe the team of Diamond and CW, but this made up Terry Funk's feud of MLW (at least from what I've seen).

-World Title match is Kojima beating Vampiro. It has Vampiro in it. So yeah, not worth much.

• 2 months later...

Lesnar's debut on 18th March Raw where he interferes in a hardcore match with Snow and Maven and just fucking DESTROYS dudes. Puts Al Snow through a bin and then triple powerbombs Spike Dudley with Heyman screaming "AGAIN!" on the outside. It's awesome and definitely worth including for the genesis of Lesnar IMO

• 1 year later...

I may include one thing with the Backseat Boyz, Justice Pain, Nick MOndo, or Messiah since they were all prominent during this year but nothing stands out and I think 4-5 matches from CZW would be good enough and show how much ROH really took over the indy scene in 2002.

Adam Flash-Messiah-Mondo-Pain on 5/11 is an overbooked spotfest clusterfuck, making it pretty much the perfect CZW main event.

• 2 weeks later...