Pro Wrestling Only

[1995-09-04-WCW-Nitro] Hulk Hogan and Lex Luger

Loss

• 2 months later...

Last few minutes of Hogan/Big Bubba. Announcers suck when Hogan does the bodyslam and the announcers don't even call it. After the match, the Dungeon of Doom runs in to attack Hogan and Luger makes the save. Hogan doesn't appreciate the help and they start yelling at each other until Sting and Savage try to calm things down. I'm not sure why Hogan was so upset about Luger helping him, but whatever, this worked.

Luger says he's in WCW to take the belt from Hogan, because the WCW World Champion is the only world champion. He says he's sick and tired of playing with kids. He says he's beaten all the same people Hogan has beaten, and Hogan says as good as he is, he's not beating him. Hot, surprising angle to wrap up the first Nitro.

• 6 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 6 months later...

Just the finish, so we miss Mongo's trenchant insight that Bubba is a brawler and Hogan is "more of a technician." Standard Hogan match, then a soon-to-be-standard Dungeon of Doom run-in. Luger is back to help run the DOD off and he and Hogan face off in an utterly wild set of circumstances. Lex is instantly revitalized and feels like his 1989-90 self again on the stick. Even Hulk feels a bit fresher--he even puts over Luger, somewhat! Hogan declares he'll defend the title against Luger NEXT MONDAY. I remember both me and my dad absolutely losing our shit when Hogan said that--*that* was arguably a bigger moment than Luger's initial appearance. Things were in such a state of chaos that many informed, educated fans truly thought they'd go all-out and change the title. It's instantly the most interesting Hogan title defense of his reign, and we were getting it on TV against a taped Raw!

There's lots to criticize about Bischoff, and about certain parts of the presentation here. But overall this was pretty much a home run of a debut--all action and it left you salivating for next week.

• 2 years later...
  • GSR changed the title to [1995-09-04-WCW-Nitro] Hulk Hogan and Lex Luger