Pro Wrestling Only

[1994-01-22-WWF-Superstars] Interview: Bret & Owen Hart

Loss

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Don't ask me why I keep noticing this, but...viewing Bret in a singlet here and at Survivor Series, you kind of understand why he prefers long tights.

It's now pointed out that Bret and Owen will also be in the Rumble against each other--re-using undercard guys in the Rumble itself was a first, and it's practically a giant banner being dropped that said, "OUR ROSTER SUCKS NOW." Owen is just overflowing with enthusiasm, talking about what a big break is coming his way tonight after seeing Bret bring home title belt after title belt. The uber-babyface stuff is a great way of setting up the turn.

• 3 years later...

This was one of the best attempted swerves in wrestling history. Other than the understandable stuff about the tag title match being his big break, Owen talks like he and Bret really have ​made up and are a united pair. Most of the fans were probably seeing the turn as a foregone conclusion, so they needed to create some suspense about it, and they accomplished that here.

Despite Vince's tease, Ray didn't ask about the Rumble match, probably because that would have undermined what the interview was trying to accomplish. I see by Graham's page that Owen was eliminated long before Bret even came to the ring, which was a smart move since they wanted to save the brothers' one-on-one confrontation for Mania X.

Did Ray ever acknowledge that one of the Quebecers was his brother? I wonder if he ever interviewed Jacques, and how they played it if he did. If I had to guess, I'd say someone else did those interviews, since Jacques was never explicitly recognized as Jacques Rougeau while he was a Quebecer that I know of. Personally, I think Ray would have been a much better fit as the Quebecers' manager than Levy was, whether they acknowledged Ray and Jacques as brothers or not.

• GSR changed the title to [1994-01-22-WWF-Superstars] Interview: Bret & Owen Hart