Pro Wrestling Only

[1994-03-12-AAA] Konnan vs Jake Roberts

Loss

• 1 month later...

Sherri in AAA is always amusing to me. And because she's Sherri, of course she takes a bump on the floor.

Anyway, this is really nothing as a match, but the heat is through the roof and I enjoyed all the extracurricular stuff happening around the match. The Mascarita Sagrada/Jake Roberts interactions have always amused me, and Sagrada caps off a great night by doing a spectacular dive off the top of the cage. He didn't think that one through though, because now he's at Jake's Mercy in the cage. Konnan finally makes a comeback, saves Sagrada and gets the win. It was about time he did something!

• 4 weeks later...

The match itself stunk but at least Jake took a good bump off a missed knee lift. The antics outside of the ring are what really made this entertaining. Sherri takes a bump as always then gets stretchered out. That was hilarious. Mascarita Sagrada does a fucking splash off the top of the cage! Jake no sells it which was bizarre and goes after Sagrada. Konnan makes the save and wins the match. Sagrada had one hell of a night.

My worst match of the year so far on the yearbook. Sherri has a real random 1994 being in ECW, AAA, and later on with Flair in the end of the year. Sagrada's dive off the top was nuts but I hated how Jake popped right up and then towered over him. The work between Konnan and Jake was real slow and plodding but the heat and antics outside made this decent to watch.

• 1 year later...

Terrible match objectively, but the stuff outside the ring is all fun. Sagrada had a hell of a night, didn't he? Jake abusing Mascarita and attempting to give him the DDT should have been highly dramatic, and the crowd was into it, but there wasn't any kind of urgency or theater to Konnan's rescue--or Jake's selling. The in-ring aspect basically petered out after Jake used Konnan's hair-extensions as a whip right at the open. Jake has fallen off badly and is woefully out of shape, and yet somehow he still outworked Konnan, who did nothing here besides lay around. Why is Blue Panther aligned with Jake when Jake was aligned with Eddy & Love Machine?

• 6 months later...

i thought sherris bump was the craziest thing i would see in this match and then sagrada dives off the fucking cage for fucks sake. how many multiples of his height was that thing? for something i was really dreading watching this actually turned out pretty entertaining, thanks entirely to everyone not name jake or konnan. thankfully they seemed to focus much more on the outside stuff than the 'match'.

did jake have a boy or a girl, btw?

• 1 year later...

A washed up, out of his element Jake Roberts against one of the worst main event wrestler's of all time. Not an obvious formula for success is it? Fortunately Antonio Pena realised that and had prepared an absolute masterpiece of match booking.

The action inside the ring was deliberately paced and totally one sided. That was the background. The real action was outside the cage. First it was Perro vs Blue Panther, with Sherri being used as a human shield by the treacherous rudo. He accidently KO'd her though, leading to a stretcher job. Aguayo then got taken out and it looked grim before Mascara Sagrada and his pint sized partner saved the day. Mascarita flying off the top of the cage was awesome beyond description. The lil' dude then found himself in dire straights with the evil Snake about to have his way. For the only time in his entire career I'm cheering on Konnan and am glad when he wins. So let's give props to K-Dawg. Having the best singles bout of your career whilst being the 7th best performer in it is an almost impossible achievement.

When it comes to wrestling cards you definitely should read a book by its cover. Just not this time. This provided such great entertainment when it had disaster written all over it.

• GSR changed the title to [1994-03-12-AAA] Konnan vs Jake Roberts