Pro Wrestling Only

[1994-03-19-AAA] Angel Azteca & Volador & Winners vs Misterioso & Solar I & Super Calo

Loss

• 1 month later...

Super match! I'm a little tired and having trouble formulating my thoughts at the moment, but this is just beautiful lucha libre and feels "pure", because all of the wrestling sequences are so perfectly hit and there isn't any brawling. This is more bombastic than a title match, but this is the title match of bombastic trios matches. Yes, I said I'm tired. But really, as a graceful athletic display that still has some cohesion and build, this is fantastic. For the bulk of the match, everyone is working cleanly, except for Misterioso and Volador, who have a personal issue. They do a good job of making their rivalry stand out, and I even think the screwy finish works in this context.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I thought there was something holding this back from being a great match. The first fall has a few good sequences but is mostly throwaway, and ends way too quickly. This gets much better in the second fall, as the individual match-ups that this story is built around start to flesh out: Solar and Azteca working the mat like kings, Winners and Calo doing mirror spots, and Misterioso doing a sort-of turn (that WTBBP question comes up again!) in trying to get one up on Volador. Misterioso is still awkward, slow, and clumsy, and I'm pretty sure a match between he and Ultimo Dragon is playing on a continuous loop in my own personal Hell. I just don't get it with him. Anyway, the second fall ending is pretty gorgeous stuff and makes up for the perfunctory first fall. Misterioso continues to get dirty in the third fall, and after a great sequence resulting with everyone else out on the floor, he grabs Tirantes to avoid a sunset flip. Pepe Casas seems to take this as a personal affront and fast-counts him on a subsequent pin attempt. Is there any lucha ref who isn't corrupt? I get the story being told but the very beginning and very ending soured me, and those are the two elements of a match that tend to stand out.

• 1 year later...

On paper all six were tecnicos, although Misterioso was in the midst of a heel turn. The main storyline was him and Volador building up to their mask match. Like Pete was saying Misterioso was a crappy worker. Some nice exchanges as well with Azteca and Solar I. Solar is always someone I want to see more of. The brothers were solid enough. Winners has improved a lot this year as I hated him in 93. Nothing exceptional, just a nice trios.

• GSR changed the title to [1994-03-19-AAA] Angel Azteca & Volador & Winners vs Misterioso & Solar I & Super Calo