Pro Wrestling Only

[1994-07-23-NWA] Sabu vs Al Snow (Ladder)

Loss

• 2 months later...

Thanks to Shawn/Razor, now ladder matches are the hot gimmick match on the indy scene. Sabu had one with Candido a month prior to this that I wanted to also include, but couldn't find anyone who had it. This ladder is pretty ridiculously tall for the venue they are working.

I'm so over ladder matches at this point. I liked the Candido/Smothers one more than the others just because it was more about the psychology. I like Shawn/Razor II because of all the work focused on destroying Shawn's knee. But this, while it has its moments, is exactly why I have trouble getting into them at this point. Slow climbing and the same spots used in almost all of them.

I guess all the fans sacrificing their chairs made this one unique. But it felt a little pointless after a while.

They seems to be wrestling in a hockey rink with no ice down. Of course they use the boards to irish whip each other into. Sabu tries to drop the ladder on Snow but it is so big it just lands on the top rope and then the midde rope. Ladder is just too big for the ring. Couldn’t even see what they were climbing up to grab.

Weakest of the ladder matches so far. Just felt like a random brawl with a ladder involved. The climbing was really slow and the large ladder made some of the spots more difficult. Sabu was trying some stuff but overall this match didn’t do it for me.

• 2 weeks later...

This was okay. I just never got as interested as I needed to be to really like this match. There were some good average ladders spots and Sabu's crash threw the table was particularly nasty. They brought in a ton of chairs from the crowd that were barely used. I think this could have been better but it ended up being the average ladder match.

Interesting setting for this match with a hockey rink but the middle of summer with kids walking around with towels and swimsuits on. This match started off fine but then kept going and got progressively worse. Lots of slow climbing and an anticlimactic ending. Sabu moonsaulting twice at the end through a table and looking like he could himself only to have a couple of people chant Sabu was really sad. He had to raise the belt over his head to get an reaction.

• 1 year later...

They set out to do a stunt show, and a lot of the stunts looked pretty damn good. So in a pure execution sense, they succeeded. Psychology, selling, sensible transitions...yeah, there's none of that here. So for pure emotional fulfillment this fell short of the two earlier ladder matches this year. This was a good bit of exposure for Snow and I can see why this was a tape-trading hit at the time. But as an actual match I'm not sure it holds up even as well as the TLC stuntfests. Also way too long.

• GSR changed the title to [1994-07-23-NWA] Sabu vs Al Snow (Ladder)