Pro Wrestling Only

[1994-08-06-AAA-Night of Champions] Espectrito vs Mascarita Sagrada (Mask vs Mask)

Loss

• 2 months later...

Mask vs mask. This was lots of fun, but not really as a match. I was hoping for a sequel that was almost as good as the original. That definitely wasn't the case, as the seconds (Santo and Parka) were way too involved. The skeleton of a great match was still there underneath it all, but there was a lot in the way. Heated like crazy and there is some awesome wrestling here, but there's too much booking and clusterfuckery. One referee takes a beating and juice. The other referee is a rudo all the way and tries to steal the match for Espectrito, but to no avail, as Espectrito loses his mask! I can't help but be entertained by all of this. It's good stuff.

The outside involvement was too much in this match. Referees were definitely more involved too then necessary. This finish was confusing me as there was a heel ref but he still called a decision for Sagrada. But it's mask versus mask so it does have a special feeling to it.

• 2 weeks later...

I was hoping for another classic. I didn't get that although there was still really good exchanges in this. The third fall was a wild clusterfuck with refs getting their ass kicked and reversed decisions. I guess I'm a cynic but I was more annoyed about this than entertained. Tirantes was amusing though.

• 2 weeks later...

An overbooked mess which is a shame because the actual work is at a high level. This in many ways reminded me of the Panther/Felino mascara match froom last year that was the same way. Seconds and referees had way to much involvement. Really disappointing given how great their earlier match was.

• 1 year later...

It seemed like the booking of this feud was ass-backwards. Why do you not book an ambiguous clusterfuck of a finish in the regular match and *then* run your classico, one-on-one bout for the mask vs. mask blowoff? A lot of La Parka's interference spots are fun, but there are too many of them. Then we get a late-'90s, Patterson-Russo run to the finish with multiple ref bumps and Tirantes being his heelish but pouty and arrogant self. You can't fault Pena for creativity but the bullshit, while entertaining at times, was piled too high. The post-match celebration is really fun, and Sagrada's win is treated as a huge deal despite its on-the-surface cheapness.

• paul sosnowski changed the title to [1994-08-06-AAA-Night of Champions] Espectrito vs Mascarita Sagrada (Mask vs Mask)