Pro Wrestling Only

[1990-05-13-5-Star Wrestling] Mother's Day: Sam Houston and Rockin' Robin

Loss

• 1 month later...

Welcome to 5-Star Wrestling, an indy based out of Louisiana. It's Mother's Day, so Sam Houston and Rockin' Robin are with their mother. There's nothing *wrong* with this segment necessarily, but knowing some of the family troubles, it's slightly creepy, and it's an interesting clip.

5-Star is billing Rockin' Robin as their women's world champ, but her mom talks about being there when she won it in Paris, which was a WWF show. Were they trying to keep continuity with the WWF women's title?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Grizzly is a real creep, but mama doesn't seem so bad. This is a nice segment, it's just too bad that their dad exists.

Notice that they didn't claim Rockin Robin as the 5-Star Wrestling women's champion, just the World Women's Champion, which is technically correct, as she never lost the WWF Women's title.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Griz does get a brief mention here, as Robin says that he never whipped the kids; it was always his wife. That's not the way brother Jake tells it, I don't think.

Speaking of whom, I was waiting for them to mention that there's one other child in the family, but I don't think everyone was on the best of terms here, though I have trouble sorting out precisely who Jake was/still is mad at. I don't think there's a problem between him and Robin; he mentioned that he protected her from beatings when she was little. But I can't recall him talking about Sam even in passing during any of his interviews. Of course, Sam is nobody's winner in the sainthood sweepstakes either.

At any rate, this segment's about as fluffy and feel-good as you expect, with lots of touches and kisses between everybody. If this family was as dysfunctional as Jake says they were, they hid it expertly here. I liked the joke about Robin not putting her belt on the line against Sam; it's the type of joking you'd expect between normal brothers and sisters (though, granted, this family's hardly normal).

I'm glad someone found this, and I wish the big promotions had paid more attention to stuff like Mother's Day.

• 1 year later...

I’m liking the sheer variety of promotions that are making an appearance on the Yearbook and this is one I haven’t heard of. On 5-Star today they have a special interview with the Women’s World Champion, Rockin’ Robin, one of the crowd favourites in 5-Star, Sam Houston and their mother Marcia (it’s Mother’s Day weekend!). Houston and Robin talk about what an inspiration she is and how she’s always supported them and encouraged them through everything.

Nothing you’d go out of your way to watch again here, just something different from a promotion you won’t know. Although not outright calling her the WWF Women’s champion, they certainly seem to be implying that, with Marcia talking about seeing Robin win the World title in Paris, France. To be fair, I suppose she is, even if they have stopped recognising/promoting/booking that title.

• GSR changed the title to [1990-05-13-5-Star Wrestling] Mother's Day: Sam Houston and Rockin' Robin