Pro Wrestling Only

[1990-07-21-NWA-World Championship Wrestling] Nick Patrick announcement / Interview: Sting

Loss

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I don't know how a thirty-second interview in which he says he hasn't changed paints Sting as something other than the top guy in the company or means that he's "running in place". Sure, we all know how things turned out, but taking that interview by itself and projecting WCW's future blunders onto it isn't fair.

I'm guessing that Hansen's suspension sets up his return to Japan, as I'm pretty sure that there's a match between him and Misawa at the end of the month that made the set.

• 1 year later...

Good but frustrating promo from Sting. I've always wondered how much of it was booking and how much of it was his own kind of tone deafness or misreading his position and how to convey it or what that leads to Sting very rarely feeling like The Man. It's a combination of both obviously, but I'm just not sure which is the larger part.

• 8 months later...

Wrestling Wrap Up with Jim Ross, and he announces that due to his actions at the end of the match he had with Tommy Rich where he physically assaulted referee Randy Anderson, Stan Hansen has been suspended.

We get the closing moments of that match where Hansen is disqualified for throwing Rich over the top rope. He then nails Anderson with a clothesline after the match and kicks him in the head, before clobbering Rich in the head with his cowbell. Nick Patrick is with Jim Ross and says that a lot of things happen between wrestlers, but whenever a wrestler touches a referee he’s gone too far, and as of now Stan Hansen is suspended for 30 days and has been fined $5,000. Hansen comes to join them and he’s not happy. He’s about to punch Patrick when he tells him that if he puts his hands on him he’ll double the fine and suspend him for a year. Hansen all angry starts smashing his cowbell on the floor and says that nobody suspends him!

It is Jim Ross’s privilege and pleasure to introduce the new World Heavyweight champion, Sting. He says that all of a sudden newspapers, radio stations, TV are wanting to speak to him all of the time. It’s a bit of a strange feeling, but in his own eyes he’s still the Stinger and is still a regular guy. He is still going to go out there and howl and Hi Five all the little Stingers, he hasn’t changed one bit!

• GSR changed the title to [1990-07-21-NWA-World Championship Wrestling] Nick Patrick announcement / Interview: Sting