Pro Wrestling Only

• 3 months later...

Every heel in the promotion (Jeff Gaylord turned again?) is out to celebrate Eddie Gilbert winning the Southern title from Jeff Jarrett on Monday night. I can't stop laughing at Jeff Gaylord being such an idiot in the background. Tojo declares Eddie Gilbert the real new king and they even present him with a crown. Eddie Marlin is furious to see all of this. This is a wrasslin' show, damnit! Eddie Gilbert runs through the Top 10 in the territory. Ricky Steamboat and Terry Gordy are on there, which is some impressive carny bullshit, considering that they don't even work there.

Brickhouse Brown jumps Dirty White Boy during all of this and gets in some good shots, but ultimately gets smacked with a chair.

In a funny note, there was something in the WON at the time that Steamboat hadn't been asked and wouldn't say yes, even if he was. They were just sort of pretending he was working in the territory.

• 2 weeks later...

The whole heel locker room is out with streamers, noisemakers, and a cake for the man that Tojo Yamamoto claims to be the Real New King of Wrestling, Eddie Gilbert! Gilbert rattles off an absurd top 10 that includes Terry Gordy, Ricky Steamboat, Bam Bam Bigelow, and most of the bigger names in the Unified title tournament. The idea of Steamboat working Memphis at any point much less now is giggle-worthy. Jeff Gaylord awkwardly poses in the background during all this. There have been so many stories about Gaylord that I didn't think he could possibly live up to them once I got a chance to see him, but he has surpassed those expectations with flying colors. While all this is going on, Gilbert loses a match by countout to Chris Champion. Eddie Marlin breaks things up.

The Dirty White Boy walks back to explain his side of a story wherein he gave some lady a piledriver. Brickhouse Brown levels him and takes him down, but gets hit from behind with a chair by Doug Gilbert.

Pretty deep locker room. Gaylord is indeed the highlight of the background eating a whole cake by himself and mugging. Eddie does a great celebration party and Marlin is outraged. I also enjoyed the names they dropped in as contenders. Beatdown of Brickhouse was well done and set things up for later on in the show. Super fun segment all around.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Wouldnt deliberately being counted out result in a title change under these "technical loss" bullshit rules? I dont know, either. Its not important.

Gaylord, being a vain, ignorant jock, cant resist posing whenever he sees himself on camera.

This would be the first appearance, kind of, of Brian Christopher in a yearbook. He, along with Tony Williams, are the guys under the mask. They were the Twighlight Zone: Nebula & Quasar. Brian was Nebula because, being an insane homophobe just like dear old dad, thought "Quasar" sounded to much like "Queer".

• 1 year later...

Both Eddies were brilliant here. I loved how the entire heel locker room came out to support Gilbert, and only he could make totally ignoring a match against a name wrestler (at least by Memphis standards) like Chris Champion seem like no big deal at all. Of course, Marlin is there as always to demand that they get back to wrasslin'. but without Lawler or Dundee to act as physical backup, he's thoroughly ignored. Then we get a top ten list that's 10% reality and 90% wishful thinking. Steamboat and Doc in Memphis? Not at this late date, although they might have convinced Doc to do a one-shot on his way either to or from Japan. To top it off, Brickhouse Brown gets jumped and waylaid by the Dirty White Boys, which puts his and Danny Davis' title shot later in the program in jeopardy. And Dave didn't think they'd get anything accomplished!

I didn't notice Gaylord's antics, but I got a kick out of Tojo being the one to crown Eddie, since Eddie may be the only heel in Memphis at this time who's more obnoxious than he is. Also, if people like Dave and Eddie Marlin are so insulted about Gilbert crowning himself the new king, why not invite the "old" King out to do something about it? It's not like Lawler isn't looking to hospitalize Gilbert anyway.

I've given up on the technical loss stuff. Like most rules in wrestling, it's there to be enforced when the promoter has a reason to and to be ignored when he doesn't.

We may not have a lot of full matches from Memphis, but no other promotion understands the art of the angle better at this time.

• GSR changed the title to [1990-11-03-USWA-Memphis TV] Eddie Gilbert celebration