Pro Wrestling Only

[1990-11-17-USWA-Memphis TV] Interview: Eddie Gilbert

Loss

• 3 months later...

Gilbert is on a roll. I got tired of him for a while because of the Brody-like mystique surrounding him, but he was a talented guy, and this is the peak of his career. He brings out Black Magic, a masked steroid guy that he promises will take care of Dundee, Jarrett and Lawler, in that order.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Another wonderful promo from Eddie. I like how he had Doug give Dave the Memphis Mafia T-shirt, then left it for him when he politely refused to wear it. I also appreciated the rundown of just some of the men who tried to put Lawler out of action and failed. He honestly believes that he's ordained by God to take over Lawler's crown and kingdom, and that's what drives him, not the money or prestige for its own sake. Just fabulous stuff.

I think having a masked guy is part of the point: to make it almost impossible for the faces to win the match. It's actually smart strategy by the Gilberts when you think about it, considering how difficult it is to either unmask a masked man or make him bleed through the mask. I wonder who this Black Magic was. Did he go on to have much of a career?

I'm not sure what threatening to put Dave out of wrestling accomplishes other than to put the audience even further on edge. Forget the "never touch the announcers" stuff; I'm not even sure that Dave went to the matches on most Monday nights, since he was presumably doing the late weather at WMC. Maybe someone from the area would like to tell us if Dave had Monday nights off as a rule at this time or whether he was working.

• GSR changed the title to [1990-11-17-USWA-Memphis TV] Interview: Eddie Gilbert