Pro Wrestling Only

[1990-12-08-USWA-Memphis TV] Jerry Lawler vs Eddie Gilbert

Loss

• 3 months later...

Downtown Bruno is great on commentary. Gilbert doesn't want to do this match, but is sort of forced into it. This is given lots of time and even goes through a commercial break, but is more a great segment than a great match. There is a lot of stalling and rolling out of the ring between moves, but it's well done. This is a HOT studio crowd, and the match had lots of crowd-pleasing spots. Steve Keirn eventually comes to the ring and sides with the babyfaces to help clear Gilbert's stooges out. The crowd is very happy to see him back. Great stuff.

• 3 weeks later...

Downtown Bruno brings a different edge to commentary than you are used to in Memphis and is very good. The match is a lot of stalling but is fun while it lasts and they actually go to a break and come back which is I think the first time that has happened on the set. Kierns return the territory was met as a big deal and he did a great run in.

This is supposed to be a Southern title match but Gilbert refuses to put the title up on free TV. There's a $10-to-$50,000 bounty on Jerry Lawler's head from a mysterious source, depending on how much damage is done to him. Bruno has some pretty good lines on commentary--Dave Brown suspects that the man behind the bounty is on screen now and Bruno chastises him for suggesting that Jerry Calhoun would be the man. Lots and LOTS of stalling here but it's well-done and the crowd is way into it. Some great hide-the-chain work from Eddie until Lawler blocks a shot, uses the chain himself, and is about to get a win when the Memphis Mafia rather predictably hits the ring. STEVE KEIRN is quickly out to make the save, with a chair with "THE FABS" painted on it. The plot thickens.

Getting TV time for a match though Gilbert uses most of it for stalling early. Eddie uses the chain but Lawler gets his hands on it eventually. Steve Keirn saves Lawler at the end with a chair with “The Fabs” painted on it. Crowd popped for him hitting the ring. New face to join Lawler's side of the feud.

• 2 years later...

If there was ever such a thing as effective bullshit, this match qualifies. Several storylines are advanced without much physical activity: the bounty on Lawler, the Lawler/Gilbert feud, the return of the Fabs (actually, I believe that this was Keirn's first appearance, with Stan and Corny still to come), and Eddie's desire to be the new King of Memphis.

When Eddie refused to put the Southern title up on free TV, it was clear we wouldn't get much wrestling action, and we didn't. The best spots were Lawler ramming Eddie's head into Sam Lowe's chair and the chain work from Eddie, which he does better than Lawler, mostly because he actually wrestles in between chain shots. I thought the ref bump spot with Calhoun came way too early, but they managed to make it work. The finish was predictable, as Pete said, but it was a great way to introduce Keirn into the situation, much more effective than just having him wrestle a match and cut a promo on the Memphis Mafia afterward.

Bruno annoyed me on commentary. There was too much "see no evil" for my taste, and the whole idea of him putting Lawler out of wrestling all by himself is too farfetched even to be a good joke. He had a few good lines, though; his best was when he suggested that Dave could collect the bounty on Lawler by hitting him from behind with his (Dave's) microphone. Actually, I would have liked to see Dave get physically involved once in a great while like Lance was, at least as far as getting stuff dumped on him (remember Jimmy Hart covering Lance with flour?) and other non-strikes. I'm pretty sure the main reason they stayed away from that was to protect Dave's integrity as a meteorologist.

What was the "bug" in the lower right hand corner of the screen? I couldn't make it out, but the last part looked like a "30", as in Channel 30. Were WMC angles shown often on the syndicated Memphis shows? If this was a Channel 30, what market would it have been in?

• 2 years later...
  • GSR changed the title to [1990-12-08-USWA-Memphis TV] Jerry Lawler vs Eddie Gilbert