Pro Wrestling Only

[1991-03-02-USWA-Memphis TV] Jerry Lawler & Eddie Gilbert vs Eric Embry & Tom Pritchard / Team Texas and Jeff Jarrett

Loss

• 1 month later...

The finish of what looks to be a great match from Mid South Coliseum. Cool spot, as there's a ref bump and they both reach for their chains. But Gilbert gets the first punch. He pins Embry, but there's no ref there to count yet. Embry ends up hitting Gilbert with what is billed as a "metal pipe" but looks more like a candle lighter, giving Embry and Pritchard the win.

Back in the studio, Jarrett is out for a squash. Tom Pritchard attacks his opponent and Jarrett and Pritchard have a hot impromptu brawl before Embry runs in. They beat on Jarrett until he bleeds until finally, Lawler clears the ring with a chair. Gilbert is out to provide back-up and the heels bail. Good stuff.

• 1 month later...

Gilbert as the babyface-with-an-edge is great. He almost gets the pin by countering Embry's chain with brass knucks of his own, but with Frank Morrell bumped, Tojo slips Embry...something. I thought it was a screwdriver or a grill lighter, but whatever it is puts Gilbert down for the 3.

Embry & Prichard are incensed that they're not in a round-robin tournament to get a title shot at the Unified World title, so they take their frustrations out on Jeff Jarrett. Jarrett declares the Unified World title is meaningless as long as Embry and Prichard are around, and pulls himself out of the tournament in order to get a tag match with Embry & Prichard. Neither Lawler nor Gilbert are willing to give up the tournament to be Jarrett's partner. Tension is still high between Gilbert and the babyfaces.

• 3 weeks later...

Both Gilbert and Embry reach into their tights at the same time for a weapon. Gilbert is a bit faster with the brass knuckles. Lead pipe gets the job for Embry.

Talk about a round robin tournament to determine number one contender for World Title. Jarrett has a match scheduled but he gets attacked by Embry/Prichard.

• 1 month later...

I really want to see the MSC match because the action was really heated that we saw. Finish was really clever I thought.

Jarrett is about to make short work in the studio before Dr. Tom interjects himself and they have a nice brawl in the ring. Embry comes in and the beatdown ensues. Jarrett blades and Lawler has to make the save. Still loving the Texas vs. Tennessee stuff.

• 1 year later...

Just another wild night at the MSC. I actually liked that Eddie had to eat the pin here; it shows that just because he's on the "right" side of this particular fight doesn't mean that his own tactics can't be used against him effectively. The clips we saw were absolutely wild, but what else do you expect when the honor of two states full of prideful hotheads is on the line? (No offense to any Texans or Tennesseeans on the board.)

As for the studio brawl, it again took too long for Lawler to make the save. You'd think that he, Jeff, and Eddie would be ready for stuff like this with Embry and Prichard in the building. I like Embry and Prichard declaring that they should be in the Southern title tournament, and that they went after the Tenneseean whom they most likely see as the weak link. Jeff's not as experienced as Lawler or as dastardly as Eddie, so they had to think he was an easy touch. I have a feeling that they'll be proven wrong soon enough!

• GSR changed the title to [1991-03-02-USWA-Memphis TV] Jerry Lawler & Eddie Gilbert vs Eric Embry & Tom Pritchard / Team Texas and Jeff Jarrett