Pro Wrestling Only

[1991-03-02-WCW-Saturday Night] Sting, El Gigante, Ric Flair and Barry Windham

Loss

• 1 month later...

Sting and El Gigante are having a match against Magnum Force. Ric Flair and Barry Windham are out and scream by Jim Ross about what they're going to do to these two. A brawl breaks out with Flair taking some bumps in his suit, which is always awesome, and Gigante counts Sting down for a three count. This is all to hype a Flair/Sting cage match at the Omni with El Gigante as the special referee. Flair is great here, but all I can think watching this after the Nikita segment is how obvious it is that Dusty was going back to the well. I don't remember that aspect of this booking run at all, but it's been pretty predominant.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Sting and El Gigante teaming up. Flair joins the commentators for some thoughts. Flair wants to know what Gigante wants. He wants the belt! Sting wants the belt too. Sting does a visual three count on Flair with Gigante counting it since he will be the special guest referee in upcoming match. That is the fastest I’ve seen Gigante ever move.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Considering the quagmire that Ole dragged WCW into during 1990, going back to the future with Dusty was the best thing that could have happened. He's picking out the stuff that worked, like we see here. An impromptu brawl that results in a champion being unofficially pinned is a great way to hype a title match without putting too much of a black mark on a champion's record, and I was glad to see it here, especially with Flair in a suit.

I guess Barry's main purpose here was to be dwarfed by Gigante, and he did that job very well indeed.

I loved how Flair fed Gigante his line directly. They could have made a ton of money with Gigante "I WANT DA BELT!" T-shirts.

We sometimes forget that TBS was still a local Atlanta station in addition to being a national superstation. If it's true that they had no syndication in Atlanta, then promoting Omni shows on their only Atlanta outlet was absolutely necessary. The national audience either had to like it or lump it. Besides, it was kind of neat to hear about out-of-town house shows; hearing the rundown of an MSG, Meadowlands, or Nassau Coliseum card was one of the perks of getting the WWF on WWOR during the mid-eighties, and WWOR was just as much of a national superstation as TBS was.

I guess the Danger Zone segment with Sid didn't make the cut at the last second. Would anyone care to tell us why?

• GSR changed the title to [1991-03-02-WCW-Saturday Night] Sting, El Gigante, Ric Flair and Barry Windham