Pro Wrestling Only

[1991-03-09-WWF-Superstars] Interview: Sgt Slaughter

Loss

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

They should have burned either the poster or the shirt, not both. This was overkill. And Vince was too busy hyping Mania to sell outrage, which takes a lot of the sting out of it. It's almost like he (the character) was beyond being angered by Slaughter and was just accepting what happened as an everyday occurrence not worth comment. Mean Gene was much better here, even walking out on the interview rather than seeing his friend's shirt burned. The crowd was hot, but who knows how much of that might have been artificial?

I thought we were getting away from the weapons analogies, but Sarge sure brought them by the bushel. I do admit to being amused by the "I'm one tough mother Scud" line, but one clever line does not a good promo make. He'd just done too many of the same type of interviews for them to matter much anymore.

Adnan is useless as usual. Once and for all, Vince, no one's going to mistake him for the real Saddam Hussein, so let this man speak English!

I thought we'd have seen Sheik by now, but I guess he didn't appear till after Mania. Given what little I remember about his run, I'm sure that was a good thing, because he was terrible in the ring and (like Adnan) nothing on the mic. The latter isn't his fault, though; he couldn't do his usual interview schtick without being exposed as Sheik, which Vince didn't want.

• GSR changed the title to [1991-03-09-WWF-Superstars] Interview: Sgt Slaughter