Pro Wrestling Only

[1991-03-09-USWA-Memphis TV] Interview: Jerry Lawler

Loss

• 1 month later...

They are doing the big hype job for Lawler finally getting the title shot against Terry Funk. Lawler announces that win, lose or draw, he's planning on taking some much-needed time off after the match. That makes no sense, because if he's champion, he has to stick around and defend the title. Still, this was a great way to make Monday night's match feel special.

• 1 month later...

They're almost hedging their bets here with regard to Lawler's future. I don't think they were seriously thinking of a post-Lawler future, but the vibe is there, even if only to sell tickets this week.

This would be the last week of wrestling at the Mid-South Coliseum until August, due to a dispute with arena management. I don't know if that played into this or not, but it makes it harder to verify if Lawler actually took time off or not.

• 3 weeks later...

Jerry talks about issues with getting Funk back in area to defend his title. Lawler talks about refusing to partner with Jarrett and explains he is at point of career where Jerry may not get that much title shots so had to take it. Jerry is a bit beat up from injuries and is looking to take some time off after upcoming match. Did have the feel as a push to get more tickets bought.

• 1 month later...

Lawler is dressed up for the occasion and the final hype job is in place. This was a great low key promo I thought that got over the magnitude of the match with Funk. Even though we havent seen Funk defending the belt a whole lot, this is the most they have put into building the title between 1990 and 1991 and we seem long past the days of Cobra holding the title at this point.

• 1 year later...

If it was anyone but Funk as champion, I'd say they were telegraphing the result here, but Terry's been such an absentee champion that they need to get the belt back on a regular. Lawler did mention a few other prior commitments and mandatory title defenses should he win, so we know this isn't really it for good, but I'm wondering if Jarrett wanted him to step back for a bit and see if Jeff, Austin, and a few others could at least help to carry the ball.

I liked the low-key nature of this interview. It really helped to sell the match as something more than just an average Monday night card the likes of which has been seen a thousand times. There wasn't an insult or funny line from Lawler at any point, even to those who would normally deserve it, like Funk or Gilbert. Nice touch.

What alternative venue did they hold Memphis house shows in during the MSC dispute? I find it hard to believe that all Memphis fans got was TV; there simply isn't time within any TV broadcast to have the type of matches that truly advance storylines, at least not very often.

• GSR changed the title to [1991-03-09-USWA-Memphis TV] Interview: Jerry Lawler