Pro Wrestling Only

ECW or WWECW

Matt D

Yea i agree. To say a show was better than a promotion that revolutionized wrestling and helped turn WWE into the most profitable wrestling promotion in the US is a little far fetched. ECW had a lot of faults but it was also very ground breaking. To reach national exposure from where they started says a whole lot as to how popular ECW became. WWECW had good wrestling on it from time to time but also had very shitty wrestling. A better comparison would be WCW Worldwide to WWECW or something of that nature. I remember a lot of people shitting on WWECW at the time and now everyone loves it, gotta love the internet.

I read this to mean that you believe ECW was a promotion that helped turn WWE into the most profitable wrestling promotion in the US. I find that beyond the realms of logic, reason, truth or fact. If I'm mistaken, my bad.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So are you talking quality or drawing wise? Honest question. I know little about lucha so I can't comment on north America buy I can see where you're coming from if you're using drawing numbers as your argument. I may have taken the question the wrong way but to me its apples and oranges. I also think a lot of the negative stigma was the ecw name being attached to it in the first place. You kind of dig a hole from the beginning calling it that.

When I think "top promotion" I think promotion that was on top. Not promotion that did things I like. I LOVED IWRG for a couple of years (and it's still pretty good when it turns up), but in no way could it reasonably be called a "top promotion"

Is it hyperbolic to say WWE ECW in 2009 was one of the most consistent shows at producing good matches, possibly ever? Maybe it helps that I'm not a guy who typically watches full shows, but I find myself wanting to with ECW that year. I spent time a couple months back watching every match Christian had that year (though I'm not done yet) and it's kind of staggering how good his matches week after week were. Throw in Finlay, Bourne, Henry, Goldust, Regal and other dudes who weren't always wrestling Christian and there are a great fuckton of good matches during that time.

I honestly don't think it is hyperbolic, but I think your jump point is late - it started in 08. I'm not up on 08 Lucha, but I would actually go so far as to say that Chavo, Evan Bourne, Matt Hardy, Finlay and Mark Henry would all be in my top ten from 08 and they were all ECW guys. Actually Miz/Morrison had some really good stuff on ECW that year too IIRC. It was EASILY the best WWE show that year in terms of match quality. In fact it's possible it was even better than 09 in terms of depth, though I'm not sure the highpoints were as high (Christian v. Swagger, Christian v. Regal)

I wasn't actively watching wrestling during WWECW's 2008-09 heyday, so can you guys tell me the matches from that period most worth checking out? And if you could, please don't give me some massive OJ-style list of like a hundred matches. Ten at the most will do.

This is the most unintentionally funny post ever on this forum. Literally laughing out loud.

I loved WWECW. That was such a great show. Christian, Regal, Punk, Henry, Hardy, Goldust, Tatsu, Jackson, etc. I wonder where the Jackson title run would have gone if it wasn't dropped. Zeke was awesome during that period and I was really into him and his matches with Christian and Goldust. He was never the same afterwards. I wish they did another completely self contained brand.

You are always looking to trim down lists. In this case it was retroactive. In the case of your desert island lists you have been chipping away at it for months for reasons I don't really understand.

To give you one highly touted match Christian v. Jack Swagger from Feb. 24th is a match that was universally praised at the time.

I bet a WWECW comp could be made..

I think I am going to attempt this.

A part of me thinks the smart road to take would be to tie it in with Superstars.

Yes they are different shows and different things are going on with both in terms of over all presentation. But the key is that both shows were the "wrestling" shows where the undercard talent were given time to shine against each other (and occasionally against upper card talent).

A part of me thinks the smart road to take would be to tie it in with Superstars.

Yes they are different shows and different things are going on with both in terms of over all presentation. But the key is that both shows were the "wrestling" shows where the undercard talent were given time to shine against each other (and occasionally against upper card talent).

In that case could also mix in FCW/NXT and make it a essentially mid-major comp.

Honestly, I think you could do two different comps.

There's enough stuff there.