Pro Wrestling Only

[1991-07-13-WCW-Saturday Night] Lex Luger vs Barry Windham hype

Loss

• 3 months later...

An extended feature hyping the main event. Luger and Windham do have some history they could have played off of, and it's weird that they wouldn't play on it at all. I realize that it wouldn't make too much of a difference considering how fucked over they were, but it would have been nice.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...

This wasn't bad for what they were forced into. I'm not too concerned about them not bringing up the history between Luger and Windham, since it didn't really play into this particular bout at this particular time. A mention of Luger beating Windham for his first U.S. title would have been nice, but their being former partners didn't matter much, since this wasn't portrayed as a grudge match.

The more I see of this, the more I think they should have just retroactively declared the Clash match a title bout and simply given Luger the title. The traditionalists would have howled their heads off, but what good does beating Windham do in terms of establishing Luger as world championship material? For that matter, you could ask the question in reverse as well. At least Muta was getting a push in New Japan. They still could have had the Windham match at the Bash as Luger's first pay-per-view title defense.

• 2 years later...
  • GSR changed the title to [1991-07-13-WCW-Saturday Night] Lex Luger vs Barry Windham hype