Pro Wrestling Only

[1991-09-15-CWA] Dave Finlay vs Dave Taylor

Loss

• 3 months later...

Finlay with another terrific performance, and this time, the camerawork is better, so the stiffness stands out more than it did in the Benoit match. Taylor looks really good, and the match follows the same template. I think this one may have been better. I really enjoyed watching Finlay lay in his shots, along with all the crowd-taunting they did. Taylor gorilla press slams Finlay onto his knee at point in an awesome spot. I know it's the style, but I struggle sometimes with rounds because it halts momentum, so that was the only real drawback here for me.

• 1 month later...

I don't mind the rounds system but it seems Finlay and Taylor were almost consciously trying to time their highspots right at the end of every round, so the action breaks stood out more and not for the better. Taylor wasn't as active as Benoit was but did have a number of big-man spots, and with a crowd this electric you can hardly blame these guys for milking that for all its worth. This goes to a draw that has you wanting to see more, but hopefully a little tightened up.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

Decent stuff but another match of Finlays early days where I seemingly admired the craft of the work than the match overall as a whole. I don't know if it is the rounds system of the quirkiness. I also looked over my MOTY list as we head into the home stretch and realized that while 1991 may not have the top end matches of some other years (1997 cough) , it is a well rounded year with tons of matches I have in the *** - ***1/2 range.

• 1 year later...

Not a fan of this one. First, the wrestlers only seemed to go for serious pins at the end of each round. Second, the ref was constantly out of position and counted slowly once he got into position, which means that either he was one of the most incompetent refs ever or knew the finish was a draw and decided not to bother counting false finishes. There was also at least one other instance of a perfectly legal move (I want to say it was a Taylor powerslam, but I could be wrong) that wasn't counted for some obscure reason that only Otto Wanz knows for sure.

Beyond all of that, though, there was too much stopping and starting within roundsl. It seemed like they tied up in a test of strength/Greco-Roman knucklelock every thirty seconds whether they needed to or not, thus grinding the action to a halt. I realize that the round system and the different ways the rules are enforced make for a special kind of match pace, but these guys were European veterans and should have known how to keep matches exciting within the framework provided, which they didn't here.

These bouts are nice curiosities, especially when they feature prominent North American workers. As it stands now, though, I honestly don't know if I could sit through a whole disc or a whole set of them.

• 2 years later...

Taylor looks really Davey Boy Smith-ish in this. I thought they were going for Taylor having Finlay's number a couple of times only to have the bell get in the way. Later on though the ref seemed REALLY anti-Taylor for reasons that escape me. The crowd was great though. Constantly annoying Finlay by chanting Tay-lor and singing a couple of songs for the wrestlers as well. Finlay really does lay in his stuff, but too many times going back to the nerve hold irritated me. We did get some hand stomping, so that was good. :)

• GSR changed the title to [1991-09-15-CWA] Dave Finlay vs Dave Taylor