Pro Wrestling Only

[1991-11-02-USWA-Memphis TV] Interview: Jerry Lawler

Loss

• 4 months later...

Lawler wears the ugliest sweater you will ever see in your life. He wore it in a 1995 interview too and I took a picture at the time because I couldn't believe how hideous it was, and now it's even more amazing that he kept and wore the shirt for at least four years! Jeff Gaylord is back in the territory. Oh joy. Lawler threatens Billy Joe Travis not to get involved in his match with Gaylord, telling him he will throw a fireball at him if he dares interfere.

• 5 weeks later...

Oh my God, Lawler is wearing an 8-bit pixelated tribute to one of the worst hockey uniforms ever, that of the 1980's Vancouver Canucks. Travis' help was some big musclebound idiot last week who goes unnamed--prowrestlinghistory identifies him as "The Big O," definitely one of the most successful pro wrestling gimmicks ever lifted from a Shel Silverstein picture book. Travis' second kick at the can comes in the form of, oh yes, Jeff Gaylord. Jerry goes off on another rant about his opponent's lack of intelligence and brings back his dinosaur analogy, which is normally counterproductive but with Gaylord involved it's hard to argue with. Thank God we kicked the Lawler/Embry title match to the curb in favor of this.

I totally made reference to Nintendo and Vancouver Canucks in my notes and I see Pete has already beat me to it. I'm sure Jerry has won a couple ugliest sweater contests with this bad boy. Jerry thinks Jeff Gaylord is stupid. He even resurrects his 1990 dinosaur references.

• 11 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Welcome to The Jerry Lawler Fish in A Barrel Hour. I don't think this match was made to have a match; I think it was made to give Lawler good material for Saturday morning. You can say that about Travis too, truthfully. The problem is, if Embry won't lay down for Lawler, as apparently he won't, what else can you do? Papa's trying to make the best out of a bad situation by spinning Embry off into a feud with Prichard and giving Lawler some stiffs he can beat and insult with relative ease while waiting for the next big thing to come along. As plans go, it's not the worst ever conceived in wrestling history.

Who's the character standing in the wings whom Lawler "doesn't have a problem with........yet"? He looks big and imposing, but I can't place him. I wonder who he wants to see later in the program.

• 2 years later...

This is all we get from a week of Memphis? Lawler is hyping a match with...oh yeah Jeff Gaylord. If Gaylord really wanted to beat Lawler he'd challenge him to a pushup contest or something. Otherwise he'd know better despite being a complete musclehead. This must have been one Hell of a waste of a Saturday morning.

• GSR changed the title to [1991-11-02-USWA-Memphis TV] Interview: Jerry Lawler