Pro Wrestling Only

[1991-11-09-USWA-Memphis TV] Interview: Jerry Lawler

Loss

• 4 months later...

Lawler does the best interview he's done in a little while, talking about how he used art to get into wrestling. He also talks about his friendship with Jeff Jarrett, as Jarrett has challenged him to a title match, which sounds like an interesting match. Then, he turns his attention to Travis and Gaylord. Not a fan of that feud, but this is a strong interview.

• 1 month later...

Lawler is now wearing his San Jose Sharks sweater. Can't wait until he busts out that Whalers sweater. Lawler talks about the knowledge he has relayed to Jarrett. Jerry gives us some history about how much his drawing has done for him as far as getting a chance in wrestling. Lawler is bigger than Elvis and the Beatles in Memphis.

Good interview from Lawler making some sense out of a few disparate angles, none of which are all that heated on their own. First they tease a Unified title encounter between Lawler and Jarrett, which sounds promising. Then Lawler talks about his art skills and ties it into Billy Joe Travis' "Super Team," consisting of Jeff Gaylord and "this other goof." They'll be facing Lawler & Dundee Monday night. More community bulletin board material closes things out.

• 11 months later...

I really enjoyed this interview to set up a face vs. face match vs. Jarrett that I would love to see around this time. The parallel of art leading him to wrestling is even better. Inspiring stuff at this point in the year after the lackluster BJT feud.

• 1 year later...

The title match with Jeff intrigues me more than the match with Travis's "Superteam"/ Who ended up teaming with Gaylord, anyway?

Jeff's wrestled Lawler before for the title, of course, but that was when Lawler was (at least technically) a heel. A respectful babyface match between the two sounds like something worth checking out, if only to see whether the respectful tone can be maintained when the going gets rough.

I wonder if they were planning to see if Jeff could handle a sustained run in top? I ask this because Lawler doesn't talk about how Fargo passed the torch to him all that often, so I'm wondering if there was supposed to be a special significance to him doing it here.

This promo had some neat biographical and historical stuff. I didn't know that Lawler's first appearance on a wrestling show came through his art work, or that he's brought more fan into the MSC than either Elvis or the Beatles (though I don't doubt it's true, considering that he appears there almost every week). Also nice to hear Lance mentioned, which doesn't happen all that often either these days.

• 2 years later...
  • GSR changed the title to [1991-11-09-USWA-Memphis TV] Interview: Jerry Lawler