Pro Wrestling Only

[1991-11-29-CMLL] MS-1 & El Satanico & Pirata Morgan vs Konnan & El Dandy & Rayo de Jalisco Jr

Loss

• 4 months later...

Is there enough talent in this match to overcome Konnan (and Rayo)? Not only is the answer yes, but Konnan is actually pretty good here, mainly because he's surrounded by so many talented wrestlers, and in the case of El Dandy, he walks through quite a few doubleteam spots with Konnan that are perfect for a limited, really over guy. Los Infernales have impressed me in these trios matches enough to make me want to see a comp. And how do Dandy and Satanico show up toward the end of the year after not being around much in '91, and immediately get me more interestd in their feud being reignited than anything going on in wrestling at the time? I'm very excited about the next hair match, even if it isn't as mind-blowingly great as the one the year before. Lucha has been good but unremarkable for the most part in '91, and who knew Los Infernales were the missing ingredient all along?

• 1 month later...

Holy shit, it's rare footage of the Gravedigger! Working in Mexico!

Aw, fuck, it's just Los Infernales coming out to the same music. This is even more disappointing than Dragon Master not being Dustin Rhodes' partner at the Clash.

Dandy has to shoulder the burden for the first two falls, looking as great as he ever did in 1990 and not missing a beat with Satanico. Konnan looks bad and Rayo...I've seen two Rayo matches in my life, the Cien Caras mask match and a match against Steel, and both were really good. This is a chance to finally see why people were so annoyed with him. He shows some fire but Infernales bumping and stooging for his dance moves and phantom punches was just about the height of lameness. However, the rudos and Dandy are so good and the opening brawl so heated that the match holds up into the third fall, when Konnan and Rayo step up their games. Konnan participates in some nice double-teams and even shows some good flying skills, Rayo hits a cool dive, and Dandy and Satanico get a little one-on-one mini-match. Big controversy at the finish as Satanico uppercuts Dandy in the groin and locks in a nudo. One ref wants to call a DQ but the ersatz Gran Davis ref calls a submission. A long quarrel results and it appears the decision is eventually overturned. That can't be the end of things. I mean, it's not like I needed to be sold on another Dandy/Satanico match, but this match did it for even the most ardent skeptic should one exist.

• 11 months later...

I love the INfernales and had a big smile on my face with their domination in the first fall. They really set the pace here with Dandy having to carry the load on his side. The bump Pirata takes off one of Conan's shitty clotheslines is super. THis really wetted my appetite for the hair vs. hair match at the end of this disc and was another 3.5 star match for 1991.

• 1 year later...

This was a lot more action-packed than a lot of trios bouts I've seen, and the teamwork was excellent on both sides, with great double and triple-team spots throughout. Dandy and Satanico were the stars, and their rivalry picked up right where it left off last year. There was too much chaos to accurately analyze most of what went on, but I loved Pirata's flying bump into the steel post during the third fall; it's something I would have expected out of Mick Foley, not a Mexican luchadore.

The DQ finish to the third fall was an excellent way to set up another Dandy/Satanico hair match, and the irony of it probably wasn't lost on the viewers; it was a low blow that Satanico didn't throw which led to him being disqualified in the third fall of the first hair match, which meant that his head was the one shaved. This one, which he did throw, will either directly or indirectly lead to a second hair match almost a year later where it could happen again.

If more trios bouts were like this one, I'd be a whole lot more comfortable with the style. Good work by one and all!

• 2 years later...

The bad: Konnan. I've never seen him look actively good in a wrestling ring. Wait, he did throw a nice dropkick here. That's as much good as I have to say about him. Rayo de Jalisco is about as bad a comedy worker as you'll find. His punches don't look like shit, so why is he doing this fucking gimmick? Maybe he is limited enough that it's all he can do, how do I know?

The good (and better!): Pirata Morgan is a great bumper with some great stooging spots. His backwards crawl out of the ring is really impressive and I liked what the tecnicos did with it in caida 2, very creative. And that ringpost bump he did to himself was really big. Satanico and Dandy fighting again!! LOVED this. The end of caida 2 with Dandy backing Satanico around the ring only for all 3 Infernales to again go to work on Dandy was such a great touch. Loved how the finish played off of the hair match because the ref wasn't going to fall for it again, but the tecnico ref wasn't having it. That bit went on a little long for my tastes, but I suppose it worked.

I'd say it was a really good match with some warts (named Rayo and Konnan) that are mostly ignorable.

• GSR changed the title to [1991-11-29-CMLL] MS-1 & El Satanico & Pirata Morgan vs Konnan & El Dandy & Rayo de Jalisco Jr