Pro Wrestling Only

[1991-12-27-GWF] Lightning Kid vs Jerry Lynn

Loss

• 4 months later...

Still not as good as their '90 series, but a good match all the same. I didn't really care for the stip, because I thought it detracted from some of the drama associated with pinfall and submission attempts. But they worked a pretty good match within that very big limitation.

• 1 month later...

After almost two years of beating each other up, Lynn agrees to get down on knees in amateur wrestling position and Kid promptly kicks him in the ribs. I didn’t like the stips because one of the moves is a submission and the other is an impact move. Then you make it two of out three falls on top of that so you're extending yourself on a match that can only be won by two moves.

We get a Boni Blackstone sighting, and she has a hideous long hairdo that makes her look like a member of Nelson. I don't like the combination of finisher vs. finisher to begin with, much less combined with 2/3 falls. This is still an excellent match and yet another stylistic change, as they do some cool matwork here before dropping the bombs and throwing in some good Southern wrasslin' spots in as well.

• 1 year later...

The setting of Global combined with the finisher stip made me come into this match expecting a disappointment for some reason. i do think the final fall was rushed a bit but this was pretty damn great. The opening matwork was swift and well done with the rope running adding a lot into the overall narrative of the match. Lynn's sleeper was put over really big and worked well into both of the first and third fall finishes. The second fallw as like those in lucha where the tombstone being called the "lighting strike" shows how fast the finish can come.

• 1 year later...

I didn't like this one at all.

First of all, as we've seen in their other matches on this Yearbook, both of these guys have so many other holds and moves they can use to win matches that asking them to wrestle a match such as this is like asking them to wrestle with both hands tied behind their backs and both feet tied to their asses. They each "forgot" the stip at least five times per fall, which led referee James Beard to go around constantly with his hands outstretched in the universal gesture for "What do you want from me?" If they actually did forget the stip and go for pinfalls, shame on them. If the booker told them to constantly go for pins in order to hit the crowd over the head with the idea that they didn't count, double shame on him for taking the crowd for a bunch of redneck peabrains.

More important than that was a huge structural failure. In a match like this, it really makes no sense to go for any hold other than the one you're supposed to win with. Lynn should have been teasing the sleeper about once a minute, and the same goes for Waltman and the tombstone, especially since each of them had to win with their hold twice. In three falls, however, I counted exactly two teases, both by Lynn of the sleeper. I wouldn't have even minded Lynn kicking out of the tombstone at least once just to show that Waltman still had to pin him even after he piledrove him. It's a little tougher to do constant false finishes with the sleeper, but Waltman taking off for the ropes like a kicked dog once he felt it being applied would have sufficed nicely.

To add to the insanity, the third fall only came about due to Waltman being knocked out by a chain shot from Raven, of all people. Outside interference in a match like this? Are you kidding? Maybe if this was a one-fall bout, or if Lynn hadn't put Waltman out with the sleeper twice before in other matches and you wanted to protect him as a challenger, but not after Lynn put him out clean as a sheet for the third time just minutes earlier. The horse isn't only out of the barn at that point, it's galloping down the street at a hundred miles an hour.

Also, a sold boo to ESPN for clipping the second and third falls to what I have to assume was about the halfway mark. We missed one of those sleeper teases I talked about earlier, plus who knows what else that might have changed a lot of opinions on this match. Maybe if we had the whole thing bell to bell and the missing parts showed some decent psychology and struggle for the winning holds, I'd be more impressed with this match. As it is, it's definitely the least of all the Waltman-Lynn matches we have on this Yearbook.

I like Bruce Prichard leaning ever so slightly heel on commentary; he isn't full-on Brother Love by any means (that might have gotten the GWF sued by Vince), but it's a subtle reminder of the most famous on-camera role he'll ever have in the sport. Craig was his usual damn good self, and both broadcasters outdid themselves trying to get the stips over, which wasn't easy when all three of the participants, including the referee, kept either forgetting or ignoring them (Beard made at least one one-count and was down in position for several others before he remembered the rules, and kept making the wrestlers break holds at the ropes although I'm pretty sure this was a no-DQ match because of the stips.)

• 2 years later...

For all the work these guys had to do getting around the ridiculous stips and awful ending, this match really should have sucked. It was actually still really good even in clipped form even if it was not as good as their other matches. Craig and Pritchard did good on commentary, I liked Pritchard a lot as the not quite heel color guy. That's two really cutting edge American matches in a row.

• GSR changed the title to [1991-12-27-GWF] Lightning Kid vs Jerry Lynn