Pro Wrestling Only

[1991-12-29-WWF-Wrestling Challenge] Barber Shop: Jake Roberts

Loss

• 4 months later...

Jake cutting such a dark, serious interview in this phony Barber Shop environment is one of the failings of the WWF. When they try to do a really serious angle, it always seems a little off. But Jake cuts a tremendous interview suggesting that he and Undertaker will work together at the Rumble. Gorilla's disgust toward Jake is really entertaining.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

We say goodbye to the best promo guy of 1991. Gorilla hates jake and makes that known repeatedly. Jake does a great job getting over the Rumble and Savage feuds together. I do find it interesting that the Barber Shop was used for this and the Rockers breakup.

• 1 year later...

Not the best promo Jake's ever cut, but it's more than enough for this setting. Not only does he set up the Rumble and continue the issue with Savage, he also takes a veiled shot at Beefcake when he references Bruti's love of fast motorcycles, among other things (like powerboats, for example). Beefcake gulped visibly after that line, which is why I figure it was a shot, intentional or not.

I thought it was interesting that they accompanied Jake talking about Liz with footage of the slap from Tuesday in Texas. I thought they'd be a little more judicious in how they used that footage, since I'm sure there were parts of the country where running stuff like that could have led to serious repercussions. Dallas comes to mind for sure after what happened to the USWA.

After hearing Jake talk up his alliance with Taker, I can't help but wish that it was a bit more explicit, even for a short time (I know Taker turned in February to set up Mania VIII). They just seemed like such a natural pair.

I loved Gino's constant potshots at Jake, which was a luxury Vince didn't even allow himself on the air. Then again, by now there was little coming out of Vince's mouth that wasn't straight-up hype, and obnoxious hype at that.

Heenan's closing taunt over the shot of Liz holding her cheek had to be approved by Savage, as protective of Liz as he was. It simply had to be.

If Beefcake's not an active wrestler, why is he still wearing tights? A suit's too much to ask, but why not jeans and a T-shirt or golf shirt?

• 2 years later...
  • GSR changed the title to [1991-12-29-WWF-Wrestling Challenge] Barber Shop: Jake Roberts