Pro Wrestling Only

Cornette in the doghouse again

Loss

Cornette's future very much in doubt again

by Dave Meltzer

[email protected]

A decision has not yet been made on Jim Cornette's future with WWE after an incident at last night's OVW tapings in Louisville.

Cornette slapped Johnny Geo Basco backstage numerous times after Geo Basco laughed during what was supposed to be a serious scary angle.

As part of Marty Wright's new WWE persona as The Boogey Man, Cornette had introduced the character as a dangerous man, citing a worked criminal record and a background as being a sociopathical liar (off his "liar" nickname), citing he had been kicked out of the "Tough Enough" competition for lying (true) and based on a background check (untrue).

Wright did a run-in during the show, and Geo Basco, in front of the fans, started laughing at Wright instead of acting scared.

Cornette lost his temper, began yelling, and reportedly slapped him several repeatedly. The general feeling of those who were there, as Cornette's actions were witnessed by dozens, was that he was right in yelling at the guy, because he had messed up a major angle, but the slapping couldn't be defended.

Unlike with JBL, whose striking injured someone while Cornette didn't intend to or damage Geo Basco, Cornette was already on thin ice over a series of incidents, and was nearly fired two months ago for losing his temper on a number of occasions. There are expectations this will cost his WWE job.

If this is true, honestly, he needs to be axed -- great booker or not.

Come on, you justified JBL wailing the shit out of Meanie and drawing blood, but Corny slapping someone for potentally fucking up an angle is a fireable offense?

The WWE needs more people like Corny, they don't need to be firing people like him over piddly shit.

Guest Cam Chaos

Considering how pissed off and under pressure he probably is on a daily basis, as well at the fact he takes the business VERY seriously, I'm not surprised he flips out. He once was one of the top managers around, now he's got to put up with some green workers laughing and ruining his work, which then either gets dismissed or ruined by WWE in the long run. He shouldn't be putting his hands on the guys, but I am surprised they aren't slapping him back.

I didn't justify JBL attacking Meanie. I didn't even really take a side on that, and I blamed it on a lot of factors. Wrestlers shouldn't have to be concerned with promoters PHYSICALLY ATTACKING them. That has nothing to do with his booking talent and more to do with his temper.

Wrestlers shouldn't be out there laughing during serious angles either, promoters shouldn't have do worry about guys in a developmental league not taking shit seriously.

Agreed, but the proper reaction to that when it happens is assault??

Slapping the guy crossed the line, and I guess considering Corny's past he's probably fucked for sure now, but if thats the case there should be something metered out for the guy laughing too.

Hell, if someone did that in WWE, they'd probably be greeted with more than a slap from a hyperactive 50+ year old booker. I'm not saying it's right, but in the Kangaroo Court that wrestling operates in, it's been well established that physical assault is acceptible payment for disrespecting the business.

Quite honestly, I have enjoyed Cornette so much in ROH that if he was released, I would think he wuold play a bigger role in ROH.

Maybe I am looking at it from a narrow viewpoint but I don't see that much OVW to feel the sting. The WWF seems to take guys from OVW and expose their weaknesses while hiding their strengths so Cornette's work is wasted. They pull up the guys who are too green while letting others flounder thier for years.

Then again, Cornette should get the hell out if he can't control his emotions like that.

My thoughts when my brother called me on the way to work with the news was to get Cornette in ROH on a more regular basis and have him be a co-head booker (or Head Booker altogether but I doubt that would happen). That could also get ROH in Kentucky and have a show that really feels southern.

Tim

After I had time to think about it, I hope WWE does fire Corny so he can go to a place like ROH or TNA that would not shit on every idea he comes up with or undo all the work he does to get people over.

Now now now, TNA is just as big of a mess as WWE is in their booking department politics.

Tim

I don't even know what to think, if Cornette gets fired. What will WWE do with OVW? Where will Cornette go? Truthfully, it doesn't seem to have that big of an impact on me, personally, as a fan. I never get to watch OVW, so it seems like Cornette's mind for the business is, basically, being wasted.

Maybe him getting fired from OVW would be a blessing in disguise? I don't think he'd fit in too well over at TNA. Truth be told, I haven't seen him in ROH either. Of course, if you guys say he's made an impact there in the past, I'm sure it's true.

I can fantasize about Cornette and Heyman starting a new wrestling promotion that drives WWE down the tubes. Cornette could bring the southern, old-school feel and Heyman could bring the modern day entertainment. Of course, the two could never work together.

I bet that company would have some grade A fucking tag team action though!

Okay, THIS cracked me up. Read the Meltzer typo thread and then read the last post I made in the Jindrak thread or this won't make sense. Jim Cornette was announced on WWE.com as being released, and they even spelled his name "Cornett" instead of "Cornette", just to annoy us.

Anyway, getting to the joke, someone at DVDVR posted this and I can't stop laughing.

Jim Cornett responds to release:

Cornett:  "No comment.  I'm just glad they waited til' after the wedding.  sni a homi Tomrteaappears. On."