Pro Wrestling Only

Wrestling Culture Episode 33

Dylan Waco

http://www.talkshoe.com/talkshoe/web/talkC...2658&cmd=tc

Episode 33 of the Wrestling Culture podcast! Dave and I are joined by wrestling historian and author John Lister to discuss all things British wrestling. Tons of things covered including the new BBC wrestling documentary, the Mick McManus/Jackie Pallo feud, the greatness of Jim Breaks, the unique British wrestling business model, Joint Promotions as a quasi-NWA, the Observer HoF candidacy of Big Daddy, quality modern British wrestlers and tons of other stuff. I can't do this show justice with a write up, so accept this show as our holiday gift to you and give it a listen.

Finished listning to the latest show yesterday, came away wondering, were any of the more famous promoters like Max Crabtree & Brian Dixon influential enough as individuals to warrant consideration for the WON HoF?

Also, poped for the mention of Flash Jordan. Only saw him once but he certainly left a lasting impression since he looked like a 70's Mike Quackenbush.

Also, poped for the mention of Flash Jordan. Only saw him once but he certainly left a lasting impression since he looked like a 70's Mike Quackenbush.

Haven't watched it for years, but really enjoyed his match with Johnny Saint that aired in the early episodes of WOS on TWC.

• 2 weeks later...

Just catching up on the show with John Lister and I really REALLY want to see that 70s WoS throwback gimmick. That's one of the gimmicks I've always wanted to see. Jack Gallagher immediately became the current wrestler that I am most interested in anywhere in the world.

Also, about a month ago there was a random 5-minute showcase clip shown on *I think* Channel 4 of two guys in an empty arena doing various spots. Looked really good. I can't for the life of me find it. Was wondering about who those two guys were.

Dylan / Dave - one of the consequences of this new sub forum has been that I've gone back to listen to some of your older episodes again. I like the ones where you just pick a topic and shoot the shit for 2 hours -- short-lived tag-teams, Black wrestlers, those sorts of episodes. Not that I don't like the interviews and special interest stuff, but it would be great to have more of the shoot-the-shit style ones too. I was wondering if you take requests? There are some things I'd love to hear you discuss.

I want to hear two hours of discussion on who was the best of all time at getting crotched on the top rope.

No seriously, I do have a few off the wall topics that I think would make for interesting serious discussion:

Favorite slobs

Favorite politically incorrect gimmicks (I.E. Kamala)

Matches that sounded shitty on paper, but were actually really good

I'm going to throw a PILE of shit at the wall here and see if anything sticks:

Big Men + Little Men tag teams

Transitional Champions and Interim Champions

Chicken Shit Heels

Brawlers, Bawlers and Bastards

Play-by-Play Commentators, Colour Men, Interviewers, Ring Announcers, Referees

Great matches on terrible cards

Bad wrestlers who do one move really well

Masters of multiple gimmicks

Masters of the moustache

Wrestlers who are least deserving of their big reputations

Wrestlers of "European descent" (e.g. The Italian Stallion)

Babyfaces you just hate

Wrestlers with one outstanding year

Japanese stars in the US

US starts in Japan

Most heinously inexplicable gimmick changes (e.g. Iron Sheik becomes Col. Mustafa)

Most hit and miss wrestlers (e.g. The Great Muta)

Most obscure wrestlers to get runs in either WWF/E or NWA/WCW

Best jobber matches

Forgotten workers (e.g. Norvell Austin)

Scenario: Hogan and Flair both die in 1982