Pro Wrestling Only

2013 Royal Rumble Thread

Mr Wrestling X

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Over on DVDVR we decided the best choice was Punk/Lesnar vs HHH/Ryback.

I would leave Ryback out to do the Show match, but logically Hunter could always ask Shawn to come back for one night to help defend the McMahon family honor against Heyman's big two.

I like Shawn staying retired because it adds to 'The Streak'. now what he should do is go to The Undertaker, his toughest opponent, for help. Brock & Punk v. Triple H & Taker, Street Fight. I'd buy it.

I would leave Ryback out to do the Show match, but logically Hunter could always ask Shawn to come back for one night to help defend the McMahon family honor against Heyman's big two.

I like Shawn staying retired because it adds to 'The Streak'. now what he should do is go to The Undertaker, his toughest opponent, for help. Brock & Punk v. Triple H & Taker, Street Fight. I'd buy it.

Well I was operating under the assumption that Taker is not working Mania this year. If he was, I would opt for Punk OR Brock vs Taker straight up.

Well I was operating under the assumption that Taker is not working Mania this year. If he was, I would opt for Punk OR Brock vs Taker straight up.

Its up in the air, so figured a tag match would be easier on him. Who are we kidding its Brock/Trips II with Brock eating a Pedigree. Let's see if Trips can top his classic with Orton @ WM25 or the classic with Jericho @ WM18, heh.

Although no one really expects Punk or Brock to go over HHH or Taker at Mania in their rumored matches, there is always room for that element of surprise. Booking a tag match involving Taker takes that completely out of the equation. Might as well construct a flashing neon light sign pointing at Brock and Punk "Jobbing Tonight". No way they end the streak in a largely meaningless tag match.

Although no one really expects Punk or Brock to go over HHH or Taker at Mania in their rumored matches, there is always room for that element of surprise. Booking a tag match involving Taker takes that completely out of the equation. Might as well construct a flashing neon light sign pointing at Brock and Punk "Jobbing Tonight". No way they end the streak in a largely meaningless tag match.

I feel the exact opposite. There is no credible way for Punk to go over Taker in a singles match at this point and no way for any sane person to suspend their disbelief. If he were to win in a singles at this point it would be incredibly idiotic and probably damage him going forward. Brock v. HHH is a match I have no interest in seeing as a singles match. As elements in a tag? I could live with that.

They could always have HHH drop the fall in the tag and then allow Punk to talk shit to UT for a year to maybe build a singles match for when he's healthier.

Taker hasn't wrestled in a year. His injuries are of the "wrestled for too long" variety, not stuff that's just going to away. If he can't wrestle this year then they need to just address it in some way and let him ride off into the sunset. There's no sense in waiting another year to see if he heals up enough to have another match just so he can go have it and destroy himself all over again.

One problem with Taker is you need a guy who has a credible enough finisher. HHH's pedigree and Shawn's superkick were protected for ages. Meanwhile, Punk's G2S and both of Cena's moves would not seem the least bit threatening to Taker; both have been survived several times a year, every year. It would take something like a 'super' version before I think fans would really bite on nearfalls the way they did in the Shawn and HHH matches.

I don't know. You guys have a point there about the tag being more appealing, so I will move from that topic, but now I want to rebut the idea that Taker should only wrestle Cena. Yeah, it's a HUGE HUGE HUGE Mania "dream" match, with the Undertaker defending the streak against the guy who WWE has made obvious they are the most behind as ace. However, Cena lost to the Rock. Cena lost to Miz. Even if Cena wins the title from the Rock at Mania, he's just not as strong as he should be heading into a potential Taker Mania match. HOWEVER, since they seem to favor teasing or advertising one match a year out, what they could do is somehow end the show this year with Cena holding the belt staring down Undertaker. You can make Cena the man of destiny for 2013, having him go through the roster in a strong way, while teasing Undertaker elements here and there throughout the year, building to his return in 2014.

One problem with Taker is you need a guy who has a credible enough finisher. HHH's pedigree and Shawn's superkick were protected for ages. Meanwhile, Punk's G2S and both of Cena's moves would not seem the least bit threatening to Taker; both have been survived several times a year, every year. It would take something like a 'super' version before I think fans would really bite on nearfalls the way they did in the Shawn and HHH matches.

I don't think anyone in the company has the uber protected finisher anymore. Maybe Orton but I dunno.

Cena v. Taker is the biggest match they haven't run at Mania. It is a very protected match in the modern context having not been run that much period considering how long both guys have been in the same promotion as each other. To leave that match on the table seems really odd to me. Not saying they have to run it, but if you are going to bring in Taker for another year, Cena is the only opponent I can imagine putting against Taker where the outcome is in any sort of doubt.

I also think Cena should win by cheating and use that vehicle to turn heel, but that's another story

Punk's G2S was protected for a long long time. I can't remember anyone taking more than one in a match other than Cena. I could be wrong though.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the bump but as Punk's Mania opponent is a fairly topical subject after last night ;

Punk's G2S was protected for a long long time. I can't remember anyone taking more than one in a match other than Cena. I could be wrong though.

Renowned hard-as-nails tough guy Jeff Hardy kicked out of the first G2S at Extreme Rules 2009 - after he had endured a TLC match with Edge. So logically Rock should be capable of surviving at least one and it would take at least five of them to beat Taker at 'Mania if that match were to happen.

Sorry for the bump but as Punk's Mania opponent is a fairly topical subject after last night ;

Renowned hard-as-nails tough guy Jeff Hardy kicked out of the first G2S at Extreme Rules 2009 - after he had endured a TLC match with Edge. So logically Rock should be capable of surviving at least one and it would take at least five of them to beat Taker at 'Mania if that match were to happen.

All the more reason why he should bust out the Anaconda Vice to beat Taker, should they book it and book Punk to win.