Pro Wrestling Only

2013 Royal Rumble Thread

Mr Wrestling X

So with just over a day left until WWE's number 2 event, I still have no idea how things will turn out. The most predictable outcome is that The Rock wins the WWE Championship and John Cena wins the Royal Rumble, to set up a match between the two at Wrestlemania. Whilst this match will surely draw an astronomical figure, it would also mean WWE going back on themselves by billing last year's match as a "once in a lifetime encounter", and also putting on the same main event match two years running - something which they've never done before. No issues with a rematch, but it's still very likely that Triple H/Brock Lesnar II will also be on the card as a main event attraction, which means two rematches will be the selling point of the card.

I also think it's likely that the following all stand a realistic chance of winning the Royal Rumble match:

Ryback

Dolph Ziggler

CM Punk (should The Rock win the WWE Championship)

The Rock (should CM Punk retain)

Sheamus

Randy Orton

Thoughts? And is anyone else looking forward to the show?

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I previewed and predicted the whole show here:

http://prowresblog.blogspot.com/2013/01/20...redictions.html

I pretty much wrote about every possible contender, but for the sake of discussion and because I'm excited, here's more thoughts:

Before I start, so much of the show depends on where the Royal Rumble is on the card and who wins Rock/Punk. Both of those things would change my picks completely.

John Cena - At the moment, he is the favorite. Rock/Cena 2 seems very likely and this would be the perfect oppurtunity to get us there. Rock will be at the Elimination Chamber though, so that could totally throw a stick in my prediction wheel. Still, I can't see any reason for Cena not winning it and he's probably pushed winning it the most out of everyone.

Sheamus - Sheamus is my number 2 pick from what we know at the moment. He's arguably the 3rd biggest face in the WWE behind The Rock and John Cena. His schedule is really clear right now since the Orton/Sheamus feud seems to be stopping before it has begun. The big reasons he is a favorite is because we know he will be in a big match at Wrestlemania, but we have no idea where at this point. Winning the Rumble would make him a back to back winner and would give him some direction.

Ryback - Due to The Shield, I'm not picking Ryback. It would be a good win for him, but I think he has too much going on right now to pick him.

Dolph Ziggler - I think he has almost no chance of winning it. He could win it, but I don't see it happening. I think he's going to be in the Wrestlemania plans, but I also think he may be cashing it in after the Last Man Standing match as it would be good timing.

Randy Orton - Orton is alot like Sheamus in having no real direction right now. He does have something going on with The Shield, but that's about it. I can't see him in a big money match at Mania, so I can't pick him. He's just too far down the ladder right now.

Undertaker - If he is indeed in it, he definitely will be a favorite. Like Cena, his fate in my eyes depends alot on what happens in the Punk match.

It's also worth pointing out that there are going to be around 13-14 guys that aren't listed in the match yet, so there should be alot of surprises and it makes the winner a lot harder to pick.

Cena/Rock doesn't need the title, except the angle with The Rock this year is "one more time as champion". If it wasn't for that, assuming Taker/Punk is the plan, I'm all for Dylan's idea - in fact, I love it, was only speaking to someone about it the other day and it makes perfect sense. It's still an easy segue for Punk into challenging Taker with or without the belt (and Taker at Mania doesn't really need the belt either), but one of those matches absolutely has to have the belt. We don't need a second consecutive year where the belt is third from the top...

this is the most i've been excited for a wrestling event in YEARS, probably since i was a kid watching during 2000/2001 actually. its just that there seems like a lot of interesting possibilities for WM to shape up, with none being too much more likely than another, and this show should really start to see things come together. plus they did a great job with the rumble having lots of guys hot going into it, and of course rock/punk.

WWE are

at the Royal Rumble fan-fest this week. It involves a ton of former popular Indy guys, including Corey Graves (Sterling James Keenan), Luke Harper (Brodie Lee), Adrian Neville (PAC) and Xavier Woods (Consequences Creed from TNA). I'm pulling for Woods, who has grown a lot during his NXT/FCW stint, but I assume they're going with Mike Rotunda's kid, Bo Dallas. I don't think WWE have ever done anything similar to this with their developmental guys in the past, have they?

There is also this:

PWInsider is reporting that former Intercontinental Champions Carlito and Shelton Benjamin are both in Phoenix, Arizona and will be competing in the 30 man Royal Rumble match. It was reported by many websites that both men are in Scottsdale, Arizona for an independant wrestling event for this weekend, which is less than 30 minutes from US Airways Center in Phoenix.

I can't say I'm interested in seeing either of these guys come back.

Rock said he was coming back to win the title and main event Mania. I don't see any reason to doubt those plans.

Cena also said last year he needed to beat the Rock at Mania... didn't happen. Point being, just because a guy says something, doesn't always mean it gets written in stone. Rock could just say that to boost interest in his continued involvement with the WWE as not to cause burnout and/or diminishing returns on his comebacks.

Even when I'm not following WWE the Rumble always seems to hold a weird attraction. Can't say I'm too excited about the card but I'll be staying up to watch it, as ever. This and Wrestlemania are the only ones I always want to catch as they happen.

....I can see him definitely winning at the Elimination Chamber

The Rock won't work a chamber match, surely? Not unless he just comes in at #6 and destroys a few guys, I suppose, without having to take a major bump.

I also believed it when Cena said he was going to go into his match with Rock as WWE champ.

This would have definitely been the case, had CM Punk not caught on in the way he did. Presumably, had Punk actually gone on hiatus from WWE (like he was planning, apparently), Cena would have feuded with Del Rio (the MITB winner) over the summer, before winning the belt back in time for the match with The Rock at Wrestlemania.

I think that The Rock winning the title, with John Cena winning the Rumble, are just too predictable. Whilst I can see one of these things definitely happening, both would be overkill for a promotion with the tagline that "anything can happen in the WWE".

Last year, the predictable outcome was Chris Jericho winning the Royal Rumble...

this seems like a fairly hot show that I'm quite interested in. You never know because of how the company hates predictability but I really think they are going the obvious route here and having Rock win and Cena win the Rumble. Ziggler will most likely get the "marathon" push and I wouldn't be completely suprised if they did something with the briefcase tonight

I hate this trend of starting a show with a world title match. What happened to a nice fast paced tag to open proceedings? The concept of pacing a card seems alien these days.

Having said that the match itself was fine, the table bump was impressive and overall it was just a simple, solid match. Mainly avoided the LMS pitfalls of long periods just lying around while the referee counts.

Thought it was a good match. Del Rio is still trying to figure out the best babyface arsenal which results in some awkward looking stuff, but on another level i like it and i thought it was cool that Cole pointed that out. The big spots worked well and looked good. Loved the Ricardo stuff, Del Rio didn't die when he got Seth Rollins'ed and the finish while a repeat of Batista/Cena made sense. Not as good as the first match, but I didn't expect it to be.

Wish I had watched Cesaro v. Miz