Pro Wrestling Only

Jerry Lawler

goodhelmet

Watching 1994 Lawler footage now and the Dream Machine feud is so awesome. Just curious... Troy Graham was all over Memphis TV in the early 1980s. He disappears and then pops up ten years later. Where did he go?

Dream Machine lived in Memphis . I was at a bachelor party in a Memphis nightclub around that time. Dream Machine's girl friend was either a waitress or a dancer , he was at the club to watch over her. We all got to meet Troy . Really a nice guy .

The rumor was that Dream had substance abuse issues . Jarrett would just stopped booking him. The only runs I remember for the Dream were in the outlaw Jackson , MS territory , the two Memphis runs and a stint in Ron Fuller 's USA Pro Wrestling . I think the Memphis runs were from 1981 to 1985/ 86 and then the final short USWA stint. I am not sure , but I think he worked as a bouncer .

Unrelated there is a tv segment in 94 where the Dream Machine uses wheelchair bound Scott Bowden as a human shield Check it out..

I am going through the 1994 footage now looking for it. Was it in an arena clip?

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just finished disc #10. So far this stuff has been tremendous. We cover the rest of the Mantell feud. The Kaufman stuff was a lot of fun. We have 2 of the greatest studio matches from 80's on this disc.

Lawler vs Dutch LLT.

This was a great studio bout. We get great promos, and some amazing action. The punches here are so fucking stiff looking. They really come across as hating the fuck out of each other. Lawler does an amazing running punch to Dutch on the apron. This match has it all and one of the all time great studio bouts. A great 4 1/4* match.

Lawler vs. Dutch No DQ, Barbed Wire match.

Another strong match in the feud. This is worked a bit different since they can't leave the ring. Here again we get a really great brawl. they throw tremendous punches. They use and tease the wire. Both guys are bloody. They work the cuts like pros. They put over the wins and losses in this feud. They were referring to this as the Final Conflict. So I guess Memphis was ahead of the curve to Crockett promotions with the slogan. 4* match.

We get the Kaufman stuff and it's entertaining and historic.

We get highlights of matches against Kamala, and Kendo Nagasaki.

Lawler vs. Flair

Another great studio match, and one of the best of the 80's. The promos here were top notch. The match was worked perfectly to sell tickets for a rematch. 2 of the all time greats being great on the stick, and in the ring. Then on top of it we get a great post match angle that helps pick up business. 3 1/2*.

Lawler vs. Sweetan

This is what you would call a Lawler special. This is a match where Lawler is a master at stalling and generating heat. It's also a match Lawler detactors might point out as a knock against him. Here it works, but when he does it with Eddie Gilbert not so much. Sweetan is over in San Antonio, throws a good punch, is a smart worker, but has flaws like mediocre bumper, and has a good piledriver. We see some stalling. Both guys throw great punches. I thought Sweetan's arm work was really awesome, but a bit on the short side. The finish was a lot of fun and the post match with Sweetan's piledriver was pretty great. 3 1/2 * match.

All in all Lawler is making a case as the greatest of all time. Will he take over Flair as my #1? Let's see so far I'm enjoying the ride.

I mean they're awesome matches . I liked them more when I watched them the for the Memphis set. Though looking at them now their are some small flaws that bother me. I still rate them high, but some stuff nags at me. For example in the 1st match Dutch threw that chair at Lawler's leg. Dutch went after the leg, but not as much, and as vicious as I wanted. Dutch seemed happy to punch Lawler in the face. It worked, but not as much as Dutch attacking the leg. The feud was still amazing . This match i'd rate 4 1/4*.

I don't consider myself to be a huge fan of heavy punch filled matches. Now when both guys can throw awesome looking punches and sell them great it's a different story. Fargo versus Lawler as mentioned by others already in this thread is definitely a treat to watch. The punches looked so great but it was the selling by both guys that I loved. Like every punch connected was devastating to the opponent. The looks on their faces after taking a stiff looking shot like they were about to go unconscious at any moment. It felt like a war and was I really taken in with this match. Simple in that it was a straight up brawl but the selling just made it so special. Excellent match.

I watched disc 11 and it's another killer disc.

The Lawler/Cornette interactions are a lot of fun. Still Lawler was being a bully.

Jerry Lawler vs. Kamala (Studio) (8/28/82)

This wasn't much of a match, but a wild ass fight that brought out Eaton and Sugar along with Keirn and Taylor.

We get a fun studio bout with Dream Machine. I always preferred Dream as a face.

We get a bunch of clipped matches.

I loved the interaction and promo off of Bock amd Lawler. They are so different characters that play off each other well.

The phone interview with Kaufman was classic.

We get 3 Lawler/Bockwinkle matches. All 3 of the matches are worked differently. That's a feather in both guys caps.

Jerry Lawler vs. Nick Bockwinkel (10/18/82)

This is my favorite between the 3 matches. Here the pace is kinda methodical but the guys do it to make everything count. Lawler starts off fast and gets the early shine.Both guys are awesome at working each others back.I love Lawler's running punch. Again this feels like 2 masters playing chess. 4 1/4* match.

Jerry Lawler vs. Nick Bockwinkel (10/25/82)

I thought this was the lesser of the 3. This was still good. They work a 10 minute hammer lock spot. That got kinda old, but I did dig Lawler's escape attempts and Bock still holding on. We get some brawling and mat wrestling here. We get a screw job ending that Lawler is so smart he's able to turn the crowds anger away from the ref. 3 3/4* match

Jerry Lawler vs. Nick Bockwinkel (No DQ) (11/8/82)

They work this match so smartly with the stips. It's not as intense as the Dutch matches, but it made more sense and didn't leave any opportunities on the table. The punches here are so great. The finish lacked excitement, but it made sense. Lawler has a hell of a fist drop. The story of the match is well done. 4* match.

I'm on to the next disc which easily could be called the Jimmy Hart HOF reel. Cornette was pretty fun here too. We got great angles and promos here. Most of the matches are highlights. Their were 2 Bobby Eaton matches that were pretty solid. Bobby here at this point was a bumper, and punch type of guy. The matches were designed to make Lawler look good.

Jerry Lawler & Bill Dundee vs. Adrian Street & The Apocalypse (CWA 12/11/82)

This is a real fun tag. Street came across as the star of the match. Him and Dundee had great chemistry in the ring. I loved Lawler skipping in the ring. Street's strikes looked great. Apocalypse is a dumb gimmick though the name would have worked for a monster. Boyette has a rep as a bumper, but it's not evident here. Still we get a 3* match.

Jerry Lawler & Bob Sweetan vs. Adrian Adonis & Tully Blanchard (SW 1/16/83)

Man this is a great tag. Steve Saks does a great job getting over the injury angle with Sweetan. It starts with the heels working over Sweetan's neck. Sweetan sells it like death. He tags to Lawler and the heels are great bumping and stooging for him. They make Lawler look like a million bucks. Then they start to get heat on Lawler and he's amazing in the FIP role. The heels are great at blocking the hot tag and it really builds the heat. Lawler is also great at going for the desperate hot tag which when he gets it even means that much more. I'd go 4 1/4 * on the match.

Disc 13 is pretty amazing. Not for the matches, but for the build to the Lawler vs Dundee LLT match.

Lawler vs. John Tolos

Too bad we don't get dual promos to start. Tolos is up there at this point. He does one of the greatest Pearl Harbor spots I've ever seen. So Tolos is on top to start with some basic arm work. Tolos seems like he has lost his ability to bump. Lawler works really hard here. He takes some big bumps and tries to make this interesting. I'd go 2 1/4* on the match.

PileDriver match Lawler vs. Colossus of Death/Andy Kaufman

This was pretty bad, but super heated. They do a great job of milking the moment of Lawler getting to Andy. Kaufman does a great job of selling a broken jaw in the match.

Highlights of Lawler vs. Patera

This looked pretty fun and really wish we had the match in whole. I think these guys could have been a hot match.

Now the 2 t.v shows of the Lawler/Dundee was so perfect. Two guys where you could cut the tension with a knife. You felt they hate each other and believe that one of them must leave. We get great back and forth. Lance was the master at MCing this spectacle. This might have been the greatest piece of business ever. We get great music videos and hit me with your best shot of Lawler throwing punches might have been greatest video ever. Showing wrestlers picking winners was great. Eddie Marlin talking about possible replacements was amazing. Freddie Miller telling the wrestlers they can come to Georgia to wrestle. This was just perfect. I liked the Evansville show too, but the studio setting just had a more edgey feel to it. 8 billiion stars. Where can I buy a ticket?

The LLT match was a last-minute deal set up because Dundee was leading the crew headed to Chattanooga for GCW Superstars. He and Lawler weren't even feuding. To put over the LLT matches big, they did those big sit-down shows. The one in the studio aired exclusively in Memphis, while the one in Jerry Jarrett's house aired in the other markets like Louisville and Evansville.

Disc 14 is another winner.

Lawler vs. Dundee

We get a post match angle with Lawler and Lance. This was awesome. Lawler has a black eye, puts over Dundee as his toughest opponent. Now the match is incredible and super heated. To get over the importance of the match the babyfaces and heels are seated around ringside and cheering and booing like they should. The match was built around nasty thrown punches and brawling. The bumps that these guys took were big. This was worked to perfection. The bout was hate filled. Lawler bleeding from the eye. Lance getting over the visual of the blood filling the eye was well done and enhanced the match. Their is pne punch exchange on the floor was amazing. The finish here is really great. Towards the end Dundee front clipped Lawler. He tries again and runs right into a Lawler punch. If anyone who has delivered this blow or recieved one knows this is a finish. When I was a goalie in the 8th grade, I came off the line to punch the ball while a player went for a header. I ended up punching the ball and my follow through knocked the player out cold. He went to the hospital, the football game next to us stopped because of the sound. On top of this Lawler delivers a pile driver. An easy 4 3/4 * match.

Lawler vs, Man Mountain Link

It's clipped and Lawler does the job for this stiff. Who is he?

We get some promo from Hart with Link acting all weird.

The break up between Kaufman and Hart is amazing. I can't put it over enough. The match with Hart/Kaufman vs. Lawler was so much fun. I smiled the whole way.

Jerry Lawler & Austin Idol vs. Bruise Brothers

This is a so so tag. Nothing wrong we are JIP 4 minutes in of an 11 minute match. I'd say it was in the 2 1/2 * range.

Andy Kaufman vs. Jimmy Hart

These guys have a real fun fight. It's worked in the vein of Corny and Paul E from 89. Kaufman is so hated in Memphis it turns Hart face for the match. Sweet Daddy comes in for the finish and they destroy Kaufman.

Jerry Lawler + Andy Kaufman

Kaufman begs Lawler to be his partner to face Hart.

Andy Kaufman & Jimmy Hart + The Assassins / Jerry Lawler & Andy Kaufman vs. Assassin #1 & Jimmy Hart

Andy turns on Lawler in the match. We get Andy in the studio and he's amazing. He gets the audience so hot. He has the crown on. This segment is amazing.

Andy on this disc is amazing.

Jerry Lawler vs. Ken Patera (JIP) (7/25/83)

We get about 8 minutes of a 14 minute match. The work is solid, but plodding at times. I wish we would have seen it in whole. I'd say 2 1/2* match.

erry Lawler & Austin Idol vs. Assassins (Arena Clips) (7/25/83)

Jimmy Hart Interview + Andy Kaufman Promo (7/30/83)

Jimmy Hart Interview & Andy Kaufman Promo (8/6/83)

Andy Kaufman Promo + Jerry Lawler Interview + Jimmy Hart Response (8/13/83)

Andy Kaufman Promo (8/20/13)

All the promos and segments are great.

Jerry Lawler, Austin Idol & Jimmy Valiant vs. The Assassins & Ken Patera

We get 8 minutes of an 11 minute match. Valiant gets a huge pop.This is just a kick ass Memphis brawl. I couldn't keep my eyes off Valiant. He's such a character. We get chairs, and what Valiant does with the ref is must see. I'd say 4*

Jerry Lawler Interview (8/27/83) (on Andy Kaufman)

First Family Interview (9/3/83)

We close out with this and it's great. The 1st family is huge. We also get a returning Bill Dundee. Oh yea.

Also Cornette returns and seems much more polished after working on top in the small Georgia territory. He just seems like he has more pressence.

What a great disc for promos, angles, and matches.

Jerry Lawler, Austin Idol & Jimmy Valiant vs. The Assassins & Ken Patera

We get 8 minutes of an 11 minute match. Valiant gets a huge pop.This is just a kick ass Memphis brawl. I couldn't keep my eyes off Valiant. He's such a character. We get chairs, and what Valiant does with the ref is must see. I'd say 4*

If this is four stars, whey did we leave it off the 80s set?

I have him as a top 5 guy. After going through the

whole comp we'll see. I'll say though 10 years ago I had him as a top 40 guy whenever that Smarkchoice poll was. I mean I've watched the Memphis set and some of the yearbooks , Schneider comps , MOTY comps to give him a fair shake. Thus his moving up the ranks over the last 8-10 years. I'm looking forward to seeing more.

Jerry Lawler & Dutch Mantel + The First Family (9/3/83)

Jerry Lawler Show: Austin Idol Interview /

Jim Cornette Interview (9/4/83)

Jimmy Hart Commentary on Lawler vs. Dundee (Arena Clips 9/5) (9/10/83)

Jerry Lawler Show: Ken Patera Interview + Dear Jerry (9/11/83)

Jerry Lawler Interview + Bill Dundee Promo (9/17/83)

Jerry Lawler Show: Rock N Roll Express Interview /

Jimmy Hart Interview + Dear Jerry (9/18/83)

Jerry Lawler vs. Jesse Ventura (Arena Clips 9/19/83)

Jerry Lawler Show: Dutch Mantel Interview (9/25/83)

Nothing really earth shattering here. It was interesting to watch.

Jerry Lawler & Austin Idol vs. Stan Hansen & Jesse Ventura (9/25/83)

This was a solid brawl. Lawler's FIP work was well done. When Hansen and him were in the ring together it was really good. Idol gets a hot tag and gets cut off. Idol is FIP now and he's no Lawler. Eventually it gets out of control. They're brawling all over the arena. Chairs are used. They're are up in the stands and Lawler takes an insane bump to the floor. The post match was wild. I'll split the difference and go 3 1/4 * for the match.

Jerry Lawler Show: Assassins Interview + Dear Jerry /

Lily Butler Interview (10/2/83)

The Lily Butler interview is awesome. She sounded a lot like a lot of us when talking about the wrestling we grew up on.

Bill Dundee Interview / Bill Dundee + Jimmy Hart + Jerry Lawler Phone Call (10/8/83) (Chicken Suit)

This angle had it all. Humor, blood, a beatdown, heat, and Lawler and Dundee reuniting.

Jerry Lawler Show: Lance Russell Interview (10/9/83)

An amazing piece of going down memory lane.

Jerry Lawler vs. Jesse Ventura (10/10/83)

Ventura is a bad worker. Lawler does his best with him. Lawler peppers him with punches. I loved Ventura's spin bumps off Lawler punches. Still not a good match. I'd go 2 1/4 *

Jerry Lawler & Bill Dundee vs. Bruise Brothers (10/10/83)

This was a fun tag. The story that was told was Lawler and Dundee's timing is off.They haven't tagged in a while so they're rusty. The Bruise Bros are a good tag team and exploit Dundee and Lawler. Plus the Bruise Bros use a gimmick to get heat. Good Memphis tag. A 2 3/4 * match.

Jerry Lawler Show: High School Cheerleaders Interview (10/16/83)

Thank God their advisor was there. You could tell Jerry had a favorite.

Elimination Match (Arena Clips 10/17/83) + Jimmy Hart Interview /

Jerry Lawler Promo (10/22/83)

Bill Dundee + The Moondogs (10/22/83)

Jerry Lawler Show: Jimmy Valiant Interview /

Jerry’s Artwork (10/23/83)

Jerry Lawler Interview w/ Arena Clips (10/24/83)

Fun stuff the rest of the way. We also see Lawler and Dundee dissolve the partnership.

Disc 16

Jerry Lawler Interview + Bill Dundee & Eddie Marlin Interview

Man this was a nice piece of business and Lawler is clearly positioned as the face. Dundee was amusing but comes across as an arrogant ass.

Jerry Lawler, Austin Idol & Dutch Mantel vs. The Moondogs & Man Mountain Link

We get about 12 minutes of an 18 minute match here. We start with a little brawling to start. The match settles down and we get a babyface shine. Lawler works some miscommunication spots with the heels. Moondogs start the hide the chain schtick to wake the crowd up. Lawler's FIP is done well. He takes one killer bump that is kinda a front nestea plunge bump from the apron to taking a header into the table. During the heat on Lawler the match drags. Lawler takes another bump into the table. The heels prop the table up and ram Lawler into it on the floor. The match breaks down into a brawl and Lawler captures the pin on Man Mountain Link. I'd give it 2 1/2* .

Jerry Lawler Interview + Andy Kaufman Phone Call

Kaufman is insane here.

Jerry Lawler, Austin Idol & Dutch Mantel vs. The Moondogs & Man Mountain Link

This a falls count anywhere match and I didn't see a clip in the footage. Pretty much we get a 6 minute wild brawl. Canes are used. Everyone is bleeding. This is wild as shit. The finish is Lawler throwing the fire for a DQ. I don't feel comfortable rating a match so short, but I will say it was a real good brawl.

Jerry Lawler Interview / Jerry Lawler vs. Jeff Briggs / Bill Dundee vs. Don Donovan (11/12/83)

Jerry Lawler Show: Bill Dundee Interview (11/13/83)

Fun stuff on the whatever you can do I can do better in the squash match. The Lawler show piece was a great piece of business. You believe they hate each other.

Jerry Lawler vs. Andy Kaufman (11/14/83)

They built the heat. Kaufman is a heat machine.

Jerry Lawler vs. Buddy Landell (11/19/83) (Andy Kaufman on Commentary)

Holy fuck was this a spectacle. They only go 5 minutes but man is the presentation of this great. It was super heated, Lawler takes the chair bump. To Landell preening and posing. Then you have Kaufman killing it in studio just getting the crowd nuclear. They break a wheat bag with the worst Russian ever.

Jerry Lawler Music Video “Mean Streak” (11/19/83)

A fun video.

Jerry Lawler vs. Bill Dundee

This was a solid match, but doesn't compare to their high end match. This would be like their touring match on the indy circuit. The 1st 5 minutes is them getting by on their charisma. Dundee is a dick here. Dundee beats on Lawler, and focuses on different strikes to Lawler's face. Eventually the strap comes down for the comeback. Lawler punching like a mofo. The Russian comes in for the DQ. The match went 11 minutes and I'd say 2 1/2* for the match.

Jerry Lawler vs. Randy Savage (Cage Match)

This was a pretty fun cage. We start with Savage controlling Lawler early. Savage does an Ax handle to the floor that was nuts since the error of landing was nill.Eventually it build to Savage using the cage as a weapon on Lawler. He bumps Lawler into the cage, ring post,and great punches to the eye. Eventually Lawler returns the favor and puts Savage into the cage. Savage misses an ax handle from top of the cage. Savage delivers an airplane spin that both guys sell. Eventually LeDuc climbs the cage for a DQ. This was a good match but had some limitations. Like Savage took too much of the match, but it was important to position him strong. The match has flaws like Lawler only gots flurries of offense even at the finish. I still think the good outweighs the bad. I'd go as high 3 3/4*

Jerry Lawler Interview + Randy Savage Promo (12/17/83

All I can say is where can I buy a ticket. They are perfect opponents for one another.

Jerry Lawler & Cowboy Lang vs. Plowboy Frazier & Little Tokyo

Man this was a blast. The midgets stole the match. Lawler and Plowboy were used as bases for spots. Hart telling Frazier to get the midget was great. 3*

Austin Idol Promo & Jerry Lawler Interview + Jimmy Hart Interview (12/24/83)

This was great all around and makes you wonder what is going to happen.

Overall another killer disc.

Nick Bockwinkel Interview (12/31/83)

Jerry Lawler vs. Nick Bockwinkel Music Video (Arena Clips 1/2) + Nick Bockwinkel Interview /

Both of Bock's interviews are killer. His It was your pleasure line is gold. The $500 dollar punch interview is a classic.

erry Lawler Interview (1/7/84)

Jerry Lawler vs. Nick Bockwinkel (Arena Clips 1/9) + Jerry Lawler Interview (1/14/84)

Sheiks Blackwell & Patera Promo / Jerry Lawler + Jimmy Hart / Jerry Lawler & Austin Idol vs. Crusher Blackwell & Ken Patera (Arena Clips 1/24) (1/28/84)

This was all good stuff, but it wasn't Lawler/Idol. It was Morton and Gibson.

Jerry Lawler & Austin Idol vs. Road Warriors (1/31/84)

They show 7 minutes of a 20 minute match. What we saw wasn't much.

Jerry Lawler & Blackjack Mulligan vs. Jerry Blackwell & Ken Patera (AWA 3/4/84)

This is a pretty good match. Blackwell and Lawler looked amazing in this match. Patera looked good too. Mulligan was fine. Blackwell does everything to make Mulligan look good. The faces have a fun shine sequence. They tag in and out working over the heels. Both heels bumping big. Eventually Lawler gets cut off and is FIP. Lawler is great in his role. Patera and Lawler milk this bear hug spot. Lawler does this amazing small package on Blackwell. Heels do a good job focusing on Lawler's back. They do a fun tease of the tag that the ref misses because he's distracted by the ref. The heels are effective in switching in and out and remaining fresh. Finally Lawler gets the hot tag to Mulligan. Mulligan is a house of fire for a minute. Lawler back in with rapid fire punches that look great. We build to a fuck finish. 3 1/4*

Jerry Lawler + Joe LeDuc (Fireball) (3/31/84)

What a great angle.

Jerry Lawler & JJ Dillon vs. Randy Savage & Jimmy Hart (Arena Clips 4/2) (4/7/84)

Fun for what it was.

Jerry Lawler vs. Randy Savage (4/9/84)

This is a good match. Savage is so intense and believable. Savage is on the bike to start. He spits at Lawler. Some fun brawling. They are working the mat. Nothing special, but kinda neat with the arm bar, and pulling hair reversals. They take it to the floor and some brawling. Jimmy Hart is working hard here. They bust out a strong finishing run with big moves that might have been better served with some selling. After all these big moves Lawler wins with a roll up. 4*

Jimmy Hart Interview + First Family Rally (4/21/84)

This is a great pep talk.

Jerry Lawler vs. Lord Humongous (Arena Clips) (4/30/84)

Jerry Lawler Interview & Eddie Marlin Promo (5/5/84)

Jerry Lawler vs. Humongous (Arena Clips (5/7) / Jimmy Hart Interview + Jerry Lawler Interview (5/12/84)

Jerry Lawler Show Mother’s Day Special (5/13/84)

Jerry Lawler Interview (on Andy Kaufman’s Death) (5/19/84) Needs splice edit

Jerry Lawler vs. Humongous (Finish Only) (5/21/84)

All good stuff. The Kaufman stuff is sad that he's dead. Jimmy Hart blaming the piledriver for the cause of the Cancer is in bad taste.