Pro Wrestling Only

Burning Hammer Podcast 84

Dylan Waco

http://www.talkshoe.com/talkshoe/web/talkC...4052&cmd=tc

Had a blast doing this show with Tim Noel tonight. Don't worry Musgrave I still love you best. Still this was an awesome time and I think an interesting show. Here is Tim's rundown from the DVDVR:

Topics: 90s country music!; origin of "DylanWaco" name; place of Chikara in today's wrestling scene; current New Japan; where faux MMA fits in today & dangers of promoting it; wrestling philosophy topics:

--where do you draw the line between assuming everyone knows what wrestling is vs. maintaining the mystique vs. it's all just BS & who's kidding who? (cite social media w/ guys using real names)

--idea that guys wanting to present wrestling as a sport are old & outdated, US wrestling is largely seen & presented as complete BS nationally

--importance of rivalries & blood fueds; importance of wins, titles

--fulfilling wrestling at the niche level

--thoughts that there’s an indy resurgence going on… to me if that’s the case it just shows that people need to beef up their video collection, there’s much better stuff from the past to watch than seeking out some indy with 2 matches you want to see

--iPPV market becoming oversaturated? Seems there’s one every week now from some company or other, maybe just inevitable or is there room for all if a lot of the smaller ones have their isolated fanbase?

--should certain moves be considered outdated (sleeper) & not done anymore based on fans being able to see thru them?

Dylan, these are saturated times in the podcast world. I currently have a backlog of 7 different wrestling podcasts to listen to and that doesn't include the AWA 80s Party ones, or indeed my own (which still needs to be edited and uploaded).

I decided to bump this up the order because the topics are of great interest to me. So far you have talked about soft 90s country for 8 minutes. This better be worth it man.

About 40 minutes in and Dylan's basically discussing the topic we touched on here. About how, apart from Cena, there are no real stars. I'm wondering if it's deliberate strategy, that the WWE name is the thing that sells and we've reached a point where wrestlers are so interchangable as to become meaningless. That is, it simply doesn't matter who is on the card you'll always get X,000 turning up for the live shows, X,million tuning in for RAW and X,000,000 buys for the PPVs, just because it is WWE, and regardless of storylines, stars and anything else. This relies on the idea that, no matter what, there'll always be wrestling fans and it assumes that they will never tune out for good. Maybe that's true, I dunno.

Next, wrestling as sports ... exciting.