Pro Wrestling Only

Tonight's RAW

Loss

Well, it's nice to see they're going with Cena/Jericho and that HHH is gone for the foreseeable future. Fascinating how Jericho rises right to the top as soon as Trips is out of the picture, and the mic work is actually doing a lot to revitalize Jericho and give Cena a long program he can sink his teeth into as well.

Carlito/Benjamin was also a better match than I expected it to be, and the Carlito/Jericho stuff was awesome in the first segment. They also seem to be teasing Matt Hardy's return.

RAW just seems more ... lifelike ... without That Guy around.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest teke184

Well, it's nice to see they're going with Cena/Jericho and that HHH is gone for the foreseeable future. Fascinating how Jericho rises right to the top as soon as Trips is out of the picture, and the mic work is actually doing a lot to revitalize Jericho and give Cena a long program he can sink his teeth into as well.

Carlito/Benjamin was also a better match than I expected it to be, and the Carlito/Jericho stuff was awesome in the first segment. They also seem to be teasing Matt Hardy's return.

RAW just seems more ... lifelike ... without That Guy around.

It's easier when you're not going half-speed to make a crippled bastard look that... damn... good.

Guest Bruiser Chong

What CJ said. I flipped on in time to see Kane laughing for some reason and then Matt Hardy attack Edge. Man, I may have to watch just to see how real this angle's gonna be.

Man, that Matt Hardy shit was crazy. I was literally baffled. I didn't know what the fuck was going on. It was like when Scott Hall came out on WCW Nitro. I just didn't know what the fuck was going on. That was amazing. nWo type shit. It's been nine years since I've felt like this. Some weird, wild stuff.

That's exactly what it reminded me of, Scott Hall walking out on Nitro. I was amazed WWE was able to pull this off so brilliantly, when Matt started yelling at "Adam" and seeing the arena security take him out like some fan jumping the railing, I was marking out at how awesome it all was. More importantly the crowd was going bananas the whole time.

Funny how that works, instead of coming up with some stupid angle or gimmick they put two guys who (at least at one time) hated each other for real together. That's as basic as wrestling gets: I hate you, now I'm going to kick your ass. That's all it fuckin' takes to rake in the money.

Man, the WWE does some stupid shit on Smackdown, and now we have this, which is the biggest potential money-drawing angle since Invasion, if not much earlier. Hope it turns out better than Invasion too.

This is what this angle has going for it and where they have the potential to bring in some big cash as a result: The fans still have a real feel for Matt and sympathies towards him, but at the same time, all parties (from what we've last heard) are socially healthy enough to pull it off (while the fans haven't heard about the terms of said parties). They've hit that fine line where they can cash in on this. Let's hope the execution is as good as its beginning tonight.

Matt Hardy's character is more real than Steve Austin's was in 1997, when he was getting arrested every now and then too. The presentation was off the charts too. I loved when all of security got Matt and, unlike an Austin arrest back in the day, there was a real chaotic feel, complete with shaky camera effects, like an episode of cops. JR, King, and Coach did a fantastic job of selling it by...not really saying anything. It was like it wasn't supposed to be part of the show. I don't think they mentioned Matt by name at all. Just absolutely wonderful.

They need to follow up on this. If Matt shows up, no music, entrance video, whatever. He has the feel still that he's not with the company. This is the execution that Invasion lacked, the return of the nWo lacked, or many other angles like that. Because of that presentation (something that Jim Cornette has hammered home the importance of), this angle and storyline is giving me hope again.

Guest Alfdogg

I actually thought it was an impostor until he left the ring to get a mic, because they didn't get a good shot of his face until then. Then you heard "dubya-dbuya aee can kiss mah ayass" and you knew it was him.

You guys need to have more faith in the WWE's ability to fuck this up. They will. This is the same company that thinks the Hassan/Taker thing was a good idea, and that parents should watch it with their children. Do not be fooled...they're idiots. They're luring us all in so that they can ALMOST do something right...and then fuck it up. Think Triple H/Stephanie/Angle here.

Browsing various boards, I'm amazed at how many people are convinced it was a shoot. I've almost forgotten what it feels like to have a believable wrestling angle happen. They may very well fuck it up, but they sure got it off to the right start.

I have a feeling Hardy is going to draw a huge crowd in his upcoming ROH debut, and I wouldn't be surprised to see Edge and Lita show up to work an angle there either.

Guest SweetMama Scaat

-I like the fact that Ashley did an actual wrestling move as her talent.

-All the diva girls did shit stacy keiblers been doing for years.

-Benjamin/Cena VS Carlito/Jericho could be one of those big tag team main events on Raw like theyve been trying to do for years but allways turns up lackluster

-Anyone who thinks its a shoot needs to remember that Hardy also attacked Edge BEFORE the break, which nobody seems to be mentioning. But yeah,yall we have a concurence that (so far) this was handled very well.

-Like sweetmama scaat told you; heel HBK these days = <_<

Guest brian

Man, that was awesome. They did that perfect, though the tease at first might have been too much but they really did handle it well. Announcing, people diving in to stop things.

Browsing various boards, I'm amazed at how many people are convinced it was a shoot. I've almost forgotten what it feels like to have a believable wrestling angle happen. They may very well fuck it up, but they sure got it off to the right start.

That's generally the way I feel at the moment too. And ditto at other wrestling places. I've seen many, many people last night debate whether or not it was a shoot or work.

Matt posts this on his website:

If you guys are ready for a ride, jump the f*ck on. Well, I promised you all fireworks, so I hope I didn't disappoint. As of July 11th, 2005, my personal Independence Day, the Movement has begun-- and the Movement's purpose is two-fold. Purpose one--To never let anyone control what Matt Hardy says and does and thinks. Purpose two--To make Adam Copeland, Amy Dumas, and the WWE regret what they did to me, what they did to us. It's time for Matt Hardy to stand up for all the MFer's that have been chanting "We Want Matt", and "You Screwed Matt". Although you may not know this--you guys, the MFers, started the Movement months ago. I can now finally join the Movement because I am no longer controlled by the WWE. The McMahons, the Johnny Aces, and all of the WWE management can kiss my @$$. I did what I did tonight because for me to live with myself, Adam "Feces" Copeland must pay. I'm not going to let the WWE forget that they f*cked up when they released me instead of that scumbag home-wrecker. And Amy Dumas, you know what's it's like to have me as your closest ally--but you're gonna hate to see what it's like to have me as your worst enemy b*tch. Even though I didn't slash your tires FCF, slashed tires are going to be the least of your problems--Bank on it. A little message to the whore, the feces, and the horsesh*t "family" that is the WWE--Matt Hardy is like cancer, I don't go away and you won't find a cure. I thank EVERYONE that has supported me through thick and thin--I promise I will always be there for my MFers. I love you guys--and as I always say, without you, there is no me. I am going to turn a hugely negative situation into something that will benefit us. If you don't want to be able to predict what happens next, you're all in for a treat.

P.S. - If you're thinking about pressing charges Vince, I got a couple bucks, I'll fight it. Besides, I think I might have some pixs and video from a camera phone that shows your officers Rodney Kinging my @$$. My wrist is cut from the handcuffs, and I would suggest that there was a little unnecessary roughness involved in kicking me out of your building.

P.S.S. - And don't forget to catch Matt Hardy in action this Friday in Indiana, PA, this Saturday in Woodbridge, CT, and you never know where I'll show up on Sunday. And The Matt Hardy Show is so on...

Matt "F*cking" Hardy

His pathetic message board crowd is responding as follows:

Screw you hardy, you sellout

Nice fake punches.

Nice having the mic work for you when you needed it.

Nice getting two segments in and minutes of airtime before they caught you.

Nice having the guards be in place.

Nice having WWE Cameras catch it all.

Nice haing WWE having Edge do a scene walking to the ring, just in time for you.

Nice having the guards not get to you seconds later after you are finishing talking.

I love how it fit WWE's LIVE! Air time perfectly.

Some freedom, eh Matty? First day off you go back. I love how you got passed all the security to get in in the first place.

You arn't stupid. You should know if it was real WWE Inc. wouldn't have to press charges, considering authority saw the whole thing along with Video footage

And another ...

Matt you are such a joke now, you just fucked your career man. Enjoy your fat paycheck at the expense of guys like Charlie Haas and Shannon Moore. You are gonna get @$$ raped at ROH man, fans like us don't buy that kinda (feces).

And one more ...

Rott in hell mr. Hardy Having fun in jail with your laptop? Oh wait it's all a work, you are sitting in a hotel room. You are going to have a rude awakening next monday my friend. The fans will no longer chant "YOU SCREWED MATT" they will chant "MATT SCREWED THE FANS". Have a good night (I doubt you'll get any sleep).

I love it when wrestling fans think they're somehow owed the truth. Great!

So now, they've successfully added another layer to this angle, as if there weren't enough already. Rock the fuck on!

From Meltzer:

Matt Hardy update

by Dave Meltzer

[email protected]

Although I'm sure most everyone has figured it out by now, what happened last night involving Matt Hardy was a planned part of the wrestling show.

In hindsight, it's been pretty clear ever since they played his music at the wedding that WWE had a deal with him to return. The WWE simply isn't that stupid. I have to give Matt Hardy credit in that the internet posts he wrote last week were very clever, enough to where I actually thought he was going to TNA and turning down the best potential angle in his career for the chance to fully control his life and schedule. The only problem has always been his failure to commit to doing TNA and failure to commit to new indy bookings over the past few weeks from people who had agreed to his price. He will make his indy bookings he had agreed to up to this point, from what we understand. It is possible he may commit to some new ones if he and the company will attempt to go to great lengths to get over that he's not with the company. At this point, they really need to make it as believable as possible on television, without insulting people's intelligence off televisoin by trying to believe everyone's hand hasn't been tipped.

As to when the deal was made for him to return, certainly most evidence indicates before June 13th. It is possible it was an elaborate work on everyone dating back longer than that. Last night's deal was well done in the ring. But if this was a longer and more elaborate work, I can't believe they'd have given it away by teasing the brawl with the Hardy music footage early, and the brawl backstage before the main brawl gave away the main brawl before it started. Taking him backstage as opposed to out the door was a technical mistake I was shocked they made. It's a minor point overall, but consideing how much thought had been put into other aspects, I was surprised at the minor points of execution considering what was trying to be portrayed. At some point stopping shooting him as if an order was made to not air this on the show (making sure he got his face time in with the idea in the chaos nobody at first knew how to react) would have at least allowed people to question whether it was or wasn't supposed to be on the show.

It's clear everyone involved believes they can continue the work and people will believe it, from the WWE web site not acknowledging it, and Hardy trying to put it over as a shoot. For WWE's site to continue the work is fine and good, and it should, as that's the job of the company. For Hardy, under his own name, to insist on his own site to his own fans, when everyone knows better, is going to turn pathetic in a hurry.

It will be interesting how he plays it on Saturday at the ROH show. It'll be interesting how the crowd reacts as well. If he tries to put over what happened as a shoot and cuts an anti-WWE promo, I could see the crowd turning on him like they did when Shane Douglas claimed he turned down appearing at the ECW PPV when the live crowd all knew the TNA contracted performers were never offered a slot to begin with. Hopefully in the end, Matt Hardy's most brilliant work won't end with the sad sight that the person being worked the most is Matt, when he doesn't realize from this point forward, you can make it as real as possible on television, but from this point forward, if you try and go any farther with "it's a shoot, really, still," the worker ends up working mostly himself.