Pro Wrestling Only

Wrestlemania 29 Thoughts

goodhelmet

Enjoyed that much more than the two Taker/HHH matches and Punk being King Dick of the universe helped a lot. Heyman on the outside was incredible, Punk's facials as he couldn't keep Taker down were awesome, as well as his shit-eating grin after hitting old-school. Crazy fun match and it's great seeing Taker's opponents come up with ways to make the near falls believable year after year. Punk got way closer than HHH IMO, especially with the urn shot. Crowd seemed to genuinely believe it was finished for a second.

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Really enjoyed Punk juggling the urn and then playing stick and move early. And how can you not pop for him countering old school and then doing it himself? Whole match was well put together, though I'm not sure the Punk elbow spot came off as impressively as it should've considering how nutty it was. Strike exchange at the end felt genuinely intense rather than pro forma. The urn shot led to a nifty nearfall. Excellent Wrestlemania match, better than it had any right to be.

I'm also generally okay with the lack of arm selling by Taker because it was a containment segment, mainly. This felt a little more like an Edge vs Taker match to me than HHH or HBK vs Taker but when they were doing the forearms on their knees, it felt like Punk did belong in there with him so that was good I guess. The throat-cut was pretty ridiculous though.

I was surprised how much Undertaker did sell. He put Punk across as a real top guy, and he got to kick out of the tombstone. He didn't give as much as he does in the 'Legend' matches, but that is to be expected. The match was harmed by the lack of any suspense, since we knew who was winning, but as Dylan said it worked well as a standalone big event match. A good example of WWE main event style actually, had pretty much everything you might expect from the table spot to the finisher kick outs etc. Paced exactly how you would expect, worked exactly how you'd expect.

Lot of time left for only two big matches.

Taker sold perfectly well for Punk. Given the context, I'm not sure that match could have been much better.

It was absolutely as good as it possibly could have been, with the minor qualifier that I thought Punk was up to early on the tombstone and I thought some of the reversals looked a bit cooperative.

HHH vs. Lesnar

Man, this was uninteresting as all get out till the last few minutes. I did love Brock busting Shawn's face up. I would have been incredibly pissed if HHH had won with the kimura lock. Anyways, this bored me to tears and the finish was utterly ridiculous and stupid. The crowd only cared a little bit too which was hilarious.